Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Essential oils?
missmyparents
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 10:04 PM

Has anyone used essential oils to help their LO with symptoms? I'm not one who believes they are a cure-all or substitute for traditional medicine, but I've seen positive results for myself with sleep problems and stomach upset. I also have friends who've had good results as well. I'm seriously considering trying some with my parents and am curious to hear from others what may or may not have worked. I'm open to anything that will offer them a better quality of life.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:23 PM

Aromatherapy helped my mother a great deal. She recognized her home again, slept through most nights, stopped having delusions, could recognize more objects, became much more talkative (although only slightly more lucid), had a better sense of time, was more alert and aware, smiled again, and had a better quality of life.

The stimulating oils (rosemary, bay laurel, clove, nutmeg, holy basil, for instance) can improve cognition but in some people with dementia they can increase agitation. The relaxing oils (such as sweet orange, rose, lavender, patchouli, and bergamot) have a calming effect and can improve sleep. Lemon balm can improve both cognition and behavior.

Direct inhalation for a few seconds in the morning with a couple of stimulating oils and a few seconds in the evening with a couple of relaxing essential oils likely works best (although the study below used a diffuser).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20377818

eaglemom
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:41 AM

Lane gives such good advise. I will say that I was somewhat skeptical - at first. However, I too noted better sleeping, less agitation, some pain relief, and more aware. How I started was simply trying several different oils. I knew which ones he responded to and have used those. Now I've introduced several other oils but of the success rate I had with the beginning oils.

I will say make certain to purchase pure oil as they will work better.

eagle

Mrs. Braxton
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:43 PM

I agree with Lane, all those oils are wonderful.
last week my DH had some kind of experience that was awful. The aide called me home from my respite. so glad she did that and did not call 911. that scares ALZS even more.

I calmed him down with a zanex and while that takes awhile, I rubbed lavender , and quiescent on his neck, forehead and wrists all while talking softly to him.

I used a lot of other oils when he was in stage 4 and 5, by the time its 6th stage rosemary and others did not seem to help.
Angela

adp71
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:00 PM

I haven't gotten to log on in a while, and this is EXACTLY what I logged in to ask about!!! My co-worker started using essential oils in November and that is how I got introduced to them.

My Mother has multiple health issues along with having dementia, so I was hoping to get her some more natural relief from pain, help her be less agitated, etc. The pain cream from the oils really helped my mother's back.

We use a diffuser and when I got my starter kit of oils, I diluted her some with carrier oils bc she doesn't understand less is more and would use too much and put a roller ball so that she could have "her own" bottle of lavender to roll on.

I only have one diffuser, but fixing to order a few more oils and another diffuser so I can have one in her room. I would love to hear more about what oils have worked for everyone.

Thanks.

missmyparents
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:00 PM

Thank you all! I brought my oils with me today and I rubbed a little lavender and balance (a blend specific to doTerra, the company I use) on the back of Daddy's neck. I've ordered some roller balls and don't have a diffuser...yet.

I'd definitely like to hear the specifics on which oils you've used for which symptom, along with how you use them. We're dealing with increased tremors...which may be related to the rehab messing up his meds....not sleeping through the night, not emptying his bladder during the day and overflowing at night, and almost childlike behavior at the end of the day.

I know there are different companies selling oils so it would probably be helpful to list ingredients on any blends we use. Balance has Spruce Leaf Extract, Ho Wood Oil, Frankincense oil, Blue Tansy oil, Blue Chamomile oil, in fractionated coconut oil. I've used it for sleep myself.

socwkr
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:10 PM

I am a huge fan of lavender. I purchase the essential oil at Whole Foods, use a little spritz bottle with water, and put about 30 drops of oil in water. I just shake and spray. I use it all day around my husband and even spray it on his pillow before he goes to bed. At the nursing home, the aide who takes care of him loves to spray the lavender on my husband. I definitely believe that it cuts the agitation down a bit.

