Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends(7)
Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:09 AM

Good morning,

Thought I'd go ahead and start another volume this morning.  This way I won't be replying to my post from yesterday morning.  Where is everyone?

It's cool here this morning with a windchill.   Looks like it may be cloudy but tomorrow is the first day of Spring and it's supposed to be 74.  I'm soooo ready for that - I think everyone else is, too.

Things are fine here.   Everyone has been fed except Ray, Barclee and I.  They're still asleep.  I've already been out - before daylight so now I'm relaxing with a cup of hot tea and watching QVC (Liz Claiborne New York).   I don't know why I keep looking at and sometimes buying clothing.  We don't go anywhere and I tend to wear the same few pieces all the time anyway.   Guess it's just a woman thing.

Hope you all have a good, peaceful day - which is what we all need.

Twink
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:21 AM

Hey Lorita! Glad to hear you're having a pretty good morning! Ours - not so good, but at least a bit warmer. (Has been well below zero the last few mornings & we're all in w/ the cold!)

Today, I'm overwhelmed, even cried. Norton's tumor & Mom's AD are both progressing. Both are having some urinary incontinence, so this AM before work, I had to shampoo livingroom rug for 3 overnight Norton accidents, then do the rug in Moms room as she dribbled all the way to the bathroom as soon as she got up this AM. (I put Silhouettes on Mom last night but apparently she decided not to wear them & took them off.)

DH says maybe it's time to put Norton to sleep, but how is that going to effect Mom? They're best buddies, & besides, how's she supposed to feel about her "leakiness" if she knows that's one of the reasons Norton would be put down? I guess we'll just take it ( & shampoo rugs) day by day, & see what happens. Big hugs from the Piddle Queen, Twink

Sea Field
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:42 AM

Lorita,  relaxing with a cup of tea sounds wonderful!  Glad you are getting the time to relax.  Enjoy the 74 degrees tomorrow.  I'll be thinking of you.  We are hoping for upper 30s around here.

Twink,  So sorry to hear about Norton.  It is heartbreaking when our pets are ailing.  Last summer when one of our cats passed I thought DH would notice she was missing, but he didn't.  So I didn't bring it up either.  I'm not sure how far along your Mom is, but would a fiblet work?  The dog is at the groomers?   Or if she does pick up that the dog passed could you say it was a heart attack?    btw, whenever I get discouraged about the winter weather around here (WI) I think, at least it's not as bad as where Twink lives!!  Though probably not by much.   

Linda Dee
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:52 AM

Hi All.

Thanks, Lorita, for starting a new volume. Much easier, for me at least.

Twink, so very sorry about Norton. I will say a prayer for him too. 

My favorite neighbors, who own the Springer Spaniel, have learned the husband has ALS. He is in a fast downhill slide. I am so sad.

RE agent that showed our home yesterday called last night, to say ppl loved our home. Okay, now bring us an offer we can work with!

Did you read the new thread where Namenda, both 5 and 10 mg will be discontinued? Drug manufac. will make a new extended release formula. They ask cg please tell their lo doctors.

Lorita, our weather is pretty close to yours. Cloudy, overcast with wind chill and about 40*. Sun is suppose to shine this afternoon......I sure hope so!!

So, did you name that kitten "Sneaker"? He was a little Sneaker, to sneak into bed with you!

Stay strong Friends.

My neighbor, recently diagnosed with ALS, really has me thinking, if I had a choice, which would I choose, for my lo??

Linda Dee

milmac111
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:14 PM

Hi Twink ~ glad to hear the weather is warming a bit. We are warming up some down here,( days balmy 40's) and hoping to send it your way soon.

Very sorry to hear of advancement in stages with both Norton and Mom. My Mom had a beloved dachshund mix. Taffy was 16+ yrs. old, and had multiple health problems and was mostly blind. The monthly meds bill for her was high. In hind sight, we probably kept her going about 6 months longer than we should have, for the same reasons you are struggling with. So I don't have much advice there. But, is it possible to keep Norton in a bathroom or pantry at night, where clean up is easier, or washable rag rugs can be placed?

When I had problem with hubby getting urine on bedroom rug. Since the distance to the bathroom was short I used one of those plastic runners and taped it down to minimize tripping possibilities.  

Not sure if that is feasible for your situation, but at least these are a couple of ideas.

Bless you all and stay strong,

Milly

PS. I have tried sooo many cleaners and have found that the Woolite- pet stain & odor remover+oxy, was the best at odor and stain removal.

Twink
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:37 PM

Hey y'all, had to pop back in. Just talked to vet & he said chances are the prednisone Norton is on is causing the accidents, & hopefully leaks will stop once we're through the meds! (Just ordered a piddle belt to tide us over!) 

Sea Field, Mom's heading into stage 6, but has her head about Norton. Those two are thicker than thieves - sleep together, curl up on couch together,.. I really do worry about Norton passing & it sending her into a major downhill spiral. She truly would be lost w/o him! 

