Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends(16)
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, March 7, 2015 10:27 PM

I can remember back when the first birth was "onLine". My, I have learned a lot about cows, mules, goats, barn cats, et al but please aren't cows and heifers the same?
Lorita
Posted: Saturday, March 7, 2015 11:38 PM

Hi jfkoc,

My goodness, that was many calves ago. You all have really been through a lot with me and our girls. Jfkoc, a heifer has never had a calf- when shehas her first calf she is then called a cow. We still have two heifers who haven't calved-probably next month.

How's Luke feeling and when will he have his test?

Guess I,d better go to sleep-the vet will probably be here early in the morning. Sure hope Sally has let her milk down by then.

Sleep well, everyone.

telinde
Posted: Saturday, March 7, 2015 11:49 PM

Good evening: Glad to say I am feeling like I am rid of that awful bug today. I felt energetic all day and even went to church and to a movie with our good friends. Finally. I am not good at being sick. I guess no one really is.

Leanne and Dana, I was ready to tell the blonde girl on Amazing Race to just shut up last night. I kept thinking her blind date partner was probably thinking he will run like heck once the show is over. lol I loved the dance competition too, and riding the zip line is on my bucket list. Looks so fun. Glad to hear your huge burning project is finished. Now you won't have to come in smelling like you've been at camp.

Beautiful day here today too. In the 50's. I spent most of it in the house trying to get the place back in order. Actually cleaned today because I had to cancel the housekeeper for Wed. when I wasn't feeling well. Nice to have it all done for a couple of weeks, then the housekeeper can go at it again.

Lorita, the picture of Ray is priceless. Looks like he is ready to say something to you. Very sentimental for you, I'm sure. Congrats on the new little one. Any name yet? I bet she is pretty.

Roxy, sounds like you had a nice day with the Great Danes. I bet they're pretty. Maybe you can give all of us wanting to lose weight some good tips??? Guess the bottom line is to just not eat so much. I've been doing pretty well lately, but have another 5 or so lbs. I would love to lose.

Linda Dee, I hope your daughter gets the stent out easily. That does sound painful. Sure glad she's feeling better. I hear kidney stones are very very painful. Harv locked me out of the house a couple of times when he was in the stage of thinking all doors had to be locked at all times. Thank God we have a key pad for the garage so I could always get back in.

Sandy, it seems we have all been losing posts. Last night I cut my post short because the screen kept jumping down the page and then I had to scroll back up to get to my post. Maddening, isn't it?

Not much news here. I am headed to GJ tomorrow to see how Harv is doing. I sure hope most of the residents are over the crud. I don't want to pick up anything else.

Sleep well everyone and have a nice Sunday. Joan

Sandymac
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 1:21 AM

Hi everyone. Sunday evening here.......had a great day šŸ˜‚. Slashed the paddock where Aria is.....how did I ever expect her to eat all that grass??? Then mowed the front lawn

Pulled out all the African Daisies near the driveway because they kept growing over it.

Tried to separate the PVC outdoor furniture so I could make new seats for it. Didn't work but I'll work on something else.... And all this time Ron was either asleep or reading his cowboy book.

Went to my sons so he could route out a piece of timber for a special painting that I have done for a friend.....has taken me about 4 weeks, plus the three plates that I did before which for some reason cracked in the kiln. And would you believe it...I dropped the xxxxxxxx thing as I walked out the door. He retrieved the pieces from the bin where I threw them, and says he can repair it, we'll see!!!!

Hope you all have a better day

cmak
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 8:46 AM

good morning all -

it was beautifully sunny here yesterday, I think close to 60 degrees but back to cold when the sun went down. I had put a bucket of red maple saplings that I have soaking in water outside to enjoy the sun but I forgot to bring them in overnight- sure hope they are okay! I will check on them after I get dressed and go out for my newspaper in the box.

yesterday I had lunch with my daughter / SIL and then I took her grocery shopping and we all watched "Big Hero 6" - cute Disney movie.

Jo- I hope you are feeling better? we don't really have any cardiac history in our family but I imagine that must be very scary.

Roxy- I'm sorry you had such a difficulty time with SS- how crazy is that?!?!? I feel so badly for you, I had absolutely no trouble at all with my phone call from them, we did it a week after the funeral, it went like clockwork. I'm wondering if the calls are generated from one location for the whole country? or geographical centers? I hope your next try goes much smoother. Great Danes are wonderful, aren't they? my office manager brought hers to the office one time because she had injured a front leg and wanted me to xray it - that was fun. They are such gentle giants, thank goodness !

Joan- glad you are feeling so much better, being sick is "the pits" as my mother used to say! I'm with you on the Amazing Race, the blond nurse was SO annoying with all her " I told you so". I did think the men in makeup and pantyhose were hysterical !

Leanne- I'm sure you are glad that big job of burning is finished - can you come over and do my pile, now? haha. Mine is in the middle of the back yard, not sure I want to set it alight, I will have to chop and haul. How wonderful that you found a video of Abby - tears, of course, but happy memories also? It will be hard for Zane, I imagine, I hope someday there will be a smile with all the tears. How is he doing? I'm trying to imagine how one sews a tent- you must have a huge work area? I have enough troubles with any quilt over crib size !

Sandy "down under"- sounds like you were busy with all that yardwork ! I guess we all have that to look forward to when spring finally arrives. I bet Aria was glad to have you "help" her finish all that grass !! I bet you were mad when you dropped that plate- it's so frustrating to work so hard on something and have it ruined at the end ! I hope your son can fix it.

Sandy "Sasue"- I have not yet had the pleasure of a long post disappearing her, but I have lost other stuff I've typed for work- sooooo frustrating !! Makes me think of the cartoon showing a duck lifting a huge sledgehammer over his keyboard and the caption " Strike any key to continue" - don't I just wish I could ! Maybe we should start doing like Biddie does and write a new message box to each person ! lol -

Twink- how is your BIL? reconstructive surgery always is so time-consuming. Are you still freezing? I can't even imagine weather that cold- here in N. Georgia when it gets down into the teens that is a big deal.

Lorita- a new baby !! how exciting !! how many are you expecting this spring? it sounds like you will have quite a lot on your hands.

what about your outside kitty? did he make it? poor thing.

I'm glad to hear that Cheryl received your order okay and is working on your pendant. You will be so happy to get that in the mail. At first, I never took mine off but I think the pool chlorine has affected it, so now I take it off for water exercise class. I had to buy a nice chain to put mine on, I don't wear jewelry and didn't have anything that would do. I wanted to be sure to have something sturdy enough not to break and lose mine. Of course, I can always have another made as a spare- thinking I should do that soon.

LindaDee- did you feel like you were providing the entertainment for the whole place ?

I've never heard of someone removing their own stent- wow. How is your daughter now?

it was pretty here, yesterday, too. Did you enjoy your sunshine?

Shirley- how wonderful that you have Bill's voice to listen to, I wish I had some of Dan. I shot some cel phone videos of some of his rants in the last 6 months of his life but then I foolishly erased them. I never thought about keeping anything to just listen to his voice.

I know exactly what you mean about stress weight gain- some people lose their appetite and lose weight, some of us stress eat and gain. AND it's so hard to lose, too. I always thank my mother for her gene pool ( sarcasm font) whereas my father was 6' / 130 pounds! Wish I had taken after him !

