Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Unexpected Anger, Help..
Cat_Lover_58
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2017 3:06 PM

A relationship with a great girl didn't even get off the ground. She may not recall me? She may just be afraid to be in a new relationship? I've seen her memory loss get progressively worse in the last 6 months. 

More so than missing her, I seem to be going though a little heartache, but the anger at the unfairness of this disease really surprises me. I try to focus on what she may be going through. She's not called or texted much in the last few weeks. It's just there...maybe for good.

Anyhow, how do I resolve my anger at the injustice of this disease? I've gone to our local Alzheimer's Support Group and have the 24/7 line to call. I need to order The 36 Hour Day as well. 

Thanks, Cat

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 8:04 AM

Cat Lover, I'm not sure The 36 Hour Day  is what you are looking for. It's a great reference book, but not meant to read cover to cover.  Perhaps I'm Still Alice, by Lisa Genova would work better to understand what she's going through. Ask your librarian to get you a copy.

And I don't know how far your friend's disease has progressed, but I think it's up to you to initiate contact. 

Do also check out the Younger Onset section of the Message Boards 

Cat_Lover_58
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 12:47 PM

Ok, thank you!
Cat_Lover_58
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2017 9:46 AM

Hello Again..

I'm having a horrible time with how to go about this relationship. There are many other factors why I should just let things be and not try and be anything other than friends with this girl. I don't want to initiate anything further. She comes in to where I work and says hi. This is going to be enough for me. Guilt..? Absolutely I feel awful. 

I've tried other avenues of support. The pamphlets I received are not geared to those with EO. I do, however, have a wonderful support group here in town once a month. I will continue to attend for now. 

Thanks again Mimi for your response. =)

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2017 5:52 PM

Yes...very little is geared for either Young Onset (=younger than 65) or Early Onset (=early in disease process)....seems everything geared for older, late stage, end stage folks. 

Might I suggest the book, Dancing With Dementia by Christine Bryden?  It might even make a lovely gift for her.  It written by a lady who was dx'd dementia and she write about the experience of it so wonderfully that it almost make you feel good have it.   But, she also met and married someone After she was diagnosed.  You might really like the book. 

<3

Cat_Lover_58
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:38 PM

Thank you! Your comment really helped me! =)

× Close Menu