On a lighter note, glad my weather can make you feel better about yours! (Something good has to come out of this arctic crap!) 

Linda Dee, So sorry to hear about your neighbor! ALS is a pretty nasty disease too! One of my DH's best friends fought a long, hard battle w/ MS & ALS. (We lost him a few years back.) DH spent time w/ him daily from diagnosis until the end, & said it was one of the hardest things he'd ever done or seen. Life is just so unfair sometimes! 

My ever-so-awesome aunt is taking Mom this Fri thru Sun so I can have a couple days off! Hoping to get the rest of my new woodwork stained while she's away. Wishing all a great day! Hugs, Twink 

PS: Milly, Thanks for the great tips! Will be trying those runners tonight!

silvertop
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:08 PM

Hate to hear about any one having ALS. My mother had a variant - primary lateral sclerosis.  She lived 16 years from first symptoms which isn't unusual for PLS, but ALS goes much faster.  When my mom died (of sepsis from a bowel perforation) she could move her head and right arm slightly.  But her mind was completely there.  I'm not sure which is worse - both are awful.

Tomorrow my daughter and I are taking Jim to see the State Vet's home.  He's less interested than he was, but I think he needs to see that it's an okay place.  I've copied pages and pages of financial stuff, and when they offer a bed, once that is worked out, I have 5 days to decide.  And it could be as early as next week.  So I'm a basket case and still coughing and wheezing from bronchitis.  There is no right decision, but I'm getting so tired.  As I said before, the home is quite close, 15 minutes away, so that isn't an issue.  He'll be in the personal care or skilled nursing wing. 

This whole thing just plain sucks.  He's started to have some hallucinations now, or else they are dreams he thinks are real.  So far they are harmless and not like his delusions which mostly he seems to have forgotten. I wish I could.  He has no interest at all in the new car - hasn't even seen it yet.  Doesn't seem to care that I bought it.  So unlike he used to be.  

Enough of all of that.  Hopefully tomorrow will go okay, especially with my daughter there.  Mentally I was figuring this would have to come about by summer, but maybe this is the time.  And it's going to snow - - Carolyn

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Good evening, everyone,

Linda Dee - it does seem easier to get on the thread.   Do you  have any idea where you're going to move when your house sells?  

Twink - sorry about your mother and Norton.  I'm sorry, I've forgotten where his tumor is.   We have a three-legged dog, Jeff, that we've started let stay in the house during the cold weather.  I left him out on the sunny porch all day yesterday.  He went through a period of having accidents, too.  Luckily we have hardwood floors and tile in the kitchen but it's the stick-down type and some of it has loosened.  Guess when the weather permits I'll take it up and put down some more.   He's gotten so old (about 15) that it's hard for him to get up with three legs on the wooden floors.  I have to help him and hold him until he gets steady on his feet and then he can get out.  For the life of me I don't know how he can get up the three steps to the porch - but he does.    If I watch him closely and get him outside two or three times a day he does all right.  I know you can't do that during the night with Norton though.  

Barclee can't see so I usually carry him out to the porch and then put him down and verbally direct him down the steps and back up again.  He weighs about l7 lbs. so it's hard to pick him up many times a day.  He's so good though and follows instructions.

Ray went with me to feed and helped lift the sacks tonight.  Before we came back in the house I saw Peaches running around outside.  I don't think I let him out but maybe the door didn't close good and he got out.  He still  has some of his medications to take after his ear surgery but he seems like he's feeling just fine so maybe it's okay.

I'm anxious about leaving to make Ray's two appointments tomorrow.  I have five cows up (four to calve) and I hate to leave.  I think we'll have to be gone about three hours so maybe it'll be okay.  I saw "Jet" (if that's the name everyone wants) running around this afternoon.  When I let the cows through the gate he came through and then began wandering around. His mom stopped and called him to come on and he did.  Then, he spent a long time running around, playing, while she ate.  I'll be glad when all of them are on the ground and can run and play together.  They're so cute - we sometimes just sit for a long time watching them,.   Weather is supposed to be in the mid 70s tomorrow and next day and then cool off for the rest of the month.

Tomorrow is the first day of Spring - we all made it through winter although I know some of you are still having cold weather.  I hope the summer isn't as hot as the winter was cold.

Linda Dee
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:57 PM

Hi all.

Ken did find hia lost hearing aid. It was in the first drawer, where he had already looked three times. And it was laying right on top! But, I am glad he found it!

Have a restful night Friends.

And have a Happy First Day of Spring tomorrow!!

Linda Dee

Cheznut
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:53 AM

Haven't checked in with this side of the world lately.  Boy, do I need a pet,  I do have  flowers out on balcony, first day of spring!! Things pretty well downhill over here, think I've reached my limit of what I can do, handle  ,  guess its going to have to be a board and care place.  Hubby was a WW2 veteran, but only had active duty for less than 2 years, right about the end of war days, not a career vet, so no qualifications there..for va home.
Twink
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:37 AM

Well, to celebrate the first day of Spring, we got 6" of new snow! Phooey! Last night, I decided to try something: Took 2 of DH's old socks, a thick Poise pad & made a temporary piddle belt to hold Norton over until the one I ordered comes in. Worked better than expected!

