Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Changing brief on mother after hip repair surgery
cyanne
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:35 AM

Can someone please give me suggestions on changing my mom's brief after its been soiled? I have to do it alone; there's no one I can call to come and assist; and she won't allow my husband to help (I can understand that..I won't take her dignity/respect) away. She's in a hospital bed with rails so she can roll on the right hip with no problem; she can't roll on the left hip without excruciating pain; so the brief isn't all the way under her; I can only attach the right side and of course when she goes it's half on the brief and half on the waterproof pad; so there's laundry everyday some times 3 to 4 times a day. She can't lift her hips up either. Any ideas are greatly welcomed.
Stephanie Z
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:50 AM

Hi,

Sorry you are having problems. As long as your mom can roll over on one hip, you can change the diaper and put a new one on by tucking a good amount of the edge of the diaper under the good hip and rolling her on her back to finish.  Here is a video you might find helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMlw5dBk9LE

Stephanie Z

grammyteacher
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:11 PM

I change my mom in bed on my own. I get the briefs in a large size, even though mom is tiny. I also have an alternating pressure mattress pad (I mention this because I think it helps when I tuck). I roll the flap of the back under to form a roll. Then I turn her on one side and tuck the roll under her hip. Then I roll her back on her back. I can just use my fingers to unroll the side I had tucked and pull the center part up and tape both sides. I hope I described this well enough. Mom becomes agitated with the rolling side to side to this allows me to only roll on one side.
grammyteacher
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:14 PM

OOops I forgot to tell you how I remove the old one. I undo the tapes and roll the one side under. Pull down the front a bit and roll her on her side. This allows me to clean her up and the rolled side comes out from under her easily. Once clean I slide the clean one under as described.
cyanne
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:15 AM

Thank you StephanieZ. I'll watch the video.
cyanne
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:20 AM

Thank you grammyteacher. My mom hates all that rolling back and worth too it truly aggravates her then she gets angry. A nurse suggested a catheter but to me the risks are much too great. My mom will just have to be angry; when I'm done I have her favorite snack handy; then all is ok with the world until the next change.
grammyteacher
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 10:48 AM

It took me a lot of trial and error to get a rhythm for bed changing. Now with the method I use, I only roll her once on one side, then back. Much less agitation. My mom no longer recognized treats but that is a great distracted after Much luck to you.

× Close Menu