Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Navigating NH Care
Karen in Cleveland
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 2:30 PM

My LO just transitioned to a NH from independent living.  I thought my troubles would be over.  Ha! 

She is very high functioning - she can tell me who came to visit over the past week, who she spoke to on the telephone, the activities in which she participated.  She makes her bed, dresses herself and attends to her personal hygiene, etc.

The biggest issue is that she is does not/cannot communicate her needs, or if she does, its after the fact or causes big inconveniences.  

Example:   Yesterday, I sat on her bed while putting a longer cord on her telephone. When I got up, I noted that I was wet.  Even though the comforter was dry, everything underneath was wet.  So I go to ask for a bed change which is accommodated quickly.  So then I end up having to bring her blankets and comforter home to be laundered because if surrendered to the NH laundry, would not be returned for 2-3 days.   During this flurry of activity, she asked me how much the adult diapers cost, and I told her (again) that there is no cost for them and that whenever she needs more, just ask one of the staff members.  It didn't dawn on me until after I got home that she was out of the diapers and that was the reason the bed was wet!

The Physical Therapist has also mentioned to me that she needs more attention than what she is currently receiving. 

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 2:39 PM

NH or Al or MC?
Karen in Cleveland
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 3:32 PM

She is in a nursing home with memory care.
LDDaughter
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 3:52 PM

I'm assuming the staff know she is incontinent because she's able to get the adult diapers. If that's the case I'd have a conversation with the nurse supervisor of the daytime nurse assigned to your mom and inquire about putting your mom on a toiling schedule.  This should be a standard procedure available to all residents.  They may be fooled by the fact that she is high functioning and think she needs less attention.  I think most long term residents are going to have incontinence issues- some more than others, but getting on a schedule is essential for her. 
Also explain that your mom needs help with her bed being made and what happened with her sheets!   You may need to retrain your mom to not make the bed- you could explain to her that it's like being in a hotel and that is something she doesn't have to do.

Pam14
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 8:29 PM

I agree about a consultation for your mom, but after having my dad and then my sister in skilled nursing, I think you need more than the supervising nurse.  You need to request a Care Plan Meeting and then have all your ducks in a row.  Make sure you make notes of what you've observed & what your mom needs help with.  By having a Care Plan Meeting it gets more people involved & aware of the situation.  I found having POA of a LO in a nursing home was practically a full-time job.  You have to stay on top of everything with them.  Good luck to you and let us know how this goes.

× Close Menu