Brain Awareness Month

Help us enhance the ALZConnected experience by taking our survey.

RSS Feed Print
the down side of feeling better
alz+
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 7:38 PM

So I am doing quite a bit better. My physical energy is much higher than in past 8 years. I am stronger and can walk a mile or more a day.

As I began to get out more and recovered my ability to have conversations I also notice the junk in the house, the broken faucets, the dirt, the stuff to be given away, the yard needs mowing, etc. So aggravation returns with abilities. Darn it.

I decided to have a garage sale. This has been 5 years waiting to happen. Turns out I have been going to thrift stores and garage sales collecting prize pieces of clothing and putting it all in boxes, suitcases, closets. Last week I realized I was- in my imagination - shopping for the vintage clothes my best friend and I used to sell in our little store in Northern California in 1971. It was clogging my life now and I don't want to sell on eBay, so I decided to have a garage sale.

Most of you know I could not get out of bed much 2 years ago except by major force. I could not clean up the mess. But now that I am doing better I have worked since Monday sorting, washing, folding, hanging, making tags with clothing name, price, and size.  My husband helped clean out garage, we sold a broken lawn mower. 

I made racks to hang clothes and cleaned all the shoes, assembled everything etc etc etc. 40 hours hard labor. So I get it together and 2 men came right away who bought stuff I did not even have in the sale. And no one else came all day! Oh my God.

In the heat. In the rain.

Put it all back in garage. Pulled it out again today. Set up, posted again on social media. Husband put up sign in town, 2 people came.

In the heat, then the rain. So after hauling all that around I am ready to let it all go! Have been working on letting go a long time, but until I could take the steps to move it out nothing happened.

I am stunned by being able to meet the physical demands, the mental stuff! I think it is safe to say the belief we only go downhill has been proven false. If my brain was actually injured or impaired from x, y or z then it should not be chugging along again.

If I had not found my own treatment I know I would be in bedsore land staring at the wall by now.

Does Mary still post here? she inspired me to eat vegetarian again and I love it. 

So have not been online as much and was up to my neck sorting clothes and shoes. Still missing one box of dresses... hmn, what if I ever find the "safe place" I put all that stuff?

But all that work! all that effort! and I made $45 so far. Ha! And I still have to get clothes to some other place ~ Ha! and I don't care...before I began to feel better this would have had me yelling and sulking in bed.

when we get all the stuff gone we hope to convert garage to summer room for art and projects, and install insulation and a heater for winter art projects.

ps: men who came first day knew there was something off about me, so I told them I have Alzheimer's and they became so sweet! They bought 2 old folding chairs and some old skis. I said I was sad my chairs were leaving and one guy said, "we're taking them fishing," and it made me so happy! ( I figured out he was just saying that later and still didn't care). The also helped me move some things.

so the down side is I can see what is in need of fixing and physically want to fix stuff, but it is over my head so I am frustrated. darn it.

love and courage!

julielarson
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 7:39 AM

Alz I wrote a response to your post earlier this morning but it signed me out and it did not post.. I am so glad you are doing better.. Garage sales are hard because sometimes you get the people and other times no one comes.. Keep at it and I am sure you will get somewhere with it.. I for the first time since moving here will have a garage sale.. We down sized everything before moving here but over the last two years we have collected things and so when they have the park wide sale here I will be having a sale too.. Big hugs honey..
llee08032
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 9:14 AM

Alz,

I was just thinking I should check in with you and here you are! Recovering your abilities...we can recover our abilities. 

People these days don't seem to collect things like we used to. 

Have you tried selling some of the clothing in batches on Ebay? Also should advertise garage sale in local paper. Maybe call some consignment shops that sell clothing and see if they are interested. 

Many years back I rented a table at a flea market and sold only a few things and  had all this stuff left over that I did not want to take back home. I ended up some selling some good things for a $1 and giving away stuff at the end of the day. What I thought would be a fun day turned into a "never again" experience. 

What your doing sounds exhausting. I like the idea of an extra space for art projects. 

So good to hear from you!