Took him out for "last call" at 9:30PM, then put his outfit on, & had NO leaks! Woke him up at 4:30 AM, took it off (DRY!), & let him out to do business. Perfect! And an added bonus: Mom didn't fuss a bit about putting on her Silhouettes, or keeping them on, since Norton needed "leak catchin'  britches" too! Hooray, another obstacle kinda overcome!

Lorita, Hoping the forthcoming calves stay put until you're there to deal w/ them! Wishing all a great day!  Hugs, Twink

silvertop
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:50 PM

Just got home from the SWPA Vet's home.  I left all the financial data, and should hear about that next week.  Jim is fourth on the bed list, so now they say about a month which is fine.  Our daughter met us there and was a big help.  She ended up in tears over the whole thing - just feeling bad about how her dad has deteriorated.  But amazingly Jim came home happy.  He liked the place, thinks that is where his dad was (he wasn't, but who cares), and thinks he could stay there!  He realized how close it is to our house - 15 minutes - and all in all he thought it was okay.  Today, at least!

I drove my new car today, and that went fine.  I do need to read the book to know what all the knobs do.  Jim's aide will be here soon, and I'll go shopping.  I'm still wheezing and coughing, but I do feel better.

I'm just so surprised by Jim's attitude toward the home.  I fully expected him to battle the idea.  Maybe on some level he realizes how hard this is all getting to be.  I still don't have to make a final decision until a bed is offered, so it's one step at a time.  Next Wednesday, March 26, is our 48th wedding anniversary.  I just never thought this is how I'd be spending it.  Sorry, tears are coming.  Carolyn

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:53 PM

Good evening,

Linda Dee - glad Ken found his hearing aid - things like that always make me feel better.   I don't know if I told you all or not but the one over-the-ear hearing aid that we still have ended up in the laundry.  I found it, I think, when I started to put clothes in the dryer - or maybe I dried it, don't remember.    Anyway, last week we took it in to send to Denver for repair and the girl said we needed an appt. for them to check it.  We went today and the guy was going to send it in but put a battery in it - and it worked!  I hadn't even tried a battery - I thought it wasn't together good enough.  The two parts screw together instead of push together like I tried.  Hurray!  Also got some more of the little cords to hook onto his new ones (if we can find one of them) and then it hooks to his shirt so maybe it won't get lost - if we can find it.

He had his eye exam and things were okay.  He couldn't read the chart, not that he couldn't see it.  I don't know if he just didn't understand or if he didn't know what the letters were.  Anyway the health of his eyes is okay - only a small bleed from diabetic retinopathy that he had before.   They have a way to test the eyes by dilating them and then reflecting light off the back of the eye.   He'll get new glasses in a couple of weeks.  I'm going to get one of those cords that hook to the glasses for him to wear around his neck and maybe we can keep track of them.   I don't know - maybe it's a losing battle - but I'll keep trying.

He was great the whole time we were gone- so very polite, yes ma'am, thank you, etc. 

Everything was fine when we got home, gone a little over four hours.   He has another appointment Monday but maybe by then we'll have more babies and I won't be in such a hurry.  This morning on QVC they had a wind spininer or wind sculpture as Today's Special Value.   It was a little over 6' tall and had double spinners.   I ordered one and can't wait for it to come.  I think I'll put it at the end of the pink bathtub north of the house.   We can see it pretty well from the house.  I wish I could put it in the yard but can't think of a place.  Maybe by the time it comes, I'll think of something.   I'd like to find a couple of really nice, comfortable, outside chairs to put on the front porch - I think that'll be my next project - maybe Amazon.  I don't know if they have things like that.

Cheznut - wish you lived close to us and you could have as many cats as you'd like.  They are a lot of company.   Luther is still hanging on and eating pretty well but still thin.  Maybe he's going to make it.  

Carolyn - I'm glad the trip to the SVC went well and that your husband liked it.  That will make things much easier for  you if you place him.   I still want to make a trip to Claremore to see that one - when calving is over and the weather is nice.   I don't wan to place Ray but you just never know how things will turn out and if I have to, I'll know more about it and it might not be so hard.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:56 PM

Hi again,

I get so exasperated with this sometimes.  I get so far and if I need to go back to change something or add something I can't.  Anyway, Cheznut, have you checked to be sure your husband isn't  eligible for a State Veterans Home?   I think they'll eligible if they have at least one day wartime service.    Call your Veterans Benefits Counselor or the Social Worker and be sure.  

Got to go.  I just got up from a nap and then Ray got up and brought out a couple of sets of clothes.  I'll have to put them back.   This happens at least once or twice a day.

catlady
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 5:22 AM

First day of spring was pretty good here...got into the mid 60's. 

