Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
non-weightbearing and Alzheimers
rmgh
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:30 PM

My 87 year old father broke his pelvis in 5 places, a month ago in a fall.  He has ALZ and doesn't remember that he isn't suppose to step on his left leg.  The nursing home had him on so many drugs that he was a zombie, so we moved him back to his assisted living room where he would feel comfortable and took him off 1/2 of his pain/mood meds.  It helped him with communication and eating but he gets so very angry when anyone tries to help him transfer because he "can do it himself".  He tries to walk to the bathroom so we have hired a sitter to stay with him overnight. 

My suggestion was to put a cast or splint on his leg to remind him that he is non-weightbearing.  That was denied because it is "a restraint".  

Any other suggestions?

MPSunshine
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:19 AM

Given the situation, I would ask your dad's doctors again after describing the situation in detail. Sometimes when the medics are pressed for solutions they can be very creative. Perhaps they have a kind of boot that could remind your dad about not bearing weight on the left leg. If the medics prescribe it and it is required for healing to occur, then it is not a restraint per se.
TessC
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:05 PM

Who denied the option you suggested as a restraint? The federal govt? The state? The nursing home? You can take it up higher if you think this might help your father. It probably won't help but you should have the right to try it since it is NOT a true restraint. After all, he could still walk-it is just to remind him not to walk. Good luck!
Here again
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:28 PM

I would recommend going back to the surgeon with your concern.  The doctor can put a cast on and possibly recommend he be transferred to a Rehabilitation Center.

Him having a cast is not the call of the Assisted Living Center, that is the surgeons call.

Pathfinder52
Posted: Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:18 PM

A cast is a bad idea (sorry).  Terrible ulcers can occur under a cast (even when it is necessary) especially when you have a patient who doesn't understand why he's in a cast, and probably can't tell you if the cast is uncomfortable or putting pressure on skin and bone. 

I worked too many years in an orthopedic hospital to think this is a good idea.

What might work is a weighted blanket (expensive, but might be covered as durable medical equipment)  -- this he'd likely need help (from the aide) to remove it and get up.  

I doubt if the surgeon will have useful ideas (sorry); surgeons are good at surgery, not necessarily anything else -- especially dementia.  Ask the nurse in his Assisted Living to help you problem-solve through this (she and her team may have some good ideas).

You might also consider a condom catheter (allows him to pee without getting up at night) and avoids a Foley catheter (inserted into the bladder) -- he'd still need reminders not to get up and try to walk.  But it might make the night aide's job easier.

Consider other options.  Restraints are serious business -- there are state and federal regulations if he's in a facility of any kind. Also, restraints have a track-record for creating additional injury.

Hoping you find some creative and helpful solutions.

--p

× Close Menu