Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.

Site Maintenance Completed.   Click here for details.

RSS Feed Print
Hospice in the NH?
lilww
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 7:07 PM

We are considering hospice care for my 93 year old mother who is a resident of a nursing home in the dementia unit. After surgery for a broken hip last month she has steadily declined. She eats and drinks very little, weight has dropped from 108 to 93 lbs. and she is mostly non-verbal. She doesn't appear to have much pain, but still strongly resists personal care. The staff is very good with her but I realize they have 21 other patients to care for also. At this point we have discontinued all meds and treatments except those that give her comfort. I guess I don't really understand what the role of Hospice is in this setting.
jfkoc
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 7:34 PM

Hospice, one you have interviewed and chosen, can be a great support for you and they are an extra pair of eyes and hands looking after your mother.

They will also help you with the logistics of things that are the result of a death.

lilww
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 8:14 PM

I guess I'm asking if they do any hands on care in the NH, or are more of a support system. As far as choice, I only have one. We live in a mostly rural area, and the only hospice is through our local health system. I have heard good things about them though.
Caregiver108
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 8:19 PM

Hospice is a great option in a nursing home setting!  I worked as an aide in a nursing home for several years and there just isn't enough time in the day to spend with each patient.   I am now a home hospice aide.   With hospice the patient will get a little more tlc, many extra eyes on them and the family gets a ton of support from aides, nurses, social workers, and Chaplin's.  I have many patients that don't love getting cares done for them but we completely understand that! we do all that we can for the patient regardless of behaviors. 

sounds to me that you loved one would definitely qualify for hospice care.  First a physician needs to make an order for hospice and there will be an evaluation to make sure the patient qualifies.  Then it can be an overwhelming process of nurse meetings and social worker visits but in the end it is worth it!  Everyone is there to support you. 

Eileen72
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 8:32 PM

I have dealt with Hospice several times.  The one I dealt with did provide 2 hrs/day of care, bathing, changing, brought in an special moving air mattress, meds , adult diapers, massage therapy, music therapy, counseling and social workers for the family. They met with us first and explained their services ( they were fully covered by Medicare).  Look and see if your Hospice has a web site.  Their services for nursing home care are often listed there.  I found both experiences although difficult, to be positive for my DF and my Mil.  

As the end neared for my Dad, we felt he was in pain.  They agreed and provided pain meds to ease his transition.  They helped immensely after he passed. 

Just contact them and they will explain what they can and will do. 

Pam14
Posted: Friday, February 9, 2018 9:02 PM

I had my sister, who was in skilled nursing, on hospice and it was absolutely wonderful.  Her hospice nurse came twice a week, the hospice aide came twice a week, the chaplain came once & week & then she got visits from the massage therapist, the music therapist, a social worker & a volunteer couple.  Not only is it more eyes & ears on your loved one, it really can provide much more comfort.  Being that it is covered by Medicare, hospice is also able to get more special equipment needed for comfort, i.e., special wheelchairs, mattresses, etc.  Also, when my sister got down to her last week of life, her nurse was there daily, as were many others in the hospice staff.  Not only was the nurse there when my sister passed away, but the grief counselor & chaplain were there, too.  I can't say enough good things about the wonderful benefits of a good hospice organization.  Check out yours for the benefits they provide.  You can put your mom on hospice; and then if you're not satisfied, you can always take her off at any time.
King Boo
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 8:36 AM

Here is a link to a past discussion:

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?tid=2147539346&g=posts&t=2147537435

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:35 AM

Hospice does more than hands on for  the PWD too.

× Close Menu