Mike has gotten into the habit of wandering around our downstairs during the evening after dinner.  Every time he goes into the kitchen, he gets into some kind of "trouble."  Like pulling things out of the kitchen trash can or pulling the meat tray out of the refrigerator.,,who knows why he does these things.  I try to keep my eyes on him ( like he is a 3 year old).    Last night I was watching television and he was roaming around as usual.  When I got up to check out what he was doing, he was standing in front of the container of hard cat food that I keep on the counter and was munching on a couple of pieces.    Today, it is kind of funny but last night, it made me cry.......he had no idea what he was doing.....it's just another step down that path of the disease.    I just don't want to clear everything off my kitchen counters..We don't have enough cabinet space to put everything in them......I feel like I'm digging my heels in and saying.....I'm not going to change this!!!   Bummer....bummer.....

milmac111
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 6:03 AM

catlady~ I am sorry Mike is losing his judgment on what is food and what is not. I remember when that happened with Mac. It was not too long after that, that I walked into the kitchen to find he had poured himself a nice refreshing glass of WINDEX ! It will soon be time for some child proofing, if you have not done it already, to keep him safe. I know it is a sad new step.

Bless you both and stay strong,

Milly

Lorita
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 10:00 AM

Good morning,

catlady, Ray's doing the same thing.  I've caught him several times eating dry catfood and trying out the treats.   I've  never tasted it so don't know what it tastes like.  I know some of it doesn't smell very good.   He'll sometimes find something on the floor and pick it up and start to put it in his mouth.  Have to watch them like hawks.

He went through a phase of spraying things into his mouth so had to get those things put up.  The other thing I heard an aerosol can being sprayed in the bathroom and went in and he was spraying the air with hairspray.  

It is so sad to see things like this happening.  He rummages through things, drawers, cabinets, etc. and takes things out.  He's even gotten into the freezer and laid things out on the cabinet.   I don't know if he's hungry or just curious and finds something that he thinks looks good and takes it out.  

Guess we'll just have to hang in there and keep watching - not easy to do all the time.  I do know if he gets quiet I another room, I better check on what's going on.

It;'s cloudy and windy here today but supposed to be warm but the wind feels cold to me.  I need to do dishes today and then we'll feed late this afternoon.

Sea Field
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 11:52 AM

Carolyn,  I'm glad that Jim has been so cooperative while you are considering placement.  That helps a lot.  Even so, what a difficult choice to have to make.  Sometimes I think that I might be able to keep Tom at home for the duration though most of the time I suspect I will place him at some point.  Seems like I am wearing out faster than he is.  Right now my goal is to get him through this summer (should warm weather actually ever come!!).  And then re-evaluate in fall.  My thoughts and prayers are with you while you look long and hard at these choices.  Though I am not walking in your shoes yet, I think I will be at some point.

Catlady,  Sorry Mike is entering a new phase.  You do have to be more vigilant once they can no longer discriminate between food and non food items.  Tom tries to eat many things, he calls everything a cookie.   Found him chewing on my cell phone, money, plastic bowls and covers, his apron, a blanket, game pieces from daycare,...  Whenever he holds his mouth funny while talking I know I need to go get a flashlight and take a look.  Glad you are starting to see the humor in it.  When no one gets hurt, it can be funny.

Blessings, Cynthia

Mama Sue
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 6:22 PM

Hi ladies,

Sounds like several of us ( or all of us ) are struggling with odd changes.

I spent 2 or 3 days trying to convince Leo a shower was a good idea.   We were expecting a visit from a grandson,  his wife and 2 little boys,  3 yrs and 20 mos old.   I wanted Leo to be freshly showered and shaved so he could hold the boys.   We "discussed "  it 24/7 for a couple of days....finally got the job done but not without making him mad at me.

The visit was lovely,  the boys are precious!  They live in South Dakota and we had never seen the youngest.   They are expecting a new baby in May,   don't know the gender but the 3 yr old said God told him it's a baby sister.

Linda Dee,  it made me sad to hear about your neighbor with ALS.  My brother's wife is pretty far along with it  and my sister lost her husband to ALS.   My DH is almost 87 but I have a feeling he will outlive the SIL.   My brother and I were close and I wish I could help him more.  He"s in TX,  We're in OK.   At least they have a large, helpful family.

Twink,  I had a laugh at your description of the " piddle panties" for Norton.  Glad your Mom's wearing hers too.  We are a creative bunch when the need arises.   But,  Oh my goodness....6 more inches of  snow!  Will it ever end?

Carolyn,   I hope everything works out just right when you do have to make the decision about the VA home.   Try to make a special memory for yourself  on your 48th anniversary.  Even if Jim doesn't remember,  you will.

Lorita,  Four more babies on the way....Life does renew itself,  doesn't it.

Do any of you think pets can have dementia,  or become senile?  I have an old female Jack Russell  who acts oddly.   She can see and hear okay,  still,  she goes in the wrong direction and bumps into things.... sometimes gets her nose in a corner and doesn't seem to know how to back out.   I think she has aching joints but once she gets moving,  she runs like the wind.

