Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Alzheimer's And Going On Vacation
Renner64
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 3:04 PM

Hi

I went home to Germany a month ago, and got there and it didn't mean as much to me as it once did. After I got home, I thought to myself, "Man! I could have saved all that money!"

Everything seemed to have changed for me: my family, my friends were not as friend-ly. Even I was not "Mr. Happy Go Lucky" anymore.

I have Early Onset since 2010. Is this usual?

Thanks

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 4:22 PM

Welcome to our online support group, Renner.  You've been going strong since 2010.  Great for you!  You must tell us how you are taking care of yourself. 

Some of us in our group still travel.  We enjoy it very much and want to continue travelling as long as possible. 

Our perceptions may change, but that's to be expected.  You may not be "Mr. Happy Go Lucky" any more, but you can discover a new persona of yourself that can be just as fulfilling.  No one stays the same over time.   

Learning more about our new self can become an engagine undertaking.  We can discover what is really important to us and devote our attention to it. 

Please continue to post and tell us more about yourself. Also, be sure to visit the Younger Onset board, which has more visitors.  You can post there regardless of your age.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 6:17 PM

Welcome Renner,

Could things in Germany also be different?

How long since you'd last been there.

Sometimes the folks we once hung around with have either changed or are gone and this affects us.

Unfortunately, if you shared your diagnosis with them, this can have a sobering effect on some folks. They don't expect you to be the same fun-loving guy. 

They are waiting for you to make mistakes and act queerly. They have no idea that we in Early Stager want to be treated the same as usual, but with exceptions made for those things we can no longer do as well.  They have no idea that we are more the same than we are different.

Please do get involved with your local Aliz. Assoc. Our help lie can get you the local #: 1-800-272-3900.

Do read everything about the disease you can get your hands on.

Go to alz.org and read bit by bit.

Great read: Living Your Best With Early Stage Alzheimer's.

First book I read. It gave me such hope. it's an oldie: Tom DiBasio, Losing My Mind.

Hard to believe it's fiction; Lisa Genova, I'm Still Alice. Soon to come out as a movie. If this one hits too close to home, as it has to some, put it down immediately.

VicsP
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:49 PM

I agree that if you told them about your condition, that may be why you experienced a change in peoples behaviour around you.. having said that..  it is my experience that you can 'never go back'..and I learned that lesson waay back when I was about 23.   After a break of a couple years, people do change, or see you differently because they perceive you as changed.. good advice to listen to the others and keep reading.

Kathy

× Close Menu