Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Sundowners
Valeriewilson
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:32 AM

IM new here. Need suggestions for dealing with sundowners. My mom wanders around her apartment bldg very late at night "searching" for my sister who lives miles away.
Marta
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:48 AM

Hello Valerie Wilson - you would get more replies to your question if you posted on the Caregivers Board:  click on Discussion Board - it is the first board listed.  You can also search previous posts for sundowning.
BBryant04
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 9:56 AM

New here also - My mother-in-law has Alzheimer's - my father-in-law is her primary caregiver.  Our primary behavior issue at this moment is that in the evenings she may "forget" that her husband IS her husband, and not some stranger trying to get her to go to bed.  Last night at 11:30 my father-in-law called and had my husband (Keith, their oldest son) try to convince her that he was, in fact, her husband.  After about 10 minutes of him trying to convince her, she got mad and hung up.  This morning she was fine.  She may have mild memories of "some strange person being at the house", but she fully recognizes her husband, and everything is back to normal (as normal as it is these days).  Anyone have any suggestions of what to do in the evenings?  Or how to redirect her if she is adamant about this strange man being in her house? 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! 

As an aside, my mother passed away two years ago from Alzheimer's, my grandmother and at least two of her sisters also had it.  Keith's mother now has it, his grandmother had it as well.  

× Close Menu