Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
A4 Study, is anyone taking part?
pabrocjb
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 1:36 PM

I am new here, so hello, and please bear with me.  

I've been on the phone and have gotten past a couple of hoops for the A4 study in Boston.  I'm also meeting with a study group in Canada (long story) for an oral drug.

The A4 study is using solanezumab in people who have evidence of amyloid plaque, but are asymptomatic.  I was enthusiastic until I read about less impressive results from similar studies.

Anyone?

https://www.nia.nih.gov/alzheimers/clinical-trials/anti-amyloid-treatment-asymptomatic-alzheimers-disease-a4

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:46 PM

Welcome to our world, pabrocjb.We're so glad you found us.

I'd call your contact person and ask.  There is a new clinical study for one of those drugs that previously failed. It is checking to see if the drug was given in earlier in the process, it would be beneficial.

GRM44
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:22 PM

I volunteered for the A4 study at Georgetown and went through all the screening including the PET scan.  I was rejected ultimately because my amyloid levels did not indicate an elevated risk of developing AD.  Good news for me but not for the study.

I read recently that the study which was scheduled to conclude soon has been extended which must mean they are learning something worthwhile from it.

Gary

× Close Menu