Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.

Site Maintenance Completed.   Click here for details.

RSS Feed Print
Recent video on Myriam
Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 11:28 AM

I decided to see if there were any recent news stories on Myriam, too, and found this video.

http://kuow.org/post/its-devastating-disease-myriam-marquez-living-alzheimers

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 3:49 PM

Thanks Llee,

I couldn't find a date. Could you? It may be current because it may have been about six years ago that I first met Miriam at the DC Forum.

As she said she has that certain kind of AD that usually presents itself earlier than it did with her. She in a very smart lady and this may have provided enough "cognitive reserve" so she was still able to function.

I have the more common type that is sporadic in whom it hits but usually after retirement age.

One thing we do have in common: the folks we met in our Early Stage groups. For me, we were a trio. I'm the only one left.

I know that the rate of decline varies greatly. I wish there were more research into why. Are Best Practices really working? Several of us these boards think so. Or is it just the luck of the draw????

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:57 PM

This is the first time I have heard Myriam's voice. She sounds great and looks great. So does Joe Cocker. I miss having her on the boards.

I found this as a radio interview, not a video, Lane. Did I miss the video?

Iris L.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 10:09 AM

I have often wondered this myself, Mimi. Certain treatments seems to help certain people and not others and certain treatments seem to help everyone but some more than others. A Mediterranean diet may be an example of the latter.

Without analyzing this too much, two things always amazed me about Myriam. One she had the presenilin gene and yet her onset was on the outer edge of what one would expect for the onset of early Alzheimer's disease. And two she has progressed very slowly for the six years following diagnosis. I am not sure specifically what she may have done to delay onset. But after onset, she used aromatherapy, meditation, medications, and followed a Mediterranean diet. Perhaps, the combination was more effective than any one in particular. And there are the intangible effects of intelligence, resiliency, and positive attitude.

The date posted for the caption was August 28, 2015 but the picture and radio interview may have been earlier (you are right Iris--there is no video; I may still have had Sandy's video in my mind). It is good to see Myriam (and Joe Cocker's) picture and to hear her voice.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 5:11 PM

wonderful share....thanks
Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:46 PM

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 8:19 PM

I think you will hear some big news about Myriam on the 26th.

Unforgiven
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 3:35 PM

It was so great to see and hear Myriam! I hope she continues to hang on as she has so far. She's kind of like a high functioning non-dementia person in her speech and demeanor. It's like my friend said, the higher you start out the longer you can function and function well.

You know, all you guys are my hope and inspiration, too late for my mother, but not too late for my family line.

× Close Menu