Dana- I watch the Amazing Race, too ! I'd love to have been on that zip line but there are a lot of things I've seen over the years that I would NOT be able to do. I remember one time, they had to eat a 2 pound bowl of caviar in Russia. They'd have to just send me home on that one, I would have refused to do it. yuck !!! It always annoys me when they show all the arguing and fighting between the couples, but I'm sure a lot of that is creative editing.

it's time for me to go upstairs and get on my treadmill for a bit. I'm going to miss my water exercise classes tomorrow and Wednesday because I'll have Emma with me while her mother works early ( 5 am !! ). I know I've missed some of you - so sorry ! I find myself opening a second screen to scroll back and read and then I post on the first screen, otherwise I would not remember what everybody has said !

I hope everyone has a good Sunday-

hugs

colleen

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:28 AM

Morning,

Well, bold isn't working for me this morning, sorry.

Colleen, the babies this year will be spread out over a few months instead of confined to two - hopefully, we'll have 18 or 19 but usually end up with around a dozen - some of our cows are older and past the calf-bearing stage - but I won't sell them - I know what would happen to them. So, they'll live out their lives here on Green Acres with me.

The vet came this morning. I'd watched and watched for him and sure enough he got here and I didn't know it. He already had Sally almost in the chute before I got out there. He checked and all four quarters are good but baby hadn't nursed or broken them loose yet. I tried one yesterday and I guess my hand wasn't strong enough. Baby nursed one out completely and picked it back up by herself so it will be small enough for her. I'll watch and if it looks she hasn't nursed, I'll either give Sally some feed and get the baby back on or give a bottle. Mom's milk is best.

The kitty didn't make it. I knew he wouldn't. He was always wanting to come into the house and got in many, many times to eat some. I don't know what in the world was wrong with him but every time I went in the bathroom and said something to him, he'd cry. I buried him in the barn with all the others.

I'm glad everyone seems to be doing all right this morning. It's cloudy here but kind of warm. I think I've figured out how to fix the flagpole. I found a piece of pipe that's big enough to fit over the part that's still there so I'll try that. Part of the flagpole will be different but I can paint in silver and it'll be okay. I'll probably have to get up in the PU bed to do it though - that's what I've done in the past. I have another flag to put up so that's okay.

Barclee had chicken nuggets for breakfast and the cats had some after their regular breakfast. It was part of a package I had left. Charles Ray loved them. I think I have some chicken tenders in the freezer, too. I'm going to have to get the freezer straightened out so I can give my cousin and her husband the meat products.

Twink - yesterday I was watching NatGeoWild and the story was about dogs. They had a segment about Springer Spaniels (I think that's what Norton was and what your new puppy will be). The people who had this one had sheep, too, and some of the lambs were orphans. The dog would actually hold the bottle for the lamb to nurse. They said he just started doing that. It was amazing - holding it at the right angle and everything. So, they must be really smart and good with other animals.

There were several geese on the pond yesterday evening - really pretty. I don't know if they've just stayed around all winter or if they're from the flock south of here. I guess it's getting close to the time for them to go back north though.

Sandy, sorry you dropped the plate - I'm sure that was so frustrating for you to work so long on something and then have it break. It still seems odd to me that we're all getting ready to go into spring and you all are getting ready to shut down for the winter. I'm still considering mowing our yard this year. The yard doesn't have that much grass in during the summer but the area north and west of the house does. Not sure if I want to tackle all of that in the hot summer or not.

Colleen- I'm looking forward to getting the pendant. I think the chain I have may be too delicate for it -I'll have to see how heavy it is. I want to be sure to have one with a lobster-claw clasp on it so I won't lose it.

It's supposed to be a little rainy tomorrow but I need to get into town for more colostrum and to return the dog food. Maybe I should keep one sack - seems like the girls aren't eating the TOTW too well - might need to ease them into it. I may wait until Tuesday to go to the VARO - just really dread delving into all of that but it has to be done. Simone and Tico are still sneezing a little bit so I need to pick up a bottle of
Amoxi-drops for them. They seem to feel okay - might be an allergy.

No name for the new baby yet. I'll keep them up for a couple of days so she can get into the barn if it rains.

Better go and fill the birdfeeders. I have the front door open and one of the cats was watching the birds around the one in the front yard.

I'm going to have to start watching The Amazing Race - hope they're not too far into it for me to catch up. I'm curious about this blond you all keep talking about.

\

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:28 AM

Morning,

Well, bold isn't working for me this morning, sorry.

Colleen, the babies this year will be spread out over a few months instead of confined to two - hopefully, we'll have 18 or 19 but usually end up with around a dozen - some of our cows are older and past the calf-bearing stage - but I won't sell them - I know what would happen to them. So, they'll live out their lives here on Green Acres with me.

The vet came this morning. I'd watched and watched for him and sure enough he got here and I didn't know it. He already had Sally almost in the chute before I got out there. He checked and all four quarters are good but baby hadn't nursed or broken them loose yet. I tried one yesterday and I guess my hand wasn't strong enough. Baby nursed one out completely and picked it back up by herself so it will be small enough for her. I'll watch and if it looks she hasn't nursed, I'll either give Sally some feed and get the baby back on or give a bottle. Mom's milk is best.

The kitty didn't make it. I knew he wouldn't. He was always wanting to come into the house and got in many, many times to eat some. I don't know what in the world was wrong with him but every time I went in the bathroom and said something to him, he'd cry. I buried him in the barn with all the others.

I'm glad everyone seems to be doing all right this morning. It's cloudy here but kind of warm. I think I've figured out how to fix the flagpole. I found a piece of pipe that's big enough to fit over the part that's still there so I'll try that. Part of the flagpole will be different but I can paint in silver and it'll be okay. I'll probably have to get up in the PU bed to do it though - that's what I've done in the past. I have another flag to put up so that's okay.

Barclee had chicken nuggets for breakfast and the cats had some after their regular breakfast. It was part of a package I had left. Charles Ray loved them. I think I have some chicken tenders in the freezer, too. I'm going to have to get the freezer straightened out so I can give my cousin and her husband the meat products.

Twink - yesterday I was watching NatGeoWild and the story was about dogs. They had a segment about Springer Spaniels (I think that's what Norton was and what your new puppy will be). The people who had this one had sheep, too, and some of the lambs were orphans. The dog would actually hold the bottle for the lamb to nurse. They said he just started doing that. It was amazing - holding it at the right angle and everything. So, they must be really smart and good with other animals.

There were several geese on the pond yesterday evening - really pretty. I don't know if they've just stayed around all winter or if they're from the flock south of here. I guess it's getting close to the time for them to go back north though.

Sandy, sorry you dropped the plate - I'm sure that was so frustrating for you to work so long on something and then have it break. It still seems odd to me that we're all getting ready to go into spring and you all are getting ready to shut down for the winter. I'm still considering mowing our yard this year. The yard doesn't have that much grass in during the summer but the area north and west of the house does. Not sure if I want to tackle all of that in the hot summer or not.

Colleen- I'm looking forward to getting the pendant. I think the chain I have may be too delicate for it -I'll have to see how heavy it is. I want to be sure to have one with a lobster-claw clasp on it so I won't lose it.

It's supposed to be a little rainy tomorrow but I need to get into town for more colostrum and to return the dog food. Maybe I should keep one sack - seems like the girls aren't eating the TOTW too well - might need to ease them into it. I may wait until Tuesday to go to the VARO - just really dread delving into all of that but it has to be done. Simone and Tico are still sneezing a little bit so I need to pick up a bottle of
Amoxi-drops for them. They seem to feel okay - might be an allergy.

No name for the new baby yet. I'll keep them up for a couple of days so she can get into the barn if it rains.

Better go and fill the birdfeeders. I have the front door open and one of the cats was watching the birds around the one in the front yard.

I'm going to have to start watching The Amazing Race - hope they're not too far into it for me to catch up. I'm curious about this blond you all keep talking about.

