Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
neglect and future
rush565
Posted: Monday, January 8, 2018 6:44 PM

Has anyone thought about go after an assisted living facility for the neglect of a LO that ended in hospitalization and death?  Could just be the stress and trauma of the last month talking, but I feel I should pursue something to hold someone accountable. 

Also, lost as to how to proceed without using a lawyer.  Any thoughts out there? 

I want to advocate for her, this disease and others. Too much to digest here on these boards.  How can I continue to help?

BethL
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:05 PM

I would suggest you have a consult with an attorney to see if he/she feels you have a case. Some attorneys will do these consults for free.

Now, I know you said you wanted to do this without an attorney. If you wish to file a lawsuit, I am thinking only one in small claims court would be feasible with no attorney. On the other hand, if you just want to make sure they know they "did wrong" then you can contact the ombudsman, Board of Nursing (if RN/LPN issue) or perhaps even the media.

BethL
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:06 PM

You also should talk with the Director of Nursing and Executive Director of the facility.
rush565
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:06 PM

I forgot about the ombudsman. That's a great idea. No, it's not about any money, it's making a point about the staffing needs and workload and this is where we end up, forgetting the bottom line. This is a business about caring for people and even though there's always a bottom line for a business, that thought should not be lost in the numbers game.
rush565
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:07 PM

Yes I am trying to find the regional nurse. Hoping to connect with her asap.
rush565
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:34 PM

Yes I am trying to find the regional nurse. Hoping to connect with her asap.

× Close Menu