Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Words of encouragement from Kim Campbell, wife of Glen Campbell
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:50 PM

Kim Campbell was one of the speakers at the Early Memory Loss Forum presented today by Alzheimer's Greater Los Angeles.  She presented her story, and said several encouraging statements which I copied down, for personal uplift to myself, in the future.

"Live in the moment.  Make the best of every single day."

Regarding Glen, she said, "You never lose your ability to love and to be loved."

She said Glen is always optimistic, positive and sweet, even as he is losing capabilities.

"Don't worry about the past.  Don't worry about tomorrow.  Count your blessings, and be a blessing."

The following is the biography that was presented.

Kim Campbell grew up on the coast of North Carolina.  After graduating with a BFA in Dance from East Carolina University, she moved to New York and began dancing at Radio City Music Hall with the Rockettes.  It was during this time that she met and fell in love with  country/pop artist Glen Campbell,.  After a whirlwind romance, they were married (1982) and planted their roots in Phoenix, Arizona.  With God's help ad tough love, Kim helped Glen overcome his addictions to alcohol and cocaine.  The couple built their marriage on their faith and dedicated themselves to raising their three children, Cal, Shannon, and Ashley.  In 2005, Kim and Glen moved to Malibu, CA to be close to their children, all musicians following in their father's footsteps.  From there, Kim attended UCLA Extension pursuing a certificate in Interior Design, while her husband continued to entertain and amaze the world with his musical prowess.

In 2011, when Glen was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Kim stood by her husband through the tumultuous sea of adversity that accompanies this cruel disease.  Kim, Glen, and their children courageously decided to share his battle with the disease by inviting filmmakers James Keach and Trevor Albert to document Glen's Goodbye Tour.  Kim remained by Glen's side every step of the way for what turned out to be an exhilarating, 151 show world tour culminating in the award winning documentary, Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me.

In 2013, Kim and Glen made the move to Nashville, Tennessee where Kim now focuses on spending quality time with Glen at his memory support community and raising awareness for Alzheimer's patients and their caregivers.  She and Glen have now been married 33 years.

Kim is a co-founder of the I'll Be Me Alzheimer's Fund which is supported under the umbrella of Volunteers of America; a member of the Patient/Caregiver Advisory council for the Alzheimer's and Dementia Patient/Caregiver Powered Research Network (AD-PCPRN); and sits on the board of Abe's Garden, the first memory care community in the US dedicated to providing and elevating the quality of the full spectrum of memory care for those with Alzheimer's.

Kim is also an honorary faculty member of the Erickson School, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, which is dedicated to connecting the brainpower of a leading research university with the practical expertise and knowledge of aging services leaders nationwide.

She has earned many accolades including:  2015 Ballinton & Maud Booth Award (Volunteers of America), 2015 Caregiver Leadership Award (CaringKind...fka Alzheimer's Association, New York City Chapter),  2014 Music has Power Award - IMNF (Institute for Music & Neurologic Function), 2014 Senator William Proxmire Award (Intergrace), 2014 Humanism in Medicine Award (Arnold P. Gold Foundation), 2014 Glen Campbell Courage Award ( A Night at Sardis), and 2012 Open Hearts Award (Open Hearts Foundation).

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:29 AM

Thanks iris.

You did get something positive from the meeting!

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:46 PM

What an example of what one woman can do!!!!  And she is still caring for Glenn, even though he is not at home.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 5:26 PM

Glen Campbell passed away at age 81.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/glen-campbell-rhinestone-cowboy-singer-who-fused-country-and-pop-dead-at-81/ar-AApJyAK?li=BBnbfcL

Iris L.

Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 9:14 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI

His last recording about his final journey in life.

× Close Menu