Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Time For Me
TopStep7
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 8:54 PM

Hey Everyone,

I am not sure if this is an appropriate post for this board ... but I'll give it a shot and see.  I am currently back at home caring for my Mom who was diagnosed with ALZ-Type Dementia.  I do most of the care-giving myself, though my father does help out some and I have outside agencies a couple times a week helping out as well.

I am single and gay.  My parents are straight and 'old school'.  That's fine.  My problem is I don't have much time to myself.  And when I am able to get out of the house ... it is usually for a personal medical appointment or to do something for Mom or that benefits the house in some way.  I haven't given up on finding someone ... but it's just not realistic having that as my focus right now ... or even a priority.

I would like to hear from other younger, gay guys who may have found themselves in the same position ... single, caring for someone with a memory challenge and no time to explore our community for companionship.  Perhaps we could become an on-line support for each other.

Thanks for reading this and passing it along if you know someone who may be interested.

~Stephen

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:58 PM

Hello Stephen, while I do not fit the parameters you are wishing to have as contacts here, I want to extend a very warm welcome to you.

Hopefully, there will be others who will come along soon who are in the same situation as you are.

You are a loving and compassionate son who is doing his very best to care for his parents under difficult circumstances; they are blessed to have your care and advocacy.

If you do run into any caregiving issues, please feel free to go to the Caregivers Forum; there are many folks there who care for parents and we all share our experiences and often, solutions to problems; you will find much kind support there.

J.

× Close Menu