This is long .  I'd better sign off.   Don't you love the sunshine?   Susie

Babs Willis
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:37 AM

What a week! Doug is good one minute and off his rocker the next! Standing has been difficult, won't do it when we need him too (slumps right to the floor) or stands out of his chair 15 to 20 times when I need him to stay put for a few minutes! He has been sent home from daycare twice this week - once for being ornery, tipping tables and into everything. That day I discovered that he had hidden their portable phone in his pants, maybe to keep them from calling me? I was so embarrassed and laughing at the same time. 

Lorita I want to see this pink bathtub! I am sure you use it for the cows, but I would want to fill it with flowers or herbs.

Catlady I think we all have to look after our loved ones like they are children   I get frustrated, then I try to find some humor in it. If we can't laugh at the situation (they say laughter is good medicine) we end up stressed and crying.

Carolyn, glad you were able to visit the facility and Jim liked it. Such a difficult decision to make, but you will make the one that is right for you and and your husband. We are here for you. 

Enjoy your weekend   

Barbara 

Babs Willis
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 11:10 AM

Here is my latest quilt. It is for my sister who has been helping me with Doug for the past year. I could not do it without her!  The title is "you light my journey through the dark forest"

Barbara. 

File Attachment(s):
image(15).jpg (45180 bytes)

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 11:15 AM

Good morning,

I'm so sorry that most of us are dealing with almost the same things.  It really makes things hard.  I feel like I keep the washer going most of the time (really don't, just seems like it).

Babs, I do have flowers in the pink bathtub.  For years, on my way to work, I'd see this bathtub at a house with flowers in it.  One day Ray and I stopped and they sold it to us.  They had a couple more.  It took four of us to load it in the pick up and Ray and I had problems getting it out and leveled.  I repainted it with a fresh coat of pink paint and the first few years had petunias in it but the last few years I've planted pink vinca.  They do better in our hot weather and it's in full sunshine, almost under the Royal Empress trees.  The vinca does so well - also put a few Dusty Millers around the edges.  They overwinter and bloom (yellow) the next year.   

I just realized our yard hasn't greened up except for a few little weeds with purple flowers.  Yesterday when we were out in the pasture there were lovely, tiny pink flowers blooming.   We have rye grass and bemuda in the yard and by the time the rye is usually pretty and green.   I'm afraid the very cold winter has killed it.  I'm also afraid it's killed most of the flower buds on the Royal Empress tree.  We'll see.

Another new baby!   Yesterday Ray and I went to the mailbox and saw a cow by herself in the pasture.  We brought her to the barn. That was about l p.m.  At 4 her water broke, by 5 all I could see were the two hooves and nose.  She seemed to be having trouble so called the vet and went to the road to open the gate.  When I got back the baby had been born.  I cleared out his mouth and put a straw in his nose to make him sneeze.  Then I did what I've seen Dr. Pol do - I  poured part of a bucket of water on him.  That woke him up for sure.   Megan, his mom, couldn't get up.  She's lay on her side and stretch as far as she could to get to the baby.  I pulled him over and she started cleaning him up.   She got up almost an hour later but I had the vet give her some pain med and some to keep the swelling down.  He confirmed that three of the cows I have up could calve any time and one other in a couple of weeks.   I went out at MN and about 3:30 and then 7.  I'll keep a close check on them but Ray has an appt. Monday at the VA so we'll have to be gone a couple of hours.

I haven't seen the baby nurse yet but I gave him some colostrum before his mom got up last night.  I'll watch today.  His back is kind of  humped up but the vet says he'll straighten out.

Ray's doing pretty well this morning - had to help him change everything from the waist down.  This happened twice yesterday.  I have an antidiarrhea pill so I'll give him another one today.  

Mama Sue - I know what you mean about the shower.   Ray and I go round and round and finally get it done - then, he's much happier.   I'm glad the visit went well and Leo enjoyed it.

It's colder her today and windy but it's sunny.  They had rain southeast of us last night but not here.   March will be over before we know it and then we'll be complaining about the hot weather and change out the closets.

Last night the vet told me the tumor in Peaches' ear was cancer.  He thinks he got all of it and I really hope he did.  She's a treasure - so active and playful.  I had wondered about whether it might have affected her eye and he said it could have but she can see out of it and acts like she feels good.  Luther is still hanging in - I even think he may be gaining a little bit of weight.

I'm taking up space and everyone's time so I'll stop for now and read what everyone else is doing.  Have a nice Saturday.

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:56 PM

Went to B.A. Yesterday, looked at and decided to build the house.  Dh really enjoyed being out, but was really confused and agitated most of the day.  We came home today and he was better, (except for backseat driving).  

My daugher had her min pin in an agility show today.  The first time out, she was a very happy dog, tried to start off going wrong way, did her jumps (which are 4" high), but she wasn't supposed to be doing jumps,  she was very happy.  Then on her second run she got first place, a leg on her UAG11.  At almost 5 lb. she was the smallest dog there.  It was a beautiful day out yesterday and today.