\

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:14 PM

"We" have @ 12 calves every year? Does not seem like that many.

Next question. Each teat has it's own section in the udder?

Thanks for asking about Luke. He is so back to normal that I had forgotten about his "mass". I will call the vet this next week.

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:34 PM

Hi jfkoc -

Yes, usually about a dozen. At one time Ray and I had more than a hundred head and we'd have lots of little ones running around 20-30. The cows having the calves didn't seem to bother me quite as much then but Ray and I pulled most of them ourselves, if necessary. I don't attempt that by myself now - always afraid I'll get one "stuck" and can't complete the birth. If they're well-started or I can see the hooves all right, I can do that.

The udder or "bag" as most people call it is kind of roundish-squarish divided into four quarters, each with a teat and it's own milk supply. We have several cows that have six teats, four full sized and two smaller ones that stick out at the back - and they also have milk.

I'm so glad Luke is doing better and hope everything will be all right with him. I think I may call the woman at the Animal Shelter to see if they have a little dog for inside. Barclee's sweet as can be but he's so quiet that I almost forget he's here. A little, noisy one might liven things up here in the house. Maybe I'll stop by on the way home from town.

I bet Dick's glad Luke's home so they can be pals. Is Dick still able to get up and down the stairs all right?

Our snow is almost gone - just a little bit left on the north side of the barn but today should take care of that.

jfkoc - does your generator come on once a week to check it and keep the battery charged? Steve told me ours would and yesterday at 4 p.m. I heard this loud noise - I thought a truck or tractor had driven up. It actually sounded like they had brought the liquid feed and were pumping it into the feeders. I went out and looked and couldn't see anything - finally traced the noise to the generator. The sound diminished in two or three minutes but it ran for about ten minutes altogether. Just wondering.

Have a good afternoon and tell Dick and Luke hi for me.

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 3:15 PM

Oh gosh Lorita, the photo of Charles Ray is awesome. He looks just ready to start speaking. He was also a handsome man. This photo really brings to heart how much he must be missed. I sure can understand your loving that likeness.

So, you are a Gran again. Like to see the rocking chair you'd rock that one in! It sounds as though everything went okay, but I am sorry for kitty. Poor wee thing.

Darn daylight savings time has me turned around. I fell asleep in a wink last night, but woke up around 3:00 am and could not get back to sleep. So now I'm just a half-baked lollygagger.

Lorita, did you watch Downton Abbey? If so, disregard the rest of this. If not, it will rerun on PBS from the beginning from time to time. If you see it come up at season one, you might want to start watching. Really, really good story and just wonderful sets and costumes as only the Brits can do. I especially like Lady Violet, played by that wonder, Maggie Smith; she was worth the entire series, what a talent she is.

I watch Doc Martin too; love the program. We are wondering if they will ever have a new season of that; sure hope so, but haven't seen a word about it anywhere. We are re-watching it, (have to start that from the beginning if one hasn't seen it before, or one won't get the worth of what is going on); anyway, we like it as much the second time as we did the first. So hope they make more.

Did you watch the, "Last Tango in Halifax?" That was also British and pretty darned good. Just had it's first season and on into the second. Don't know if they will come back.

Well, have to get moseying along once again, I've been online for the longest time screening and doing other Forums too, so I need to go throw some stuff in the wash and make an entrance.

Good afternoon to all,

J.

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 9:07 PM

Hi everyone,

Johanna - I've never watched Downtown Abbey or Last Tango in Halifax but I do love Doc Martin. Last week and this we haven't been able to see the series - they've having their semi-annual fund raiser for PBS. They've been showing how the series is made - pretty interesting.

I think I need to start watching The Amazing Race though. Everyone seems to think it's pretty good.

Thanks for the kind words about Ray's picture. That picture is one I'm really glad I took - makes me feel kind of like he's here - I've seen him look like that so many times.

I talked to my friend in KC for a while this evening. Her husband, son and grandson are in Muskogee until midweek. They've emptied their home and it's up for sale. They'd lived in that house for almost 50 years. I know it must have been hard for them to do especially without Karen being there to tell them what she wanted done. She seemed in pretty good spirits - said she'd been able to sit up in her wheelchair for three hours today. What a hard time since Christmas Day she, Carol and I have had. She talked tonight about how a person's life can change in an instant - and that's so true.

Not very much going on here today. I did go out and sit on my tree limb for a while this afternoon. It was cloudy and damp feeling. I think there was some rain south of us.

I can't believe it's already 9 p.m. I've been yawning all afternoon. Really don't like this time change but will have to deal with it anyway. I checked the rose bushes this afternoon and most of them have little leaves. I'm afraid I did lose at least one Tropicana - and they're hard to find anymore. I think I have the flagpole repair figured out. Maybe I can work on that tomorrow or sometime this coming week and get the flag back up.

I just kind of feel at loose ends and not wanting to do much of anything. Maybe when Springtime gets here it'll be better. I've snacked all day and not really had anything substantial to eat - maybe some soup or apple after while.

Rest well tonight. I may check in later. Still thinking about another dog that can be inside or outside before the Great Pyrenees. Maybe a frisky little dog will liven things up around here.

telinde
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 9:21 PM

Hi everyone. Harv was doing great today. He was sitting up straighter and his cough is almost gone. Tomorrow, they will measure him for a new wheel chair instead of the flimsy commuter chair he is in now. They are also having him evaluated for PT to strengthen his legs and get him moving around more. One bad thing about the MC is that they seem to leave him in the wheel chair instead of encouraging him to walk. I know they are busy and it's easier to let him sit. I hope the PT puts in orders for them to walk him a few times a day. It must get so tiring for him to sit all day. I think it would be hard on his back and legs. Maybe not. Anyway, looked like most of the residents were feeling better. I remembered this time to wash my hands when I left!!!!!

The weather here is really like Spring. GJ was 65, and when I got home at 4:00, it was 60 here. Can't wait to get outside and walk this week.

Lorita, I'm sorry the kitty died. Glad he was in the house where he was warm and comfortable. That's good news Sally has milk and you won't have to feed the baby. When you get your pendant, if you don't mind, send us a picture so we can see how it turned out.

Sandy, how sad to drop your beautiful plate and break it. All that work at a loss. Can you recreate another one just like it? I would love to see the frame you had routed for your picture. That sound interesting. Mowing lawn. Wow, we haven't even thought of that for a few months here. Guess it's going to begin soon.

Ladies, I've been making a video of Harv every time I go see him. After I read all the posts talking about wishing they had recorded their loved one's voices, I thought it would be a nice memory for me some day. Thanks for the nice tip. I even watch them now because I enjoy listening to Harv laugh.

Colleen, you are going to be a busy lady this week with Emma. I hope you have fun with her. Kind of like a foster grandchild.

Lorita, it wouldn't take much to catch up on the Amazing Race. I think there have been three or four episodes shown so far. It's just a group of couples racing around the world. They started out with couples who are married or dating, and other couples put together as blind dates. The blonde is one of the blind dates (I think she got paired with a doctor, not sure though). Anyway, she was ok until they made a major mistake and she let the poor guy have it. She nagged him the entire show telling him he should listen to her and do it her way. She just couldn't keep her mouth shut. Join in, it's good for a laugh, and a good way to see other parts of the world.

Jo, happy to hear your Afib might not be as bad as first thought. You are smart to start your prevention program. We all should be doing that just to be healthy. I hope all continues to go smoothly for you.

Leanne, I hope all is well with you today. Hope you're out having fun somewhere.

