Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Alternate to Aricept and excelon
ffwife54
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 8:22 PM

i can't handle aricept even in small doses and excelon doesn't do a thing for me at the current dose I'm at 9.5 and I experience chest pain and atrial fib on anything higher. My question is what are the alternative choices??? What other meds are out there that have been proven effective?,
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 9:23 PM

Is the problem with Aricept GI upset?  If so, try lactose free diet.

It is a good idea to discuss this with your doctor.

llee08032
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 6:14 AM

FFWife,

Galantamine is the other medication that was recommended to me. I could not tolerate the other meds and after all I went through with the meds I'm afraid to take the Galantamine as well.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 6:18 AM

Also Namanda

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 7:32 AM

I believe there be bout 5 drugs this class.  That said, some dementias just do no do well them.  Many can no take them.  <3
ffwife54
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 7:52 AM

I'm taking Namenda Extended Relief.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 9:36 AM

The four drugs currently approved for Alzheimer's disease are Aricept, Exelon, Galantamine and Namenda.  Galanatamine unfortunately has several potential side effects including nausea, headaches, and a slow or irregular heart beat.  

There are several drugs currently being tested for Alzheimer's disease, but the results so far have either been largely negative or too early in the process to tell if the results will be positive.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 10:12 AM

They all have side effects which are different for each of us. I take Galanatamine and have none that I am aware of. What may work for one person may not work for another. It is in important to try them all and combinations to see which is the right fit. If you see improvement in 3-4 weeks keep taking it. If not its probably not helping you. They don’t work for 50% of the folks.

JodiL
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 10:10 PM

I am new to this message board.. I was on Aricept since 2007 and had no problems with the med although memory has gotten much worse in the last 6 months, and yesterday  I just started taking Exelon generic (rivasstigmine patch 9.5 mg) along with Aricept and am miserable with all the side effects--stomach upset, diarrhea, weak and feeling terrible... doctor told me stop Aricept today and to use the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) but still feel pretty rotten.. It has only been two days tho.. any idea how long this "misery" will last?  Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

Jodi

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 11:12 PM

Welcome, Jodi.  You should never take Aricept and Exelon patch together.  They are the same class of medication.  You were giving yourself a double dose of medication!  How long were you taking a double dosage?  You must keep the prescribing doctor aware of your response to the double dosage.  If things get worse, you will have to go to the Emergency Room.

I hope when you feel better, you will return and tell us more about yourself.  Can you let us know your treatment plan?

Iris L.

JodiL
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 3:06 PM

I am being treated by the Lou Ruvo Cleveland Brain Clinic.  The doctor was aware that I had been on Aricept for several years, and helped me immensely but started declining the last few months in it's help, he was "adding" the rivastigmine.  I reported the problem the second day of taking it, and he took me off the Aricept. They have been great--contacting me several times a day to see how I am doing, etc.  Today is day 3 and with the "BRAT" diet he gave me whih I am suposed to do for 5 days, I am doing better--not sure if it is the diet or deleting the Aricept. He said it should take about 5 days for the symptoms to die down..and resume a better diet.    Let me know if you have any questions and/or suggetions.  Much appreciate your rsponse and help!
JodiL
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 3:33 PM

One thing I should add is my father had early onset Alzheimer's at age 50, entered a nursing home at 60,  by age 65 he didn't know any family members, etc.,  and passed away at 70.  My diagnosis was at age 62.  My oldest brother died at age 70 (of cancer) but also had serious dementia (although he was a boxer, and we now know more about damages that could be caused from that--so that may have been his cause) , and my other brother who is 2 years older than I am has just been  diagnosed with dementia a couple of weeks ago.  He has always been a brilliant college professor, (retiring this year)  well-known all over the world for his 50+ history books written etc. All three of us in very different professions.. mine was mostly medical transcription for about 25 years then technology working in data centers and computers, for the last 20 years.
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 3:43 PM

Jodi, I am glad your doctors are closely following you.  You might think about asking them about adding Namenda, which has been shown to improve functioning in conjunction with Aricept or Exelon.  I myself have been on Exelon patch and Namenda since 2009 with improvement.

I was a pediatrician in my career days, so I am very familiar with the BRAT diet.  One of our members, Mimi S., also suggests a lactose-free diet for gi disturbances with Aricept or Exelon.

Have you and your family had genetic testing?  One of our members, Myriam, is in a family with the presenelin 1 gene abnormality.  If you go back about two years in this board, you may find some of her threads where she discusses this.  

Iris L.

JodiL
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 3:57 PM

Thanks for the additional info.. No we have not had genetic testing.. my oldest brother has 3 children, my other brother has 2 and I and 2 children..  I will check Myriam's posts.
TheSteven
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 8:03 PM

Hi ffwife54,

A non pharmacological alternative to Aricept (donepezil) is Huperzine-A (Chinese club moss). Its intended to perform in the same way as donepezil without nasty side effects but is considered a supplement since you don't need a prescription. My first Mass General neurologist (who was of Japanese descent) who diagnosed my Younger Onset Alzheimer's had asked me if I had tried it (which I had) since I was into that sort of thing. After I halted my Alzheimer's progression, verified by MRIs, the doctor at Mass General changed their diagnosis to only Mild Cognitive Impairment, I asked to wean off donepezil and go back to Huperzine-A. They agreed it would be fine. Of course this treatment alternative was after I had removed my mercury dental fillings and did nine months of mercury detox which reversed my Alzheimer's. I have more info on this at my blog at http://thestevenalztreatment.blogspot.com

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 8:34 PM

UCSD used the Huperzine A. Also it may make a difference what time of day you take the med.

× Close Menu