Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Anyone have to move out of parents house after they pass away?
Still Waters
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:33 AM

I have lived in the house all of my life, with my mother. Now that she passed away, I can not afford to live there alone. It is adding to my suffering, losing my mother then losing my home. Has anyone had to do this?

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:44 PM

Many have faced this. At least you will not have to worry about your sibling(s) since you had the house put in  your name.
Still Waters
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:07 PM

Unfortunately not. The house now belongs to both me and my POS sister. At the time we put the house in our names, my mother had shown only minor symptoms of Alzheimer's and there were no issues with my sibling. It was at the very beginning of Alzheimer's over 11 years ago.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 4:43 PM

Sorry...I thought otherwise. Hopefully you can work things out re selling it and your mother's things. Do be careful doing this.

I do not remember seeing if you had a service for your mother. If you did how did it work with your sister?

KML
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:24 PM

Would it be possible to buy out your sister's portion of the house?  Hopefully, your sister will be kind enough not to rush this process and allow you time to absorb everything that has happened.   I hope she will.  My cousins did this, they let their brother buy them out.  Another person I know bought out his sister's portion.  So maybe this could work for you, I hope.

If she would agree to sell you her half of the home, maybe you can rent out rooms to help with payments on the house.  Just an idea.

I didn't live in my parents home, but it was still very hard to sell it and get rid of their things.  I had hoped the home would stay in the family, but that didn't happen in my case.

Still Waters
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:14 PM

Can't afford it. I could rent. But at this point in my life, do I want to be a land lord? No. But thank you. I have thought of all of this.

× Close Menu