Have a good night everyone. Sleep well. Joan

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 10:09 PM

Hi Joan,

I'm glad you go to go visit Harv and that he's doing well. also good that everyone else there is feeling better. I'll be so glad when this flu thing is over. When I go into a store I wipe down the shopping cart with disinfectant wipes and when I get back to the PU or car I wipe the steering wheel if I've touched it and use hand sanitizer. May be overkill but I surely don't want the flu. My BIL says they do the same thing. Ray hated hand sanitizer and I'd have to watch him to be sure he didn't put it in his mouth.

Isn't the Amazing Race on Monday night? Anyway, I'll watch next time it's on. Need something to look forward to watching besides QVC.

It's good that you're making the recordings of Harv. They'll mean so very much to you in the future. I have some I made of Ray years ago but can't watch them yet. Looking at pictures is hard enough.

The weather was pretty nice here today - cloudy but fairly warm but it felt damp. I think we're due for some rain tomorrow afternoon. If they don't bring the liquid feed in the morning I'll go into town and get a couple of mineral tubs and return a couple of things to WM. I'm planning on going to the VA Regional Office to see the ODVA Svc. Officer Tuesday and get that over with.

Thanks, Joan, I'm sorry about the kitty, too. He or she was grown but liked to come in the house. She laid in front of the electric stove in the bathroom all afternoon so she was comfortable. I can't imagine what happened.

I'll be sure to take a picture of my pendant when I get it and I'll post a picture. I hope she can use the fingerprints I sent. She sent me an e-mail saying she hadn't had time to be sure yet so I'm anxious to hear.

I'm glad Sally has milk, too. I'm really glad the vet gave the baby some antibiotics this morning so that should take care of her cold. He'll be back Tuesday to put out hay for the cows so if she's not better, maybe he can give her some more medicine. I have them in the barn tonight. Maybe by tomorrow she'll feel better and latch on by herself.

It's already 10 p.m. and I'm not sleepy but I haven't recovered that hour of lost sleep - maybe in the morning.

Better go and find a bite to eat - not hungry but I think I need something.

Rest well, everyone.

Mulelady
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 10:29 PM

Good evening,
I hope everyone is doing good. I really couldn't say what I did today. I did clean up stairs for a while, going through x-mas decorations etc. Had stuff of mine, my MIL and her mothers. Threw away a lot and found some real treasures. Found a wooden x-mas ornament Don had made when he was a boy.
Sandra, You were just so busy mowing and pulling and helping out Aria so she doesn't get lost in the grassy jungle. So sorry you dropped the plates. I did think I heard someone cussing earlier.
Colleen, I'm glad you had a good time shopping and going to a movie. Good for you to get out. I do all of my big sewing projects in the shop. I have a 10'x15' table around my machine. It holds the fabric up at the height of the throat and I don't have to pull so hard. I do a lot of removable marking on tents because it is easy to get lost in them. Wouldn't want to sew the back to the front or put a door in sideways.
Joan, Glad you are feeling better and that Harv is also over the bug. It is hard when you know they should be walking, but I'm sure that PT will do it. The aids and nurses probably really don't have time. I know that is how it was with Don's mom. They would come and walk her twice a day. You will be glad that you have made videos. I wish I had done more of that.
Jfkoc, It is wonderful that Luke has recovered so well. I will keep my fingers crossed that the mass is not a problem.
Jo, The time change is hard on everyone, even my donkey's. When I went out to feed this morning, they were still laying down in their shed. They popped up and hurried over to eat. I know they think I was early.
Lorita, You should definitely join in with the Amazing Race, it can get really comical. They do like to show the couples bickering, but they probably do get on each others nerves. The blonde will probably have an "accident" if she keeps it up. For sure no romance will come out of their time together. It shows a lot of really beautiful countries and show local customs etc.
So good that baby is now eating. Funny how hard it can be to unplug those teats some times. She was so hungry, she will probably keep them all drained for a day or two and then they won't plug again.
When I was out early, I heard the geese going over. They were Canadian Geese, the Snow geese haven't arrived yet. They can really get noisy. There is a large shallow lake about 11/2 miles (as the crow flies) from here. It is a bird sanctuary and the geese use it migrating. The snow geese will be there for several weeks spring and fall, and some of the Canadian Geese nest there. Lots of other birds too. Swans and Pelicans and lots of ducks and smaller birds.
Sorry the kitty died. It would probably be fun for you to have a little dog that was really busy and friendly. Barkley probably wouldn't care. It would be company for you in the house. Although, with all the kittens in the house, it must be pretty busy already.
It was 55 degrees today and very little wind. I did wander around outside for a while. It is still too wet to do any yard work or try to harrow the hay fields. A lot of snow and ice left along the trees and on the north side of everything.
I better quit and go to bed. Try to get used to the time change. Hope everyone dreams sweet dreams. Leanne

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 10:49 PM

Hi again,

Leanne, I'd love to see all those birds - I don't believe I've ever seen a live swan but I do collect swans - I just love them. They have a pelican festival every year at a town about 70 miles north of us. We went one time but didn't see the pelicans - guess we went on the wrong day.

So far the baby has only worked on one teat but did a pretty good job on that one. This morning she drained one and the vet said that was enough for her. She's not very persistent, probably because she's not feeling too well I hope she'll feel better in the morning. I may give her part of a bottle just to be sure.

You mentioned harrowing the meadow. What's the reason to do that? I haven't let the cattle down in ours the past couple of weeks but probably sometime this week because it's going to be warmer. We still have some pretty tall grass on ours because we baled in mid-June and the cows grazed after that.

Making and repairing tents sounds like quite a job. I used to sew a lot but never attempted anything nearly as big as a tent or as heavy - just clothes and curtains and things like that. It was very relaxing though but I don't think it would be now.

Colleen - I received an e-mail from Cheryl today - just now found it. She sent drafts of three of Ray's fingerprints and how it would look. There will be enough room on the 7/8" crooked heart to put his initial on front if I want to. I think I would like that. She also said the copy I sent wasn't too clear and that instead of distinct lines it would be more like texture. Also that the black lines would be imbedded in the metal and the white lines would be somewhat raised. Does your pendant have distinct lines? I think I remember you saying you could feel the lines. She said I might take a picture of the prints that would be clearer. I just did and I can't tell too much difference. I don't know how to scan but I don't think that would be much better. Maybe tomorrow I'll work on the scanning thing and see if I can figure it out. Just wondering if you can really see the lines on the fingerprint.

Better go and get that bite to eat and get to bed.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015 12:45 AM

Oh Lorita; I love swans too. When you mentioned that, it brought back some wonderful memories.

My husband and I loved to go to wine country up in Napa Valley and spend a week or so at a time. We would take a picnic hamper and fill it with delicious everythings we would buy at a huge deli inside of a winery.

Then we would take that and a bottle of wine and drive down to the very end of the valley. There was a winery on beautiful grounds. They had two gazebos; and we'd reserve one. Had to walk down a hill, around a bend past beautiful trees, shrubs and flowers and then over a lacquered Japanese style bridge.

Then we'd come to our gazebo with table and chairs which was on a beautiful lake. As we sat and ate and sipped wine, beautiful amazing white and black swans would be swimming gracefully by. Serendipity. I had never seen a black swan before. Gorgeous. Those trips are all packed away inside my heart in a special place.

Leanne, tell us about the tents. Is this a business? Do you make tents or restrict that to repairs? How did you get into that line of work and how did you learn to do that? Do you do other things too? I sound like a three year old with the questions, but inquiring minds want to know!

Joan, I am so glad Harv is doing much better. Good that P.T. is going to get him in their care now that he is getting more chipper.