Bonnie

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 10:54 AM

Good windy, cold, Sunday morning,

jfkoc - I haven't seen a post from you lately.  Let us hear how you, Dick and Luke are doing.   We miss you.

I think  I probably have a bottle baby (the last birth).   Mom had two huge front teats and the back ones are small.  I don't know that there's milk in them.  I fed her this morning and tried to get the baby on one, to no avail.  She wasn't patient enough for me to try very long or to let me see if I could get milk flowing.  Anyway, I gave him half a bottle this morning - I'll do the same at noon and tonight.  He's not lank and looks good and gets around good.  I made a nice, clean, hay bed for him by the stall door and put up part of a cattle panel across it so I could open the door and he could get fresh air and see the other cows and Jet.  By the way, Jet is doing great - running and playing.  Wish the new baby could be out with him. 

The other girls are still going - went out three times last night.

This is a small thing but every time I log in or at least 8 out of 10 times I have to type my e-mail address and password.  Are any of you all having that problem?

Mama Sue
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 12:59 PM

I don't have to put in my email.   I just click sign in and I'm good.  I use Google chrome.
Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 1:22 PM

Congratulations on the new babies, Lorita!  I am going to try to crochet them some baby booties and baby bonnets - won't they look just adorable gamboling about in the pasture wearing their cute little pink and blue baby things?  Their Mommies will be so proud.

Now all you need is a wet nurse for the last little one.  Where in the world is Elsie, the Borden cow when you need her?  (Probably flirting with Elmer who is busy with his glue factory - need to keep the horses away from him!)

Sounds like the births have been going well which must be a huge relief.  Are there more to go yet?  Jet sounds as though he is really right at home and thriving.  That must be awesome to watch.

Except for minor blips, it sounds as though Mr. Ray has been doing alright in a holding pattern and that is a good thing; he surely does love his Lorita.  I still wonder about his hiding places where he has hidden, lo, those many, many disappeared items.  Pretty clever and pretty darned effective! 

I have just received advance copies of the book, "Chicken Soup for the Soul . . .Living With Alzheimer's and Related Dementias," sent by the publisher.  I was astonished to have my short story vignette accepted to be included in the book.  There are about 100 stories in the book, each written by a different person; caregivers and those with the disease.  I do wonder how many of them are folks who are Members on this Message Board?  I sure wish I knew, it would be awesome to know who they are.  The books will come out to sell to the public soon AND the Alzheimer's Assn. is gifted donations from the sales.  That is great.

It is now officially Spring; someone needs to send that Memo to Mother Nature and Old Man Winter; they are a bit behind schedule.  I wanted a new patio set for the back yard, and had looked last year too, but didn't find anything I wanted.  Well; I looked online and didn't see anything; and also looked at Macy's Department store online where I saw some very nice ones, but too expensive.

Well; I was in Macy's and there was the very same set I saw online and it was on sale in-store with an additional discount on top of it for  three days -  almost 50% less in price!   It was not a floor model, so I don't know why the difference, but I decided to snap it up right away.  I have to get the back yard ready for summer; IF my knees will let me.  They have been pretty obnoxious last few days.  Ah well.

Our back yard is SoCal style; very small.  Hankerchief size; it would drive Lorita nuts methinks.  Anyway, we have two tiered brick planters around the entire back yard on two different levels, and I have to find bedding plants to fill some of them.  I'd like something colorful that is not too tall; especially for the front planters, and that can spread a bit, and that can last awhile, and that can sustain full summer sun as our northern exposure brings on hot sun during the afternoon.

I also need to enrich the soil and will have to buy bags of something or other to sweeten it up; what is it that I want? I am SO not good at this, but the spirit is willing.

We used to have a marvelous, huge nursery in our community, but the private owner who had it for years and years, retired and sold it to one of those "big box" concerns.  They ran it into the ground and then closed it, so we are without a nursery anywhere near.  Sigh.  Suggestions for bedding plants and soil enrichment will be appreciated.

My husband has an appointment with a Neurosurgeon tomorrow; he still has the pinched nerve in his neck secondary to herniated discs which causes numbness and tingling in his affected arm and hand; but he refuses to have any surgery no matter what; so I am not quite sure why he is seeing the Neurosurgeon; but knowledge is power, so at least we will be fully informed about what is what and then the options.  I will go to the appointment with him; if I don't, the back and forth sharing of pertinent information will be severely anemic.  Most women will understand this completely.

Of course, he is not to lift anything heavy; or push, pull, carry, raise his arms above shoulder height, etc. . . . this will permit the edema pinching the nerves to subside.  But can you gals guess what actually happens?????  He feels better; he lifts, pushes, pulls, raises his arms above his head lifting heavy things and then lifts some more . . . outcome:  worsening of numbness, tingling and discomfort.  Gee; wonder why?  I no longer say anything, he knows.  I am shaking my head while writing this.  Another sigh.

