Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.

Site Maintenance Completed.   Click here for details.

RSS Feed Print
Sleep problems
julielarson
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:07 AM

Does anyone else on here have sleep problems? It is a rare night that I sleep all the way through the night these days. Most of the time I get up at around the 4 hour mark and then go back to sleep an hour or so later and get the rest of my sleep. Tonight has been worse due to a visit with a doctor coming up today, and wondering how that is going to go.
Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:02 AM

Hi Julie,

Welcome to our world.

Do speak to our doctor about this.

Are you on Aricept? Taken in the evening that might help.

And depending on your age, it also might be age appropriate. Can you relax? Do relaxation exercises.

Do tell us more about yourself.

Ruthanne
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:10 AM

I rarely get more than 3-4 hours sleep at night. I don't trust myself with sleeping pills. Do you have Alz....... Ruthanne
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:22 AM

Welcome, Julie and Ruthanne. Early morning awakening is a symptom of depressive disorder. Be sure to speak to the doctor about this.

Lack of sleep impacts memory and cognition. Work on discovering why you don't sleep well. You may need an overnight sleep study in a sleep lab to look for sleep apnea. Google sleep apnea+memory.

Iris L.

julielarson
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 4:54 AM

Hi everyone, Well so far I am experiencing MCI symptoms for the last several years, but now they are wondering if it is one of my meds. I just found that out yesterday and am not impressed. I say that because I know it is more than the meds causing my problems with memory, visio-spacial problems. So here we go tinkering with my bi-polar med to see if that is what is causing this. I know that I had an MRI 2 years ago and they found several lesions in my white matter and I also have some deposits of calcium in my globus paladus.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:46 PM

I had an MRI 2 years ago and they found several lesions in my white matter

My neurologist recently told me about a term I was unfamiliar with, leucoaraiosis. It involves white spots on the MRI. You might want to google this and get more information.

In the meantime, do check out your medications for the side effects that you are experiencing. You can check on www.rxlist.com and other sites. You might discuss this with the prescribing doctor.

Iris L.

× Close Menu