Grumble, grumble . . . it is 10:40 here, but my body says, "Heck no; it's only 9:40!" Time changes turn me around each and every time. Funny how we are creatures of habit and can "feel" the time. Ah well; should go brush my teeth and get ready for bed so I start getting used to the time difference.

We are having icky heat once again. Last week it rained like crazy and was SO cold I was back in a turtle neck and sweater with extra blankets on the bed. Today it is plain hot. We're supposed to be in the low 90's come next week. Crazy, crazy weather this year. It can't seem to find it's spot. We are not ready for the chill to completely disappear, so guess I shouldn't pack those sweaters away yet.

Okay; off to the toothbrush, nitey-nite and sweet dreams,

J.

cmak
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015 7:33 AM

good morning all-

my son washed my car yesterday, so naturally we are now expecting three days of rain after a beautiful, warm, sunny weekend.

yesterday I bought a repair kit and re-wired my grandmother's antique lamp all by myself - whoo hoo ! I love to fix things. Of course, I couldn't have done it without some youtube video instruction- I am so glad that stuff can be found online.

Lorita- I'm glad you heard from Cheryl. My pendant is definitely engraved- I can both see and feel the fingerprint and the reverse side has a little heart with Dan's initials inside. It looks like after the engraving is done, some black ink is wiped over the pendant and goes down into the engraved areas- leaving the untouched , higher areas still white/silver. The fingerprint is a bit degraded now, though, because I stupidly hate to take it off and wore it into the pool for a couple of weeks.

the Amazing Race used to be on sunday nights after 60 minutes but this season they moved it to Friday at 8 pm. It's only been 3 episodes so far, I think, so it's not too far gone to start watching. The blonde is a trauma nurse and she was blind-date paired with a Navy doctor. He was very patient with all her nagging last week.

also I love Downton Abbey, but then I love all things British. Have been to England twice and love it there. I don't watch Doc Martin, saw it once I think.

I think I would like to take care of cows, when I was little we used to go visit family that had farms and had a great time. Of course, it's a lot of hard work too.

I'm sorry about your outside kitty I'm sure it was a comfort to come inside where it's warm for his last time on earth.

I'm glad your friend was in good spirits and is making progress. She is so right about how a person's life can change in an instant- some people don't realize what a life changing event can mean until it happens to them.

Joan- I'm glad Harve is doing so well. I do think it would be good if PT can walk Harve as much as he is capable or willing. I had Dan in respite care for a week, I don't think they walked him at all. When I got him home, he basically never walked again so it didn't take long to lose the little leg strength he had left. Of course, his entire decline was very rapid anyway. I hope he gets his new wheelchair soon - that will be much more comfortable for him.

Jo- How are you doing ? don't you just love Dowager Countess Violet? and Isobel- they make such a wonderful pairing. I'm forever saying " What is a week -end?" haha- since I don't go work everyday, I honestly feel like that sometimes. I saw part of one episode of Last Tango but then never got back to it. I think it had already started the season when I saw some so I guess I just couldnt' get interested. Same with Doc Martin- but my mother loves that one. I bet we will be watching that together when I go visit her in May.

Your trips to Napa sound heavenly- I lived for years in the Bay Area and never made it up that far except to summer camp every year in Sebastapool. Of course, we were never wine drinkers. But the picnics and the scenery sound beautiful- and what treasured memories for you.

the time changes never bother me but sometimes I feel like we should abandon it and go back to how the farmers do it- up and down with the sun whatever the time of year.

Leanne- I have sometimes wished for an industrial-quality sewing machine- I'm sure I could make good use of one on several projects. I have a very expensive, quality sleeping bag that is about a foot too long for me and hard to get into the stuff sack- I'd love to find somebody to lop off the bottom for me and stitch the end closed. Are you sewing all these tents from start to finish? is this your employment or "spare time" activity? I'm like Jo, I'd love to hear all about it ! I love camping and all assorted gear- I've got a huge amount in my basement after 10 years of Dan & I having a boy scout troop. The cook stove came in handy when we had no power for 5 days from a record breaking snow many years ago. Are your sweeties used to the time change yet for their meals?

well, it is time for me to head to the pool and then back here to work in my office for the afternoon. Nobody else is home today until supper time, I rarely get the whole house to myself and I'm going to enjoy it !

hope everybody has a calm day, no drastic weather or temps.

hugs,

colleen

Lorita
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015 12:30 PM

Afternoon, everyone,

Johanna - your trip sounds wonderful. How much fun you all must have had. On one of our trips to Arkansas we went to a place that had a gazebo out over the water They had some kind of fish - can't remember what kind - but you could see them swimming around - such a beautiful place. Also had lots of different kinds of ducks on the water and such beautiful flowers. Those trips now mean so much and will to you, too. I'm glad you have those memories tucked away.

I'd love to have some swans on the ponds but with the coyotes that would never work. We do have geese and some years they raise their little ones there. There's always one of them on watch for anything that comes near.

I'm not adjusting to the time change either. I woke up this morning and there was a little bit of daylight - but it was 7:30 - which would have been 6:30. I hadn't set that clock forward yet so turned on the TV and was really surprised. Now, it's past noon and I feel like it should be midmorning. Guess it'll just take some time.

Colleen - your story about the lamp reminded me - years ago I found parts to an old lamp in Ray's tool chest - have no idea where they came from. I finally found all of them and rewired it and it's now the lamp on my desk. I have another one that I need to do. It really does give you a feeling of real accomplishment to do that.

I'm going to watch The Amazing Race - seems like all of you enjoy it and my sister's watching it, too. She told me a while ago that The Bachelor is to make his choice tonight. I haven't watched any of it but she tells me about it. I may watch to see who he chooses. Do any of you watch that? I think pretty soon Dancing with the Stars begins again. Ray and I watched it several seasons but not lately. I'm interested if there's one or two people on it that I'm familiar with, otherwise, not much interested.

I've looked at the fingerprints I have here and they're not much different so I may go with what Cheryl has. I think I will have the initials put on front - not sure if they'll be in the heart or not. Even if there's not much definition, I'll know it's Ray's fingerprint because of the little, round scar on his finger. I don't blame you one bit for not taking your pendant off - I know I won't be taking mine off. I want to find a chain that I'll be sure won't come loose so I won't lose it.

I've been reading about scanning and I'll check on that. I tried to take another picture of it and that's not much better. Maybe I'll try another copy - maybe I made hers too dark.

I'm with you on the time change - just think, many years ago they didn't go by clocks or watches. Daddy could tell the time of day within a few minutes by looking at the position of the sun. I think there's some states that don't do the time change,isn't there?

The feed store just called and the man apologized for not having the feed brought out - he's been sick with the flu and his daddy just forgot - got too busy. That's one busy place, only one in town. They have about five places where you can back up to the dock to the loaded and many times you have to wait a while to get in place. I'm glad they're going to bring it so now I won't have to go in after tubs. Couldn't today anyway because we're having drizzle and it looks like there's lots of rain coming up from Texas.

The baby still sounds congested but she was interested in eating this morning. I got her latched onto three different teats this morning and she nurse on all three. I have her and Sally in the barn so she won't get damp. I have the other side of the barn opened so the cows can go in if it begins to rain - and they will.

Better go and decide what to do - I'll be back later..

telinde
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015 2:03 PM

Hi everyone. Sounds like everyone else is having trouble getting up like I am (the time change). I kept hitting snooze this morning, then had to race to get ready for exercise. Oh well, give us a week, and we should all be better, I hope.

It's another beautiful day here today. Supposed to be near 60 again today. Feels so much like Spring. My favorite time of year.

Lorita, sounds like Sally's little one has learned how to eat now. I bet she's cute. Must look like a little scarecrow being all black, and with those big black eyes.

