Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
OMIGOSH - Terrible Eaglet Crisis
Jo C.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 12:15 AM

This morning, I went online to see the little eaglets on the Washington DC eagle cam.   What I saw horrified me.  One of the little eaglets had caught its leg in the "V" of the big tree underneath a large twig that had built the nest and was now twisted upside down and could not get out.

The poor baby was crying piteously.   Mama Eagle stood by, but she could do nothing.   I went back an hour later and it was still the same; I could not bear to watch.  If it continued like that, it would perish.

Later, my husband checked in and the screens and sound had been shut off, BUT there was a note that the American Eagle Foundation professionals and the Fish and Game people went up and rescued the little eaglet.

They said it looked uninjured and in good shape for the time it had spent in that condition, but they were taking it to a vet and it would be back to the nest in a few days. 

The cameras and sound are still off.  Sure hope the baby eaglet does well and that the parent eagles accept it home again. 

I sure did get attached to them.

J.

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 7:28 AM

The cameras are back on again.  Just one little eaglet in the nest and it looks rather lonely that way.   Mother eagle was perched on a branch above the nest.  I wondered where the big eagles were when the humans got up into the tree to rescue the other baby eaglet.

By the way, the nest is about 96 feet up in the tree; long way for the rescuers to climb.  I am so hoping the second eaglet does well, survives and gets put back in the nest with no problem and also that the parent eagles accept it back.  It has to be extremely stressful for the baby.

Now that all the trees have leafed out and other plants have grown, this nest in the Arboretum in Wash. D.C. is in a gorgeous setting.  Wonder if it gives a feeling of more safety to the birds who lives in the trees.   The little eaglets are really huge, in three weeks they grew so fast it was like different birds were put into the nest each day.  They are just beginning to grow pin feathers now and that is good because the original down which they still have is not a good insulator.

Interesting that the original message on the eagle cam site explaining what happened, etc. is now gone and nothing took its place.  Evidently there was not room on the page for that.  Perhaps they will update later.

J.

alz+
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 9:01 AM

There is a warning on all the nest cam sites, a reminder this nature and things like this can and do happen.

I was so nervous about the eaglets last year I switched to the owl nest in Montana.   

Image may contain: bird

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 9:39 AM

The message is back and more thorough.   The eaglet, if it was going to be saved, had to be rescued yesterday as heavy rain and thunderstorms are expected in the area.   I so hope that being away from the nest does not stress the tiny eaglet too much.  Hopefully, he/she is still to much a baby to realize what is going on.

By the way, the baby owls are adorable.  I think I counted four in the nest if I am not mistaken.   Their first flight must be interesting.  Wonder if they do that at night.

When it rained the other day, the mother eagle stayed with the babies and got them as covered as she could to keep them out of the wet.  At one point, one of the babies had hidden his head under her breast, but his entire back half was sticking out.  Mom took some straw off the nest floor and put it on the babies backside to cover it better.  I really found that quite endearing.

I usually watch for about ten minutes in the early a.m. and then find myself checking in for a few minutes in the afternoon if I am on the computer.  Amazing how much can happen in just that short time.

Gosh, alz+, you and I are like two nervous aunties.   I never expected to have my heart get involved with these little creatures; but you are also so right, nature is nature.  Heck; I cried watching Bambi. 

I remember last year when the other little eaglets, Freedom and Liberty grew up and took their first fledging flights.  I was actually proud of them.   Now they are somewhere flying and fishing and being pre-adults.   They are so beautiful when they fly.  Gorgeous.

There is a contest underway to name these two little ones.  It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

J.

BlueSkies
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 12:08 PM

Thanks for sharing this. 

I do so enjoy nature and it's so true that sometimes it hurts to watch, but yes, it's just a part of living and dying.  I have to remind myself this all the time because sometimes nature seems so cruel.  I am also like a nervous auntie, lol.  I'm sure many of us here are that way.  Especially us women as were are care takers by nature.  We want to get in there and fix things, comfort, etc...

Again thanks for sharing Jo C. and alz.  Love it!

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 1:47 PM

Little eaglet is at the Maryland Zoo Veterinarian's being given royal treatment.

He/she is sitting up on his/her legs and has been fed duck and fish.  Yummy!   No broken bones, but a swollen and abraded leg that will heal.  They expect to put the little eaglet back in the nest  either tonight or tomorrow a.m.   So hope they do it tonight.

NOTE:  This appears to me to be, DC 4.  I think this because DC5's eyes are black banded around the face this one is not.   DC 5 is also supposed to have smaller eyes and a narrower head, but I have not been able to discern that as yet.

Anyway, little eaglet seems no worse for wear at this point; they'd better get it back to its nest asap.

Gotta say, I have fallen in love with the little creatures; wouldn't ya just know that would happen.

julielarson
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 2:01 PM

Awww! The little creature will be home in no time..
Jo C.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 5:10 PM

Okay . . . . it is 3:06 PST and I checked in on the Eagle Cam.   The little eaglet had already been returned to the nest! 

I do not see any mamma or pappa eagle, but they could be up farther in branches or in a nearby tree.  Both eaglets are fast asleep.  It will feel all back to normal when I see Mamma Eagle feeding her little ones; then we will know all is well.  Hope that is soon.

Bet Mr. and Mrs. Eagle were a bit undone watching the big man-person with hardhat and harness actually entering their nest.   I can only imagine.

J.

alz+
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 5:45 PM

what!? who carried the baby 90' into the air to replace it?

nervous auntie - sums me up. I get worked up over animal shows on tv too, so I am glad I missed the event with the bird crying and got the good news ending from you here.

the owls are adorable and sometimes there are 2 parents in the little nest. better get out of my nest now too for awhile.

thanks for update!

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 8:00 PM

alz+ and everyone; this you just have to see . . . talk about awesome.  It is on the American Eagle Foundation site on Facebook.   If you don't have Facebook, you can click on this link and where one can check in, under it; it says something like, "not now."  Go ahead and click on that, scroll down just a little, and you can still watch the video.

The arborist climed with ropes and pulleys in the driving rain to get the eaglet back into the nest.  The man had to stand inside the nest too.   Then the eaglet gets released and the man has to get his ropes and himself back down . . . .

BUT, watch what the eaglet does as soon as the man is gone and he is by himself.  Had to laugh: 

https://www.facebook.com/AEFNestCams

Mother and father finally came and fed the kids and later, the kids had a fight pecking and bumping each other which they do from time to time.  Seems like things will get back to normal right away.

So glad and so relieved.

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 8:49 PM

Animals bring out the best in humans. The video to see is the one where the man watches this video...he must be roaring.

Thanks!

× Close Menu