Site Maintenance Completed. Click here for details.
Loading discussion content. Please wait...
I Have Alzheimer’s or Another Dementia
I'm new to this side of the board.
(1) Sticking as closely as you can to a Mediterranean diet (with wine and nuts), which has been shown to help prevent/delay the onset of AD, and also slow its progression. See:
Basically, it involves:
- High intake of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and cereals
- High intake of unsaturated fatty acids (mostly in the form of olive oil)
- Low intake of saturated fatty acids
- Moderately high intake of fish
- Low-to-moderate intake of dairy products (mostly cheese or yogurt)
- Low intake of meat and poultry
- A regular but moderate amount of ethanol, primarily in the form of wine and generally during meal.
To that, I would add eating a quarter cup of nuts every day -- quite a few studies have found they're very good for you.
Also, olive oil is very good for salad dressings etc, but not so much so for cooking especially at higher temps. Use canola oil for that, or a mix of the two. (I've seen plenty of products that contain olive and canola oils.)
Avoid hydrogenated fats and trans fats like the plague.
(2) Lots of physical exercise ... there is quite a bit of evidence it can help prevent/delay onset.
(3) Lots of exercise for the brain -- activities that involve learning something new. I've seen some reports that learning new things coupled with using a computer can be particularly helpful.
(4) Socialization, doing things with friends and family.
(5) Plenty of rest.
(6) NO SMOKING!!! and avoid air pollution as much as possible.
(7) Do whatever you can do to minimize stress.