I'm going for a short walk, then off to the sewing store to get a few things to make my Hospice bears. I need to make three, so will try to find something to make them all look different.

Colleen, enjoy your day alone in the house. I bet you will breeze right through your work in a quiet environment. Bravo for you going to water exercise every week. Didn't you say you go three times a week? You seem really committed to your class. Impressive.

Leanne, I hope you get the tent completed today. It's probably good you have that big table so you don't have to pull that thing around and lift all that heavy material. That would be hard on your arms and shoulders, and probably your back too. Are most of them made of canvas?

Johanna, I hope you don't get too much heat so soon in the season. That's why I love Spring. The temperatures fluctuate from warmer to cooler, but never too hot all at once.

Your wine adventure sounds wonderful. That's something I would enjoy too. I can't handle much more than one glass, but I sure enjoy it. Have you heard of Seven Dollar wine? I had a glass at Olive Garden last week when my daughter and I stayed in GJ. The first sip is strange, but the after taste is wonderful. If you can find it, try a glass. It's right between dry and sweet. Not too much of either.

Well, if I don't get off here, I will never get the rest of my planned day going. Have a nice afternoon. I'll check back in later. Joan

HappyBee
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015 3:15 PM

Lorita, I have tried to get into the Amazing Race as my daughter is a great fan of the show. But I just can't.. However, I love Downton Abbey which she doesn't. For comedy relief I watch The Big Bank Theory, and MOM.. What is it they say, "Different strokes for different folks" or "whatever floats your boat'. lol HappyBee
btw I'm a big Spurs fan.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015 9:38 PM

when you let the cows in does the term then include the heifers?
Lorita
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015 10:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Joan - the baby is nursing but she wants me to help her. I've gotten her on all four quarters. When she wants to nurse, she looks at me so I'll help her get the teat in her mouth. That will end shortly but I'll keep on as long as she wants the help. She's still a little bit congested but I've kept her and her mom in the barn all day and tonight. If the vet comes in the morning, I'll have him listen to her breathing in case she needs more medicine.

Happy Bee - I've never seen MOM or the Big Bank Theory. I've tried the Amazing Race a couple of times and I'm going to try again. I just finished watching the last episode of The Bachelor. He didn't choose the one I liked.

jfkoc - I kind of use the terms ,cows and cattle, interchangeably. Cattle would include bulls, heifers, calves and cows. Cows really should only include cows but I say cows anyway - just easier than cattle. I hope they're all in tonight but if it's not raining much, they'll be outside eating hay. They're beginning to drift off and graze during the mornings and nights but return to the hay.

It was too muddy today to get the liquid feed so I called them and told them to wait until I called to bring it. I'll check in the morning. The weather just said we only got about .3" - I can't believe that - there's water everywhere. I didn't feed tonight either but I will in the morning.

Leanne - I just saw that it was in the 60s today in Montana - warmer than here. You'll have grass growing for the kids before long if that weather keeps up. Hope you got the tent finished today. I'm putting things off - not able to concentrate too long on one thing. If it's not raining tomorrow and it's not supposed to be, I'll see what I can do with the flagpole.

I think I'll wait until Wednesday to go to the VARO. I don't like the idea of going to town very much. After that I'll have to go to the County Seat to take care of some more things - another trip.

I've been kind of at loose ends today, not wanting to do anything, just kind of wondering around and watching TV inside and being outside some in the rain. I just remembered I didn't even go to the mailbox but I'm not expecting anything so guess that's all right.

Colleen, I'm sending Cheryl an enlarged fingerprint and one that I didn't darken on the printer hoping she'll be able to get some lines on it. She said she'd send some options of what the pendant will look like when it's finished so I can decide on one. Did she do that with you or maybe the fingerprint you sent was really clear.

The cats and Barclee are quiet tonight - sleeping but after I go to bed they seem to wake up for a while and make noises in the LR. It's already 10:30 so guess I'll stop and go to bed. I really dislike this time change and I'll be glad when I get adjusted to it.

Sleep well, everyone.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 8:50 AM

Morning,

Where was everyone last night and this morning, too.

It's misty and foggy here this morning but it's supposed to clear by late afternoon.

Baby is okay and nursing.

Roxy, you're in my thoughts today.

Twink
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:49 AM

Hey y'all. Gosh, it's been hectic around here! BIL is coming along fine from his surgery last Thurs. However, we did have a mess to deal with when a pipe in his baseboard heat broke on Fri., flooding his apartment! Poor BIL was stuck in his recliner while bldng maintenance and fire dept. got water under control and wet-vacced up. DH and other BIL had things pretty well under control by the time I got there after work. Spent most of my wknd at BIL's tending him and cleaning.

Did take time to go to VT to salt my aunt's eaves so her ice dams will melt sooner, and got mine cleaned off as well. Stopped by the feed store on the way, and got 1/2 a truckload of grain, so hope that'll hold us for a few weeks! We still have about 3 dozen deer expecting supper each night!

Am loving the time change as I actually have some daylight now when I get home from work! Last night I was able to let the hens out to get some fresh air while I cleaned their coop. We were all very excited about that! Was still 30* at 6PM, so it felt downright balmy to us! Sophie even wanted out, so DH got her leash and they walked all the way down our driveway and back.

This AM, SIL called to say FIL, who lives with her in RI, had some kind of event - dizzy, confused, swearing. She took him to ER. Apparently an MRI has ruled out a stroke, but we still have no idea yet what is going on. Hoping to hear something soon. Will end this as it's getting long and I don't want to loose it. Be back in a bit to finish my thoughts! Hugs, Twink

Adult only child
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 11:47 AM

Twink, wanted to tell you before I forget; saw a TV bio of the winter caretaker at Yellowstone, he's been there 42 years! He has a crew which starts winter close preparation mid November and he's alone until early spring. Showed him clearing the roof of the lodge; he uses a rip type saw to cut blocks of snow and shoves the blocks off. Said it took him 2 years to learn 'not' to shovel, really saved his back. His photo's were beyond beautiful. The show was CBS Sunday Morning 3/8.

Need to run, hope everyone has a good day.

Dana

Twink
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:50 PM

Hey Dana, I saw that! In fact, I told DH that if I could take my critters with me, it would be my dream job - LOL! Ahhh, the solitude! He was like, Um, can I go too?

Sandy, sorry about your plates! I hate when I get a case of the dropsies - usually takes a day or 2 to run its course, for me anyway. The parents of my puppy are AKC registered bench-bred, or show springers as opposed to field-bred, or hunting springers. We prefer bench/shows as they tend to be larger, and have a block head instead of a pointed one. They are a high-energy, intelligent breed, and like to have a "job". Norton always went with me to tend the chickens, and helped me gather eggs!

Lorita, Sally sure surprised you, huh? Glad to hear the calf is coming along okay, and sorry to hear black cat didn't make it. Life on a farm - something's always coming or going, isn't it? It's sunny, and 44* here right now! Lots of melting happening, but will be cold again by Thurs. That's okay as we need a slow thaw, or will be facing some serious flooding problems!

Joan, glad the weather, Harv, and the trip to GJ were all good! Glad you're feeling better too! Roxy, had to laugh - with you - about your long johns in SoCal! It's all in what you're used to; I've seen several people today jogging by my office in shorts and tee shirts! 44 above is a heatwave for us right now!

Latest update on FIL is a possible allergic reaction to Vicoden he was taking for dental issues. So hard to tell yet as he has been healthy as a horse, and never treated by a doctor for any illness or injury, never took meds, until he was hit by a car last year! Up to that point, he has no medical history or records! Pretty amazing for an 83 y/o! He's a tough old Italian!

