Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
movie about memory loss
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 3:49 PM

Apparently there is a character in the animated movie, Finding Nemo, who had memory loss.

Dory is the friendliest fish in the ocean. Although she suffers from short term memory loss, to Dory, the glass is always half full. 

http://movies.disney.com/finding-nemo/characters

Dory will have her own movie this summer, confirming that there is life after memory loss.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 5:46 PM

We know there is.
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:42 PM

I just watched a documentary on PBS.org  POV (point of view series) called

THE GENIUS OF MARIAN

http://www.pbs.org/pov/geniusofmarian/

Watching her trying to figure out how to get an arm in a jacket made me cry. I was doing that last winter. Her husband becomes sole caregiver, one son  makes a movie of her life with ALZ. Her mother also had ALZ, she was a great painter.

I did not know about the character in Disney movie.  Thank you!

Thanks for discussion about disaster of caregiving yesterday. We are going to look into the Waiver program (think that is it?) and get in line. Had talk with Keeper today, I agreed local nursing home would be ok...county home has a garden to sit in summers, bird feeders, small warm rooms in winter, and local cooks work there so not average NH food. Dog visitors encouraged!

Time to get out of bed and go for walk with dog, let my mind get off future problems and back to looking at the trees - many are being destroyed by a caterpillar and drought. I talk to them. Did you know 80% of a tree is underground? and they communicate through root systems. Very alive under our feet.

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:49 PM

How weird is this? I looked up Pam White from movie and found she died last week.

maybe movie was shown recently in honor of her?

https://www.facebook.com/TheGeniusOfMarian/

I think you can watch it on the facebook site? and netflix

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:31 PM

There was a POV show about Alzheimer's Disease on last night.  I noted it, but overlooked it because I had to call triple A out for my car.  I am waiting on the mechanic right now.  Later, I will search for the show about Marian.  Thanks for sharing, Alz+.

I love trees.  We have so many different types of trees here is southern CA.  I love to drive down streets and gaze at them.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 4:12 PM

Finding Dory is out today.  Short term memory loss is a theme of the movie.  If someone views it, can you report back?

Iris L.

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 10:36 AM

Another one on same type of theme is Me Before You, also out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh993__rOxA

alz+
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 1:03 PM

http://time.com/4373711/finding-dory-box-office/

"Finding Dory, directed by Andrew Stanton and Angus MacLane, sees Ellen DeGeneres returning to voice the title role of Dory, while Finding Nemo‘s Albert Brooks returns to voice Marlin. This time out, Hayden Rolence voices the character Nemo.

The story centers on Dory this time around, and her attempts to reunite with her family even as she battles an endless cycle of amnesia. Accompanied by Nemo and Marlin, Dory arrives at the Monterey Marine Life Institute, where she engages with new friends, including a white beluga whale named Destiny (Ty Burrell), a white shark (Kaitlin Olson) and a cranky octopus (Ed O’Neill).

The Hollywood Reporter: ‘Finding Dory’: Film Review

Central Intelligence, which stars Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart, is tracking to earn in the $30 million range. The film, directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber, follows a CIA agent (Johnson), a one-time teenage geek returning home for his high-school reunion, who enlists his former classmate (Hart) to help him complete a mission. Amy Ryan and Aaron Paul co-star.

New Line, Warner Bros. and Universal teamed on Central Intelligence, which cost roughly $50 million to produce.

This article originally appeared on The Hollywood Reporter."

thanks Iris for mentioning Dora - I would never have known.

mcarley
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 5:05 PM

A little neighbor girl explained my wife to another neighbor girl a while back by saying "She's like Dory from finding Nemo."

We did see Finding Dory when it cam out last week.  It was good, but some parts were hard for my wife to watch.

BillBRNC
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:54 AM

For some reason, just this morning I decided to Google the lists of famous or important people who died of Alz or had it but died from something else, keeping in mind that for every name on the list there were probably dozens and dozens more such people who never disclosed their problem outside the home. Anyway, I was blown away by the big name actors and actresses who had Alz, politicians, sports people, financial people, and others. The lists just went on and on. I can't for the life of me understand why our society seems to pay so little attention to those of us who have this things, or provide help to families that need it. It is viewed as the disease that someone else has. People might worry about getting it, but they don't do anything about it, at least from my very limited point of view. It is like every disease or quasi disease of any kind in our society, or sad thing of any kind that happens, is a trumpet call for government action, yet Alz seems to stay in the back alleys out of sight. I hope I'm wrong, but I was just feeling that way this morning. We are going out tonight with two couples from out of town who are good friends of my wife. I didn't want to go, and I wasn't going to go, but I decided I could suck it up and go for the good of my wife. These people don't know about my situation. They just think I have heart failure, which I do, but it is stable and somewhat better now. Anyway, all this somehow made me want to look up a who's who of the Alz set.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 11:41 AM

Bill, I see it as the dementias are where cancer was about thirty years ago.  No one talked about cancer.  Then family members got involved and started fundraising groups for their LOs who had passed from cancer.  Cancer patients began to speak out.  Celebrities got involved.  

For the dementias, there is some awareness now.  I see that there are several dementia groups, but that there is limited coordination of efforts.  Also, people like me with cognitive impairment are ignored completely.  My involvement is not wanted by the higher-ups.

Iris L.

× Close Menu