VicsP
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:29 PM

can't hurt can it? I have a couple of diffusers that I try to remember to use.. Do use the purest of them: www.youngliving.com
if it does't make them feel better, it will help you for trying..
I have sprinkled lavender on the pillow case.. I've diffused sandalwood.. there is a plethora of info on the internet thru youngliving.
k

Brigv
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2021 6:24 PM

Lane Simonian wrote:
Aromatherapy helped my mother a great deal. She recognized her home again, slept through most nights, stopped having delusions, could recognize more objects, became much more talkative (although only slightly more lucid), had a better sense of time, was more alert and aware, smiled again, and had a better quality of life.

The stimulating oils (rosemary, bay laurel, clove, nutmeg, holy basil, for instance) can improve cognition but in some people with dementia they can increase agitation. The relaxing oils (such as sweet orange, rose, lavender, patchouli, and bergamot) have a calming effect and can improve sleep. Lemon balm can improve both cognition and behavior.

Direct inhalation for a few seconds in the morning with a couple of stimulating oils and a few seconds in the evening with a couple of relaxing essential oils likely works best (although the study below used a diffuser).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20377818
 Thanks for sharing such useful info. This is exactly what I was looking for. I want to try giving essential oils to my mom in the hope they will help her. 

wiiliscreg
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2021 6:29 PM

First oil i would try would be Lavender oil  https://volantaroma.se/ probably . It helps me a lot with the stress relief and anxiety. You can also check out citrus boost set with few great citrus aromas. Those are the best for  me when i like to have a long bath
BethMimi
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2022 7:22 PM

How do you use these?  Do you apply to the skin or air treatment?   Any essential oil scent that might help with my mother's combativeness and make her stop hitting and screaming at me when it's time to change her clothes?   I've just a real bad day with her.
Tfreedz
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2022 7:45 PM

Bethmimi sorry you had such a rough day with your mom. Have you contacted her doctor about possible meds to calm her? Also many have suggested letting clothing changes go for awhile. My mom jokes that her clothes are her uniform when I try to suggest she change into something else. I’ve heard others sleep in their clothes...just saying maybe you could let it go a few days unless completely soiled. I use an all natural lavender vanilla oil I got on amazon in an oil diffuser that seems to put my mom in a better mood.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2022 8:43 PM

Thank you to all those who are contributing to this thread.

The use of essential oils via massage can be helpful, but certain essential oils require a carrier oil (such as almond oil) otherwise they can burn the skin.

Popular essential oils that can be used with or without dilution (neat application):

• chamomile
  • cypress
  • eucalyptus
  • lavender
  • tea tree (unoxidized)
  • rose
  • sandalwood
  • Popular essential oils that must be diluted:
    • bay
    • cinnamon bark or leaf
    • clove bud
    • citronella
    • cumin
    • lemongrass
    • lemon verbena
    • oregano  
    • thyme
    • https://www.healthline.com/health/are-essential-oils-safe#topical-use  Diffusion or direct inhalation are two other ways to deliver essential oils.  For the more relaxing oils, either air borne approach may work.  Lavender, rose, sweet orange, patchouli, lemon balm, and chamomile are essential oils that can potentially reduce agitation.

​fesk
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 5:48 AM

I have also just started using essential oil in a diffuser. A question - it seems lemon balm (Melissa) is different than just lemon essential oil. Is this correct? It appears to be more expensive than others, so I want to check before I purchase it.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 10:08 AM

Right on both points: lemon balm essential oil is different from lemon essential oil and it is more expensive than most of the other essential oils.  Lemon balm essential oil may help more with anxiety and lemon may help more with cognition.
​fesk
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 12:13 PM

Thanks Lane. I'm trying Rosemary/Lemon based on a study. From your response, it makes sense for this purpose they used regular lemon essential oil. I may purchase lemon balm too as we're dealing with agitation/anxiety as well. Right now using Lavender/Orange for that based on the same study.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 3:17 PM

These are good combinations.  Best of wishes.
ChHodge
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2022 4:18 AM

​fesk wrote:
Thanks Lane. I'm trying Rosemary/Lemon based on a study. From your response, it makes sense for this purpose they used regular lemon essential oil. I may purchase lemon balm too as we're dealing with agitation/anxiety as well. Right now using Lavender/Orange for that based on the same study.
These are good combinations. I'll try them out too.

× Close Menu