Leanne, Colleen, Lindas T and Dee, Linde, Jo, and everyone I've missed,...wishing y'all as great a day as possible! Think Spring! Big hugs, Twink

JNJKV
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:05 PM

Hi everyone, I had to rejoin so I could get on to reply. I tried for 2 weeks to get a password to go through. Don't know why my old quit working. I was JudeV and now JNJKV. Everytime they gave me a new password it would not work. So aggravating.

Jim is fine and I see him about every other day. Guess I will have to post some new pictures on here again. Worked outside yesterday but it was muddy. Spring is on its way, Going to be busy,,,,,
One graduation, 2 weddings and 2 greatgrand babies on the way.

Glad to be back on

Judy

Mulelady
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:02 PM

Good Afternoon,
I have been locked out for a couple of days and now I just lost a long post. Arrgh!!!
I nearly did what Judy had to do and rejoin with a new ID, but called them and a very nice young lady unlocked my account.
Judy, I am glad that Jim is doing well. How exciting, 2 weddings and 2 great grand babies!!! Will they live close enough so you will be able to enjoy them?
Twink, 44 degrees, you must be sweating. Get out the picnic basket! Bet the hens were happy to see the sky.
Your inlaws are incredibly lucky that you married into their family. FIL must be a tough old bird if he can come out of a fight with a car and still be mobile. I suppose with the snow so deep, the deer wouldn't have anything to eat if you didn't feed them. You better not get sick or hurt, there are too many beings counting on you.
I had to chuckle, pictured you DH with kitty on leash walking up and down a snow tunnel of a drive way. I would pay for a picture of that.
Colleen, So now you are an electrical engineer. It is so great to find out we can do things without help. Very empowering. I would gladly lop off the bottom of you sleeping bag, it would be no problem for my big machine.
For all who are curious. I make tents from roll of material to standing and finished.
I bought the big machine so I could patch and fix the stuff we used in the mountains. It was aggravating to wait for someone else to do the work, and very expensive. I then started doing repairs for neighbors and friends, word got out that I would fix things in a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable price. After fixing a gob of tents, I decided I could make one for us. We wanted something that was lighter than our canvas wall tent and easier to put up, but still tough enough for our needs. I designed a pyramid type tent made out of 420 denier coated nylon.
It was 10' by 10'. After we used it once, I added a 5' porch.
Soon after that, added sides to porch, then another 5' with side and a door. Morphed into 10' x 20'. It was pretty cobbled together so the next year I made a new one with the 10'x20' in mind. Worked good. People saw us using it and wanted their own because it only took about 15 minutes to put up and the poles could be cut where ever.
I have improved on the design, and make a lot of 12x14 tents. I think I have made about 65 of them. I also make
panniers (bags to go on pack saddle) and custom bags for whatever I make covers for backhoes and other machinery. I have also made a lot of covers for riding lawn movers. I cut back when Don started to need more help and I couldn't leave him alone. I got so I was just doing repairs and not making big projects. Now, there is no reason not to do at least some sewing. But I don't want to do much in the spring and summer. I want to be outside. It is a good way for me to make some extra money and I have always enjoyed it. However, right now, I am having a hard time concentrating on anything for any length of time.
Lorita, I know just what you mean, I go from one thing to the next and have a hard time sticking to anything for long.
I harrow the hay fields to break up all the manure and scatter it. Where ever it lays, it kills grass and hay. The harrow also breaks up what vegetation is still on the ground and lets the air get down. Kind of wakes everything up and gets it ready to fertilize.
The swans and pelicans are so big, they are amazing. I don't think a swan would have any problem running off a coyote. The geese do it, and swans are way bigger. The pelicans stay on the sanctuary all summer along with some of the geese.
Glad the baby is doing good. It is good she just appeared so you weren't checking every couple of hours. I have about 100 of the neighbors cows right next to me. The calves are so cute. With the nice weather, they are running and playing then laying in the sun to sleep.
Hope you can fix you flag pole, that sounds like a good idea. A piece of pipe should work, just be careful you don't fall out of the back of the pickup while you are doing it.
Joan, So glad Harv is doing better. You will be busy making bears for a few days. I will make the bear out of Abbys skirt as soon as I bring my small sewing machine down from its hiding place upstairs. I use it so seldom and I get mad at it, because after using the big one, it doesn't seem to have enough power or speed.
Hope your weather is as nice as ours. 60 degrees right now.
Jo, The 90's is way to warm for me. I would melt. Hope you are feeling better.
My animals are starting to get with the time change. I really love having that extra time in the evening. But, like everyone else, I am having a little trouble adjusting. The donkeys were ready for me this morning, and the horses and mules came in from the pasture when they heard me go out the back door. I fed everyone and locked the horses and mules in. Then came in for my coffee and did my exercises. My muscles are getting much stronger, the side leg lifts aren't near as hard as they were. Now the squats are also getting easier. Then I went out and trimmed Ruby's feet. She was good, but now my legs and hips are tired. I was going to do another one today, but I think it is wise for me to do just one a day.
Hopefully, as warm as it is, the snow and ice will be gone soon. I really want to go for a horseback ride, but as long as the ice is still around I won't. Don't want to take a chance of horse falling and hurting himself or me. Some years back, Don had a mule fall on ice that he didn't see and he got several broken ribs and the mule was limping for a month. I can wait a few more days.
Well now I surely hope that I don't lose this post. Hope everyone has a great afternoon and a quiet evening. Leanne

Mulelady
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:16 PM

Hey, Dana, I also watched that show. My grandpa used to cut snow that same way to clear his roof. He lived right in the mountains where the snow stays all winter. I had forgotten about it until I saw the show. Once his cabin got totally snowed over and a bear got on his roof in the spring. A big grizzly, grandpa wasn't there as had to move to town when he could no longer get to or into cabin. He said the tracks were huge.
I did also fix my barn door this morning. Put on a new handle and fixed the latch. Now, I won't be cussing everytime I try to get in and the door is stuck.
I have made up for not being on for a day or so. I really needed to talk evidently. Leanne

telinde
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:34 PM

Good Evening All.

Leanne, thanks for explaining your sewing business. That's interesting, and definitely something to keep you busy. I can't imagine making something that large. You're amazing.

Glad your muscles around your hip are getting stronger. Every year I get older, I swear it's harder to keep in shape. I did take a long walk today, so maybe I'll get back into my hiking mode and start enjoying the outdoors again.

Lorita, I hope the baby is feeling better today. Good the vet can check on her and make sure she is okay, and that she does eat when you help her get latched on. Funny how she communicates with you by looking at you, knowing you will help her. Animals are smart.

Rest up while you can. Spring will be here before we know it, and you will have too much to do again.

Judy, glad you got back on again. I haven't had any problems getting logging on, just in losing posts and sometimes the bold key. I'm sure you have been frustrated. Welcome back

Twink, I didn't get to see that show because I left early to visit Harv. That would have been very interesting to watch. Glad you have been having somewhat of a heat wave. Sure hope it comes and goes until you can get some of that snow melted. I hope your BIL is healing okay. You are very generous to help everyone the way you do. You are a blessing to all of them.

We had another beautiful day here. Blue sky and in the 50's. I'm about ready to get outside and trim the bushes and get the flower beds tilled and ready for spring. I need to fertilize and get some cotton burr to add to them this year. I'm going to try the tomatoes in pots on the back deck this year. I am hoping they do ok.

