Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
dementia by definition might be wrong
alz+
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 6:10 AM

Alzheimer's & Dementia

"The word dementia means deprived of mind. It is a catchall term that covers memory loss, confusion, changes in personality, a decline in thinking skills, and dwindling ability to perform everyday activities."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/topics/alzheimers-and-dementia

I am having some health problems other than Alzheimer's and want to get out last messages.

Mind and brain are not one thing. Memory loss and the idea we are "deprived of mind" I think poisons the well.

If we actually lost our memories they could not suddenly be recalled when given CBD or at end of life. We lose the ability to speak our thoughts fast enough for people to listen and like any other terminal illness when we are so weakened we can not speak.

Naming this illness "the loss of mind" poisons the ability to find a treatment or cure. It makes people dismiss you, disregard your wishes and needs and ability to be helpful to others.

Reject the medical views of becoming a zero, a burden to the planet. Every living thing dies, death is essential to life. I wish people would come up with a new name for problems in thinking and collating information.

I love you all so much. Thank you for all the help over the years. I hope to be able to offer insight in my disease as it progresses but if I can not I know others will challenge the medical world and we will unravel the cause and find treatments that work.

this is not the worst disease ever, all terminal experiences have good and bad elements. we are going to help find the answers if we just keep questioning.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 6:29 PM

I agree totally.  We have to be Pioneers in figuring out what works for each of us.  We are not all the same, and there should be no competition.

Iris L.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 11:39 PM

You are a wise, brave soul alz+.  I know that you are prepared for wherever things may go, even if most of the rest of us are not. 

I firmly believe as well that memories are not lost, that the mind is not erased, that the person does not disappear in dementia.  No doubt some parts of the brain are damaged, but people can regain some of their memories with various treatments.  Alzheimer's organizations and scientists have created their own reality, their own narrative about this disease that is to put it mildly not beneficial to either caregivers or to people with dementia.  It is such an entrenched perspective that it seems nearly impossible to combat.

I hope that goodbye does not come for a long time to come, but thank you for the encouragement and love that you have so freely given here.  

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:01 AM

I do not remember posting this message topic but glad I did. HA!

Is the mind located inside the brain? No one knows. 

We lose muscle mass if we don't use our bodies, maybe we lose brain tissue if we don't think new thoughts. 

I can report from the field that when I do not have cbd oil for a couple days "I can not speak" - can not gather the ideas floating by and hang onto them and then use spoken language.

I have experimented with no oil for a couple days to see if I was cured and no longer had to shell out the dough for more. Cheap still! 

No I was not cured. Yet! It will be a stubborn obnoxious person who finds the way out of this!

Here is what happens to me: the ideas float around, and word selections become floaty things I can not grab fast enough and bring to speech, too much work to bother. It feels like exercise, tiring me quickly so I give up trying. 

Even with Keeper remaining silent while I search for correct words to use. Like being in a huge fabric store and going around feeling every yard to see if it is right. Then I give up and quit responding.

Somehow dogs seem to be able to communicate with us and for us because they do not use word language. Then I got back on oil and can talk again within 15 minutes (used to be 5 minutes).

therefore I believe NOT SPEAKING is a fuel issue and none of us have to go thru that or fear going thru it if we have access to proper meds.

× Close Menu