Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Almost total memory loss
Gig Harbor
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:58 AM

My husband is 77 and has been on Aricept since 1/16 and Namenda since 4/16. He had had memory loss for 4-5 years but it was gradual. He started having nightmares at night in 2013 and auditory hallucinations in the fall of 2015. Nightmares and hallucinations stopped once he started taking Aricept. Over the summer his memory for both short and long term has disappeared. More gaps show up everyday. He broke his front teeth 15 years ago and had dental implants done. He completely forgot that event and thought his front teeth were real. He jokes about how everyday is a new day because he does not remember events. His reasoning skills are good and he remembers how to do most things around the house but is hesitant to do any projects. He has no anger issues and admits readily that his memory is terrible. He talked to a new neighbor last week and was asked where he had gone on vacation. He simply said that he did not remember. The neighbor kept saying "you must remember". Finally my husband said "I have memory problems and my memory is shot". The neighbor was embarrassed and will likely limit further contact. My husband was also very embarrassed and sad. I wonder how long we will have at this stage before the behavioral and emotional issues begin. Does anyone have any thought on the timeline based on their personal experiences? TIA.

Crushed
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 11:14 AM

skills went first for DW but memory followed soon after. by 2014 she could not remember where she went to Medical school.  Now she knows my name one day in 4 .  Its a minor miracle if she gets one sock on each foot.  She is 65
annie789
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 7:30 PM

Gig,  Your DH's timeline and my DH's timeline are almost identical.  Memory issues for 4-5 years and finally diagnosed fall of 2015; Nov 2015 given but couldn't tolerate Aricept but then went on Exelon and then in May of 2016 Namenda XR . 

I noticed my husbands memory really getting bad last fall after a few months on the meds.  The meds seemed to help only for a few months.  He has had no hallucinations since starting on the meds but I never connected that maybe the meds helped to get rid of them.  Maybe so. 

He, too, gets so frustrated that he can't remember any new information and wants the Dr to give him some medicine for his memory.  He can't remember that he already takes 2 meds for memory. 

It is quite amazing he can remember some things but usually only things that are very important to him or things he has done for years.  New information usually doesn't stay with him for more than 5 minutes.  This has happened in the last 2-3 months.

Katy sue
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 1:41 PM

Gig, it sounds like his memory is what has been most affected.  With my DH it was memory and executive function. Dx in feb 2016. Since then I've seen some decline in executive function but lots more decline in short term memory and noticeable loss of long term as well. Not remembering birthdays or some specifics about events of the past. Learning anything new is almost impossible. Lots of behavioral issues. Can be both pleasant to be with and unpleasant. I find it helps him if I leave a list of uncomplicated things for him to do during the day. List is usually the same as day before but he thinks it's new! Water flowers, walk the dog, pull weeds.at least he sees something to do and it makes him feel useful and connected. Less emphasis on his own memory loss and decline. He is 61...time will tell the story.

× Close Menu