Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Need a little advice
Lewshu
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:06 AM

Hello, I am new here.  I have a 50 year old sister that I believe has memory problems.   

She repeats things she has told me.  I have given her papers for certain things to fill out and send out, she either fills them out wrong or when I ask her did she send of papers she said "I think so", but found out later she did not.

She forgets where she puts things, and when I asked her where she put something I just given her a few hours ago, she gives me a blank look.  And I have to remind her what I am talking about.  This is just a few examples.

She was an RN for 20+ years.  She got fired from her job a couple years ago.  She had tried to find a job here and there but got fired from them because she couldn't remember things.  She is trying to find another job but I am afraid she might not be able to keep one because of her memory.

She had lived farther away in the past and I have noticed a few times when I was talking to her on the phone about her memory problem, but now that she lives in the same town as me and I see her more often, I see it has gotten worse.

As far as I know there is no one in our family that has had Alzheimer's or dementia

What should I do to help her?  How do I tell her she has memory problems?  

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:41 AM

To me there are so many red flags here that she should be seeing a doctor to be diagnosed. I would also seek legal help for her if she was terminated form her jobs because it was related to a possible health issue. The longer you wait the worst things will be.  You must get the strength to address this head on if you really want to help her.  

Lewshu
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 11:30 AM

Thanks for that little push Michael.  

I have printed off the "Know the 10 Signs"  I will give it to her and try to help her through this.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 11:34 AM

It may not be Alzheimer’s that is why its important to go ASAP. I would also have a list with you of all the issues you have seen as she may not recognize the issue. It is extremely important to get her the help she needs. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:38 PM

Welcome to our world, Lew. We're so glad you fund us.
Just a ditto to Michael's posts.

Look for a good diagnostic center at a nearby University or Large Medical Center.  Go with her.

She may or may not admit here is a problem. Don't argue. Just make the appointment and take her. You may have to wait a few months for an appointment.

Find more by getting from our library Doraiswamy and Gwyther of Duke Univ. : The Alzheimer's Actin Plan

Lewshu
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:17 AM

We do have a good university and a large medical center nearby.  I will check the doctors and hopefully find a good one for her.

If she has Early onset, I will direct her to this message board to maybe help her more.

Thanks for the info.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 12:40 PM

I personally would not start by showing her the 10 warning signs of AD. I would, however, be comfortable telling my sister that I noticed some memory problems and suggest a thorough physical to see what might be causing it like thyroid or B12.

Here is the protocol for diagnosis;

http://alz.org/alzheimers_disease_diagnosis.asp

GHeitzy
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:13 PM

We have experienced EXACTLY what you have gone through with my mom, my father in law, and now with my 63 year old brother in law.  First of all, it may not be dementia or alzheimer's causing this.  But if it is, the sooner she gets diagnosed, the better they can put a treatment plan that slows it down.  There is no cure (as you probably know).  The doctors will tell you that it just keeps progressing.  And it does.  However, my mother was on a great medication plan from her neurologist that the stages moved very very slowly and we enjoyed her so much longer because of that.  If you wait, you are taking time away from you and your sister.  Blame it on a friend who experienced the same thing and they mentioned to you that you should talk with her.  And it if is not dementia or Alzheimer's, you will be relieved and find out what the problem is.  Call a neurologist on her health plan today and get an appointment for a memory consult.  I'll keep you in my prayers.
R&D 1978
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:09 PM

This is soooooooo familiar, and yes, there are many Red Flags here.

My wife is  63 years old and in Stage 5  ALZ.

I monitored my   DW    for     1  1/2  years.  The final push for me was the  "Clock Test" - she just couldn't do it.  Then and there I knew there was a problem.

If you are not familiar with the   "Clock Test"  google it and you will certainly find additional information.

And if she is less than   2   years from her last job, and she had    LTD - Long Term Disability, then she might be entitled to Disability Income.

Check back to this site often - it provides such a great inspiration and is also a great place for information.

All the best !!!!

× Close Menu