Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Welcome To The Brand New Forum
Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 12:24 AM

Hello, and a very warm welcome to the newest Forum on the Message Board!  If you are new, we are glad you have found this helpful Board as well as this Forum and it is a very soft place to land.

Here on the Message Board, we come from all walks of life - different ethnic groups, different financial circumstances, different beliefs regarding faith, different age groups, different life styles, different professions, different levels of education, different living circumstances, and so much more - we're a microcosm of society at large.

The one thing we all have in common is that we have a Loved One (LO) who has been diagnosed with one of the various different dementias with all the dynamics, problems and feelings that surrounds such a diagnosis.  Our lives have been unalterably changed and this Message Board is the one place where one will find many others who truly understand as we are all walking similar paths.

There is no perfection in our journey; we can only do the best we can under the circumstances with the challenges at hand, but when we run into questions, problems, those "speed bumps," or just need to vent and let off steam; this Message Board is where you will find the absolute understanding, support, wonderful suggestions to assist with problem issues and a whole lot of experiential wisdom.

Myself, I am an RN whose mother had FrontoTemporal Dementia and whose MIL and step-father were diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. 

As you can see by the grid when you enter this site, there are multiple different Forums on the Message Board.  All Members are welcome to write (post) on any and all of the Forums and many of us do just that; we are not restricted to just one.  You will find many down to earth suggestions regarding the provision of care where the rubber hits the road; there is the Spousal/Partner Forum where spouses and partners are primary caregivers for their LO and doing the very best they can with grace of spirit.  The Caregivers Forum is the busiest Forum, and there are many problem issues presented with responses from others who have advice and suggestions.

The "I Have Alzheimers" and "Young Onset" Forums are for persons who have been diagnosed with dementia and are living with it and it gives us a new perspective to read and listen to what they have to say and we also can openly post on those Forums too.  So; feel free to start a new thread or write a post on any Forum you wish.

I noticed that there are some writings (threads) here, on this new Forum, that are much older as you can see by their dates.  Despite  their age and the fact that they are no longer active, I think these threads have been included here by Administration because there is a lot of information within them that is still helpful and valid today.

Also, the Alzheimer's Assn. has a Helpline that can be reached at (800) 272-3900.  If you call with a problem issue, ask to speak to a Care Consultant.  Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and all the varied dynamics that entails.  They can be very helpful with support, information and even referrals to helpful entities.  There is no fee for this service.  By the way, the Helpline is open for calls 24/7, year round.

Please post as often as you wish, wherever you wish, on whatever topic you wish, or just to chat or vent; you are now part of this terrific family of helping hearts and hands - we're all just a keyboard away.

With my very best wishes and looking forward to getting to know everyone better,

Johanna

× Close Menu