Nothing much going on in our neck of the woods. Guess I'll sit and watch tv for awhile. I finished my book the other night, so need to get my kindle out and see what I have on there to read. Have a good night and rest well. Joan

Adult only child
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 10:23 PM

Hi all, Lorita I hope you watch Amazing Race, it's a great way to see the world, and more fun through others eyes! Trying to not make every jealous but...., finished planting the veg garden today. Had to, getting warm too early. Joan, have you tried planting the tomato pots on wheels to catch the full sun, easily movable and exercise. Leanne and Twink, that Yellowstone guy was way too cool. How'd he put it? 'I'm not a hermit'? Thought of you immediately Twink; anyone who enjoys the NH winter might find refuge in that open world. What a great place to live for 40 years, and he aged rather well! Colleen and Lorita, have gotten both parents prints to send to Cheryl. Not sure if I'll show them when I get them. Leanne, if you can make a tent, you can make a car cover. You might be able to motorize the cover to remove winter snow? Sort of like a convertible top mechanism, but might have to fit like a back hoe? Table's big enough, be fun to try? LOL, just think'in. I'm not having much trouble with the time change, keeps me outside later in the evenings; thank heavens the bugs haven't detected the change. Hope all is well with everyone I missed,

CA Dana

Sandymac
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 4:47 AM

Hi everyone.......Leanne. I REALLLY need you now... We've just had a massive storm go through here. And Guess what? The other shade sail has split! Another $250 to get it fixed!!!! But they do resew all the outer seams as well. I know we've lost half of a tree as well, but haven't been able to see if there's any other damage because it's now dark. See what the morning brings. It's been so hot and humid here, I knew a storm was brewing, but nothing like we had.

Lorita, glad Baby is nursing well now....they usually do without any trouble don't they?We've never had a problem with any of the calves we've had...not that we've had a herd like yours...just one milker.

Was locked out for a while and have just had to get a new password....Just when I had learnt the other new one, and this is nowhere as easy. Sent them an email because it didn't work at first, but it did this time. Who knows what will happen next time?

Ice Dams people....I really can't imagine that. Our coldest winter days are about 25-26....and we complain about that!

Leanne, I hope you get to make that teddy for Zane. A few years ago a friend of mine got me to make two teddies, plus a porcelain doll dressed in the same satin from her grandmothers dressing gown, for her grandchildren....It was something special for them, and I loved doing it.

Had a lovely visit from an old friend today....her husband has two cancers, one in the brain, and the radiation has now brought on dementia with him. We were able to commiserate with each other, and she could listen to Rons stories and make the appropriate comments each time.

ligantim
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:56 AM

Good Morning to each of you.

Today will be rod's first day at Day Club without me. Day CLub is a 4 hour program for alz/dementia patients. It is sponsored by our ALZ Alliance which is like Alz Association but is strictly local. The purpose of day club is to provide 4 hours of respite for the caregiver while offering activities for the LO. Rod really enjoyed last week and I am hopeful he will like it without me today.

Twink I glad you are getting some thawing. I still cannot imagine living in the conditions that are your "normal". We have had 2 days of dreary rain and no sunshine. The sunshine should be back today and I am so ready for it. During the past two weeks we have had some ice an snow but of course in true East Texas style it melted within a day or two of falling. BTW I think it is neat you feed the deer.

Lorita, I am glad the first baby of the season arrived so easily and am also glad he is nursing better.

Leanne, sounds like your sewing has been a strong business in the past. I like to sew but only clothes and small crafts.

Sandy, what kind of plates did you break? The ongoing story of them makes me wonder if you paint china. That has been one of my many hobbies for a long time. Rod's grandmother taught me all that I know. I seemed to learn it quickly and easily. It is fun but it takes a lot of time that I have not had in recent years.

I hope everyone has the best day possible.

LindaT

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:47 AM

Morning,

Very foggy here this morning and cool. I'm going to the VARO this morning but will wait until the fog lifts some.

I read posts yesterday but just not up to posting. Lots of interesting things going on in our e-world. When I get back I'll write a bit. Also will get some mineral tubs.loafing area is still muddy-and have to go by the bank. I'd rather not go but have to.maybe it'll do me some good to get off the farm. The baby is latching on by herself and they can come out in the lot in the sun today.

The sun is shining so the fog should lift soon. Better eat breakfast and get going. Hope everyone,s day goes well.

Mulelady
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:33 PM

Good Afternoon,
Lorita, I hope you can get the VARO stuff taken care of today so that it is behind you. I know how you have been dreading it, but it won't just go away. I find it a huge relief to get those things done so I no longer have to worry about them.
Calif Dana, I am hugely envious of your veggie garden!!
My garden plot is still under ice and snow. The rest of the yard is pretty much thawed off, but the garden is surrounded by shrubs and bushes and protected from the wind. Also, the snow has melted and frozen in there since Dec. and is pretty much ice. I have made covers for almost everything. If someone wants one, I measure whatever it is and figure out how to make it. The back hoe and excavator covers are pretty much like huge toaster covers with tie downs.
Sandra, If it were at all feasible, I would be happy to mend your sail. I'm very sure it won't cost $250. That is why I started doing stuff myself, I thought the prices were way out of line. I charge $20 an hour plus material and feel that I make a good profit on my work. I don't have a lot of overhead, so that helps. Hope the storm didn't damage too much. How did Aria manage? I am glad you got a chance to visit with a friend that understands your situation, I sure she felt the same way about you.
Linda T, Day Club sounds like an excellent thing. I have never heard of anything like it around here. Is it expensive? I have been trying to think of some way to help out in the Alz community here and that sounds like something we need in this area. It is wonderful that you paint china. You don't have time now, but there will come a time when you will be able to get back to it. Keep it fresh in your mind. Something to fall back on when you are finding a new normal.
Joan, I agree that staying in shape is much harder as we age. I feel like a total wreck right now. What is cotton burr? And why do you add it to gardens? I have grown tomatoes in pots and they do good, but they are a little harder to keep wet enough. I used some liter bottles with the self-watering spouts that you can get at the hardware store for mine. Worked great just had to fill the bottles about once a week or so, depending on how hot it is.
If you don't like the way they look, you can just use them when you are going to be gone. I found that the plants pretty much hid them after a while.
I went out this morning and loaded some wood scraps in the truck and took them to the neighbors burn pile. Then I hooked up the horse trailer and checked out my new cord for the trailer lights. I worked!! Yippee!! Now I can be legal going down the road.
Then I trimmed Pearl's feet and Spot's. By the time I got him down, my hips were crying "Uncle". It seems I never know when to quit while I'm ahead. I know that my exercises have made me much stronger, so I don't think I will be sore, just tired now. I kept thinking that Don was watching me, making sure I did it right. I hope he approved. I also clipped Spot's bridle path and combed all the tangles out of his mane and tail. I am ready to ride.
My dad's last sister passed away yesterday. She was the youngest of 13. I believe she was 88 or 89. Went peacefully while taking a nap. The funeral will probably be next week. It is a 4 hour drive, but I plan to go. Mom may go with me, but Zane said he would like to go too. I have MANY cousins in that area, so will be good to visit with them. Seems the only time we get together is a wedding or a funeral and the older we get, the more it is just funerals. 61 degrees here again today, but cloudy. It looks like it might rain at any time.
My dogs are having a little war, Trixie found a ball on the way to the mailbox yesterday. She loves balls and would barely put it down yesterday. Today, Dinah has somehow gotten it and is laying on top of it. Trix is having a little tizz. I tried giving them another ball so they each had one, but they both want THE ball. The only difference between the balls is the color, but obviously there is something better about the found ball.
I better get cleaned up, I am going to go see about my tractor again. I would like to get it home so I can clean corrals and harrow.
I hope everyone has a good day. It truly feels and smells like spring here. The has lightened my heart some.
Leanne

× Close Menu