Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
47 yr old male diagnosed with dementia...please help!
Choice215
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 8:52 PM

I received my PET scan report by email just yesterday.....it doesn't sound good at all ....

How would you guys take frontotemporal dicease versus Alzheimer's Disease? 

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 8:45 AM

Hi Choice,

Welcome to our world.We're so glad you found us.

You are diagnosed with FTD?  Tough!!!  Don't know of any meds that help.  Only good thing is that memory is not as impaired as in AD. I think there are many sub-divisions to FTD.

We have some FTD folks on board here, I do hope they chime in.  I'm wondering if you have the behavior variant, is there a way you can control your behavior so you don't hurt those you love as much?

BillBRNC
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 5:10 PM

Choice, sorry about your news. It must have been a big kick in the butt. I think you made a good move by coming here for information and possibly company. I have Dementia with Lewy Bodies, also confirmed by Pet Scan. My scan and neuro-testing showed DLB, but also suggested some mixture of other dementias, one of which might possibly be FTD. I have a huge behavioral issue with my dementia, but that can be the case with DLB or FTD. On the Parkinson side of my DLB, I have some findings that strongly suggest some frontal lobe problems, as did my Pet Scan. So who knows. As for which type of dementia is best to have if you have to have dementia, I don't think there is an answer to that question, as all the forms are terrible and fatal and just plain suck. Give yourself some time to absorb all this bad news, and make sure your doctors are fairly sure, although Pet Scan findings are strong evidence that something is wrong. I've been on the tortured path now for a couple of years, but my problems started many years before the diagnosis. It ain't fun, but it doesn't mean life ends right away. You should have many good years to go, so think about what you can do to make the most of the time you have left as a functioning and with-it person. And come here to get information and understanding and comfort. Good luck. Bill.

× Close Menu