I was once again wondering about SadHubby; I don't think we will hear from him, but I certainly do wish he would let us know how he and his wife are. 

Well . . . time to get a move on, have a good rest of the day everyone and may the new coming week also be a positive one.

Hugs to all,

Johanna

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 10:50 PM

Good evening,

Jet and the new they'd be the envy of all the cows.  Hopefully, the new may not need a wet nurse.  I'd thought if one of the other cows calves pretty soon I might get her to take him.  I've done that before by keeping the cow's calf away from her until she's really hungry, then letting them both in.  She would then let her baby nurse along with the other one.  Anyway, today I saw the baby latch on to one of the back one.  Evidently he's getting some milk because he would let go and take it again for a little while.  I only got half a bottle of milk replacer down him today so he's not hungry.  He's begun to jump around and play.  They are so cute when they start jumping.

Yes, there will be more.  I have four cows up now that will calve any time and there's some more in the pasture not ready to put up yet.  Calving will go through April.  The last birth wasn't easy (baby had a red eye which means it was hard).  Scared me to death - it always does.   Maybe the rest of them will be all right  - it's best when I go out and the baby's there and already up but you need to know when it's happening to be sure everything goes right.

Johanna - hope your husband's neurosurgeon visit goes well and that everything's all right.  Ray has a podiatry appointment tomorrow and maybe he can get his new diabetic shoes.   He seems to be doing all right at the present and I'm thankful for that.

Aren't you glad you  happened to go to Macy's and saw the patio set.  That was really lucky.  I'd like to have a couple of new, comfortable chairs to put on the front porch.  We have a couple of redwood chairs and a chaise lounge but they're old and I can't find comfortable cushions for them.  With all the mosquitos the last couple of years, we're almost afraid to sit out there in the evenings.

It's been cool and windy here today and will be for the next two or three days before it warms up. But, Spring is here and things are blooming.   I'd recommend vinca for your flower beds.  They only grow 8-12" tall and spread and withstand hot weather and sun very well.   That's what I put in our pink bathtub and it's in full sun.    I use Miracle Gro fertilizer and for potting flowers I use garden soil and some well-rotted compost from the barn.  If you were close, you could have all you want of that.  We need to have the barn cleaned out this spring so everyone who needs some is welcome.  We have an antique manure spreader and we usually spread it on the pastures.  I'm sure Linda Dee will have some recommendations about the plants and soil supplement.

I haven't planted any of the bulbs I bought yet and haven't yet received the plants.  Yesterday I saw Peaches playing with something on the floor.  I thought it was a toy mouse but it was something organic.   I later realized it was a caladium bulb.  Ray had found them and opened a package and gave him one to play with.   Seems like I have to hide everything so he won't get into it.   Too early to plant them yet though.

Just finished shaving him and giving him his night medicine so better finish up and give him his inhalers and get to bed.   I'll get up a couple of times during the night after I check them before bedtime.  I usually get up before sunrise and check them and get out in the pastures to see the others.   Bella and Susie went with me in the CW tonight to check the girls.   They're getting so good at minding - thanks to Cesar's Way.  They both sit up straight in the seat with me and enjoy the ride.   Susie is big enough to get up into the PU but Bella has to have a little bit of help because it's so high but she's learn or maybe I need to get a stepstool for her. 

Hope everyone has a nice, calm night and a good Monday.

catlady
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 10:18 AM

Lorita, More babies!  Have you ever watched Lucky Dog on CBS?  I think it comes on at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday mornings.
Twink
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 4:09 PM

Hello to all from the still frozen tundra! (Was 11 below again this AM!) It's getting ugly up here - Cabin Fever has really set in!

Got Norton's piddle belt in on Fri. It's a lovely teal color & we can use men's Teena pads w/ it. Now that we've fussed over his "pretty pants" enough, he seems quite content w/ it.

Disaster in the chicken coops yesterday! While I was gone to VT to pick up Mom from aunts, a bobcat struck - in broad daylight! - & killed 8 of my girls before DH could get out there to run it off. Needless to say, the survivors are being kept in until we can eliminate the threat. Have baited a couple large live-traps, so hopefully can catch it so Fish & Game can come pick it up & relocate it. We always try to relocate predators first. After all, they're just doing what comes natural to them. (I can't blame that cat one bit as I've been known to enjoy a nice chicken dinner on Sunday too!)

Mom was okay for my aunt, but aunt did comment on progression. (Mom's having a hard time w/ her jigsaw puzzles now. Would rather stack the pieces than find where they go.) Oh well, it is what it is. Hoping all have as good a night as possible. Hugs, Twink

Mama Sue
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 5:55 PM

Twink, 

I'm just jumping in here to say how much I appreciate you,  Lorita and others who take the trouble to use the BOLD PRINT feature.   It makes a big difference for me (I'm legally blind)   Today I have had to skip several posts I  

really wanted to read.   The dim print makes my eyes water and if I keep trying ,  they begin to jerk.   I have an appointment with my  eye doctor in June.  I'm concerned about what she will find.  Prayers appreciated.   I really can't afford to lose any more vision.  I have too much depending on my remaining good health.   We all do.  And these boards  have helped me so much...don't want to lose them.