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 12:47 PM

Good for you, alz+, in regaining energy and enthusiasm!  Yes, we have to discover our own treatments.  That's what being a Dementia Pioneer is all about!  You are an inspiration for all of us, in your quest for your own treatment and in your encouragements.

Garage and yard sales are exhausting, with questionable results.  I am like you, with much stuff.  I am going to donate, but even that is hard.  A lot will be going into the dumpster.  Sometimes I put a useful item in the alley with a sign marked "free", and a little while later, it is gone.  My focus is on getting things out of my home.

I have the opposite effect from you, now.  I feel slowed down and stunted.  I feel like I have had a major setback.  I am still trying to recover.

Iris L.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 1:11 AM

Gosh and golly, alz+, I am glad you had time to write in; I was about to send out a St. Bernard with a loaded cask to find you . . . .

You are a bundle of energy, so glad that you are up and glowing!  I can hear the energy in your writing.  Talk about taking on a lot of work, you sure got a whole lot done.

Oh those garage sales; hate doing them.  Last one, I had a doozy.  I advertised in a cheap paper and put up big signs, we had crowds of people.  We actually made $900, because there was a ton of stuff including furniture, there was really a LOT of stuff out there.  It covered our garage, our driveway and our inner courtyard and front porch, geeze.  Took forever to price things and get it all ready.  Then we had cleanup.   AAAARGH!

We also had shop-lifters!  I had folks who wanted to buy things, but when the boxes were picked up, they were empty . . . . gr-r-r-r-r!  I did catch one lady who wrapped a set of sheets inside a table cloth she had bought; I caught her going down the driveway and stopped her.  She's just lucky I did not do to her what I was thinking!  Some people . . . .

It was a dreadful job getting everything in place and labeled, we still had stuff left over and I called the Salvation Army as they come out and pick things up on a scheduled day and time.  It was so darned exhausting I decided never, never, ever again; no how.  Thank goodness for the Salvation Army; they were awesome.

Have to say, I really liked the fellow who is taking the chairs fishing . . . . what a lovely guy.

Well; guess I'd better cancel renting that St. Bernard, you have flown in on very busy wings, so all is well.

Hug,

J.

P.S.  Lost the "Bold," and it would not return.  

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 1:56 AM

I helped a friend of mine who did yard sales.  She said she just wanted me there to be on the lookout for shoplifters.  There were many.  It started off as a lark for me, but it became a big chore.  It's a hard way to make money.  

Iris L.

Dawn831
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 10:55 AM

Garage sales are so much work. I've done a bunch and had pretty good results but always swear I'm never doing it again afterwards. So exhausting! I do live in an area that produces a lot of shoppers so a quick ad on Craigslist is pretty much all it takes to get 30-40 buyers to show up. If you are not getting shoppers you may just be hitting a dead end due to your location.  I regularly attend garage sales and auctions and buy lots of stuff that I then sell on Ebay (like you mentioned that you used to do). As you know selling on Ebay is also a ton of work. Especially the shipping. If you have items that you think might sell well on Ebay but just aren't up to doing it yourself you might be able to find someone in your area to do it for you for a percentage. I'm sure they keep a huge percentage but as you know it's hard work. You could have the fun of watching your stuff sell and getting paid without having to deal with the stress of listing and shipping. Another thought, since it sounds like you have mostly clothes and shoes, perhaps a consignment store could take it. Or maybe some of it. Maybe they would send a representative to your house to pick out whatever they feel they could sell and the rest you could donate. I know it's hard to let go of items that you know have value. That's the hardest part for me. I hate to give away something that I feel I could sell but the anxiety I get when I feel my house or garage is cluttered (ugh my garage is a disaster at the moment) is just not worth the stress. After a garage sale I have a pretty strict rule that stuff that has left my garage can't come back, so off to the goodwill or church thrift shop it goes. I think letting go feels so good.

So glad to hear you are doing well. I miss your posts when you are off line for a while but see the pattern that it usually means you are doing pretty well and keeping busy with other things. You are such an encouragement for other members struggling to figure out how to handle living with this illness. 

× Close Menu