Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Being funny. It's a risky business.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:58 PM

Sure, I poke fun. When maybe I shouldn’t. I like to laugh. At myself. And at others, too. Maybe my biggest mistake. Is poking fun at people. In no mood to laugh. I catch them at the wrong time. Or their sense of humor. Doesn’t jibe with mine. Humor is a funny thing. Especially when aimed at serious people at serious times. At a funeral, for instance. Sometimes it works. Other times it doesn’t. In a roomful of people, if I get up on stage, and start telling jokes. Some will laugh. Others might jeer. Or look at me with scorn. It’s risky business. Exploiting the funny side of life. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:23 PM

As an active care-giver, I learned to laugh. It was one of my favorite forms of respite. Late in the evening. Watching comedians. And their take on the funny side of life. I came to musings,  too. Instead of the care-givers forum. To ponder. On almost any subject but care-giving. Worked wonders. Prepared me for another day of care-giving. Relaxed. Refreshed. Rejuvenated. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:36 PM

I see too many care-givers. Too absorbed. In care-giving. They need to lighten up. To find reason to laugh. A guffaw or two a day, keeps the blues away. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:41 PM

I laugh at people who refuse to laugh. Can't help it. They're darn funny. Downright hilarious. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:42 PM

I was born to laugh and love. In that order. Tell me, do I have my priorities mixed up? --Jim
chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:33 PM

There's nothing wrong with laughing and loving, Jim, but it does sound as if you might be trying to force humor on people who, for one reason or another, aren't in a position to see anything funny about the situation they're facing. There is a time for laughing, and a time to refrain from it.
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:33 AM

As usual, Chrisp. You are a wise man. Reminding me. That kindness and empathy. Should come ahead of the joke. I wonder if Jesus had a sense of humor. If he told jokes. With the intent of making people laugh. Maybe at the dinner table.  Over a glass of wine. Did he ever sing? Or dance? Just let himself be very, very human? Did he ever do stuff he later regretted? Ah, so many questions. That’ a nice thing about life. More questions than answers. Maybe that’s the way it should be. A constant search. For answers. Amidst a sometimes turbulent world. Yes. I need humor in my life. In order to cope. In the toughest of times. I wonder if I’ll die laughing. There are worse ways to go. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:53 AM

Norman Cousins, the political journalist and author, was diagnosed in 1964 with a rare disease. And given only a few months to live. So he decided to die laughing. Watching videos of his favorite comics. He immersed himself in humor, in laughter. On a daily basis. Lo and  behold, Cousins lived for another 26 years. Until 1990.  He later lectured (I attended one, in Arizona) and  claimed that laughter saved his life. No joke. I believe it. Cousins said, ‘Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.’ --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:19 AM

Patch Adams
TiggerPooh
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:49 AM

Being serious and sincere, even riskier.

× Close Menu