Just saying thanks,   Susie

Babs Willis
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 6:53 PM

Susie, I was wondering why people were holding there replies, now I know.  I will try to remember to do it in the future.  Maybe you missed my quilt I just finished for my sister - it represents that she has been my light through the forest to the garden. I will attach it.

Lorita, any more babies? I admire your devotion to your animals, getting up at all hours of the night to check on them must be exhausting.

Huge storm coming up the coast but it is swinging away from us. Yippee! I don't think I could stand anymore snow.  

Twink, it was nearly as cold here in southern NH. My head was throbbing from being out in the cold for less than twenty minutes.

Here is the quilt for Susie to see.

Stay warm and be sure to do an anti snow dance for us.

File Attachment(s):
image(16).jpg (45180 bytes)

telinde
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 7:21 PM

Lorita:  I had that same problem signing in for quite awhile.  I don't know what happened but I signed in and have been signed in since.  Yesterday I wanted to post replies while I was on and I would type up a reply and post it and it never would post.  Crazy things with this system.  I am sorry i don't have a clear cut answer. 

Hope your babies get into the world soon so you can rest for a couple of weeks.  Joan

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 8:27 PM

I touch the bold each time I post, but is never bold.  I post from my I pad, might be the reason.

Bonnie

Lorita
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 8:30 PM

Good evening, everyone,

Susie, I try to type my replies in bold but sometimes it just won't hold but I'll try to do better.  

Linda Dee - are you all getting any snow?   The weather tonight looked like even NE Okla. might get a little bit and Kansas was - don't know if it got over into Missouri or not.

Twink - Sorry your mom is progressing and that she isn't too much interested in puzzles anymore.  I have some pretty ones but not the patience to do them - maybe someday.   It's awful that your weather is still so cold but hang in there, Spring will arrive - sometime.

That's awful about your chickens.  I'm so glad you all try to live trap them and relocate them.  Our vet told me a while back that someone had seen a panther in our area which is unusual.  I think I may have seen a bobcat a few months ago.  We were driving on the road east of us and something crossed the road - bigger than a cat with a bobtail.   Didn't get a really good look at it though.

catlady - I've never watched Lucky Dog.  Is it animated or just an animal show?   I'll try to catch it Saturday morning.  Ray and I both like shows about animals - he's as much an animal lover as I am.   If you remember Abigail has two babies: one looks like a tabby and the other solid gray with a little white on his chest.  They're running around everywhere but I try to confine them to the bathroom.  This morning one must have gotten into the living room and Ray said "what's this?"  I looked and he was holding one of them around it's neck.  I don't know if he didn't know what it was or if he didn't realize what he was saying.   He didn't hurt it and probably didn't realize he was holding it the wrong way.  

Babs - The quilt you made is beautiful.  I imagine it takes a lot of patience to make something that beautiful.  One time I made a pillow top out of pieces of material but that's about the extent of something like that for me.   I do think they're beautiful though.

telinde - I'll be glad when these girls have their babies, too.  If they would have their babies when I think they should, I'd have a week or so to rest before the rest of them calve but at the rate they're going the two bunches of them are going to run together so this will go on through the end of April.  I got the new baby to take two bottles of milk today.  It always makes me sore because for the first few times I have to stand over them to get them to nurse (standing with them between my legs) and this baby is tall.  Makes my back and legs sore.  I left a little bit in the bottle tonight and let his mom back in so maybe she'll finish him up.  They were together all last night and today and again tonight.  

Today was a busy day for us - all the usual things this morning and then Ray's appointment this afternoon.  He got his new diabetic shoes and had his toenails trimmed.  I did find one little abrasion on his ankle - don't know how he did that.  We were only gone a little over two hours.  I don't like to be gone any longer than that during this time.   After we got home and rested a bit, we fed the girls and then I fed the six we have up, put some feed in the barn and fed the cats and the baby and then gave the girls in the lot another big bale of hay, then fixed something for us to eat.  I think I'm down for the night until I go out to check the girls before bedtime.   While I was finishing up the cold front came through and the wind changed to the north.  I just let Jeff back in and the wind is howling and it feels really cold.  I think it's supposed to be 29 tonight.  Today was beautiful, though.

I had planned earlier this month to have our income tax papers organized and ready to take to our CPA today but I didn't get it done.  I need to get to work on it - will only take a few hours to organize it and get it ready - if I can just get started on it.  

Hope everyone has a good night - and you ladies up north try to stay warm.

catlady
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:17 AM

Lorita,

I've been trying to remember where I saw the clip about Lucky Dog but the details won't come right now.  What I remember is that it's about a real guy who rescues dogs,,,,maybe from a shelter and trains them to do ??????  That's all I remember except that it comes on Saturday mornings at 7 a.m. on CBS

× Close Menu