Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
CBD oil trial
Gig Harbor
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 12:09 AM

My husband is starting a CBD oil trial tonight. He has been on Aricept and Namenda for two years. His behavior is fine but his memory is disappearing quickly. He does not remember conversations and will forget where we are going within two minutes of getting in the car. He is fine walking in our town but he no longer wants to drive because he knows he will get lost. He is frustrated by his failing memory but remains upbeat and positive. His mother had AD and his older sister has it as well. He is also starting to lose his long term memory and now spends time trying to bring back those memories. We live in a state where marijuana is legal and found a grower who produces his own oil. At this point he has nothing to lose and just maybe his memory will improve or at least stabilize. If neither of those things happen maybe his sleep will improve. It will be interesting to see what happens. We were told it will be two weeks before he notices changes at which time he will increase his dose. I hope we have something positive to report.
rvgrandma8
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 12:32 AM

Another online group I belong to, the guy gave THC to his wife for behavior problems which it did seem to help. It also is used to increase appetite. CBD is legal in all 50 states since it does not include THC which is the one that can make you high. A neighbor uses the CBD for her fibromyalgia pain. 

Keep us up to date on how things go. 

leahQ
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:03 AM

My DH never seemed to benefit from the standard Alzheimer’s meds and the side effects were unpleasant.  Now that my DH is in the final stages, the medications that he takes reduce anxiety and help him sleep. I believe that CBD oil would help him (with fewer side effects) but we don’t live in a state where it’s legal, and he’s lives in MC.   Interestingly, our dog developed epilepsy and her seizures were frequent and intense. A friend (who lives in a neighboring state where MJ is legal) gave me some CBD tincture (high CBD, very low THC) to try on my dog. I was skeptical but her seizures have dramatically abated.

Regarding the post about it being legal in every state isn’t true in my experience. Also, CBD oil derived from marijuana (as compared to hemp) with at least some THC is the gold standard because of the “entourage effect.”

I hope the CBD oil provides relief to your husband l. If it was an option for my DH, I wouldn’t hesitate to try it - anything to ease the journey is welcome.

Dahlke
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:59 AM

Tried the edibles with my spouse as some caregiving spouses reported  good results.  They shared  that it calmed them down and  decreased anxiety.

It did not seem to make alot of difference for him, so after a month of trial I discontinued it. (He was in stage 5-6 at that point of this journey. 

Felt it was definately worth a try. Keep us posted.

Dahlke (Cythia)

rvgrandma8
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:02 PM

If the THC content is less than .3% then it is legal. It may not be sold in all states, but you can order it online.  hemp, cannabis, marijuana (slang term)… they’re from the exact same plant species – Cannabis sativa.  If it has a higher content than .3% then it is classified as from hemp. Over .3% THC then marijuana. It is confusing but as more people find the benefits of CBD it will become more clear. 

leahQ wrote:

My DH never seemed to benefit from the standard Alzheimer’s meds and the side effects were unpleasant.  Now that my DH is in the final stages, the medications that he takes reduce anxiety and help him sleep. I believe that CBD oil would help him (with fewer side effects) but we don’t live in a state where it’s legal, and he’s lives in MC.   Interestingly, our dog developed epilepsy and her seizures were frequent and intense. A friend (who lives in a neighboring state where MJ is legal) gave me some CBD tincture (high CBD, very low THC) to try on my dog. I was skeptical but her seizures have dramatically abated.

Regarding the post about it being legal in every state isn’t true in my experience. Also, CBD oil derived from marijuana (as compared to hemp) with at least some THC is the gold standard because of the “entourage effect.”

I hope the CBD oil provides relief to your husband l. If it was an option for my DH, I wouldn’t hesitate to try it - anything to ease the journey is welcome.

surfergirl
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:20 PM

Opinion only cannabis should be legal in all 50 states , most people I think feel that way, simple, if you don't like it don't use it.Give people the choice though.Lots of people swear it helps many conditions.
All I can say is "vote"

Surfergirl
Blondie49
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 9:06 AM

In the beginning of our Alz journey, we tried CBD oil.  It was pure CBD oil mixed with about 1% of THC.  I was told you need a little THC to make the CBD more effective.  I can remember very well the results.

He vaped for awhile and really enjoyed it.  He has Parkinsons with Lewy Body also so it really helped the shaking.  He also has AZ.  

After he smoked, he was very calm and not shaking which was great for him.  He could actually drink coffee without spilling it.  But,, in my opinion, it did nothing for the Alz.  

He vaped for as long as he could.  What I mean by that is, after awhile he wasn't capable of vaping.  He forgot how.  I would put the vaporizer to his lips and he couldn't remember how to inhale.  so that was the end of that.

We didn't have much luck with the edibles.  He isn't agitated or aggressive so when he would take even a small amount it would just knock him out.  We discontinued.

If he could still vape,  I would be giving it to him.  It did nothing to stop the ALZ from progressing.

Blondie

feudman
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 3:30 PM

I was corrected on a different site for using the "legal" word, because of federal laws. Regardless of THC content, sellers were warned by the FDA to be careful how they advertise their products*. Also, federal law prohibits interstate sales with hefty penalties. But aside from these laws (which may never be enforced, but Jeff Sessions is currently the one who decides that), most buyers of the allegedly legal hemp-based products report they showed little to no benefit or effect, so buyers beware. Wonder what Consumer Reports would uncover if they analyzed these products?

If you want to try CBD oil, go for the medical grade. (JMHO.)

*Even hemp derived products become illegal when advertised as an ingestible medicine.  

Gig Harbor
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 4:54 PM

We were told that it would be approximately two weeks before we noticed a change. He has taken it for 5 nights. On the 8th night he is to increase the amount slightly. I feel he is sharper. I asked him if he feels less confused at times and he said he was not sure but he has not mentioned feeling confused. He also tackled and finished some yard projects without me mentioning them. On the other hand he asked why he was having to have eye drops put in his eyes 4 times a day. He totally does not remember having cataract surgery 10 days ago. He is also sleeping better at night. So far it seems helpful.
rvgrandma8
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 5:30 PM

Good to hear. When I asked my husband's neurologist about trying supplements her reply was: it can't hurt because none of the medicine we have works. So try what we want because they are dying anyway. Who knows maybe people trying alternatives someday may find something that actually helps and is long lasting. 

Marinol is a prescription derivative from marijuana. A lady I know ran out of options to get her husband to eat. It was a last resort as she was one that would do anything to hang onto her husband. It increased his appetite and also his cognitive functioning. He went from someone that was basically in the last stages who now could say a few words, smile and react. She was happy with the improvement. I think this last well over a year. So we never know. 

Gig Harbor wrote:
We were told that it would be approximately two weeks before we noticed a change. He has taken it for 5 nights. On the 8th night he is to increase the amount slightly. I feel he is sharper. I asked him if he feels less confused at times and he said he was not sure but he has not mentioned feeling confused. He also tackled and finished some yard projects without me mentioning them. On the other hand he asked why he was having to have eye drops put in his eyes 4 times a day. He totally does not remember having cataract surgery 10 days ago. He is also sleeping better at night. So far it seems helpful.

feudman
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 8:04 PM

rvgrandma8 wrote:

Marinol is a prescription derivative from marijuana. 

Actually, Marinol is a purely synthetic (chemically derived) THC containing a single cannabinoid. No part of it is derived  from the plant, & that's why its a class III (not a class I like CBD oil) drug, hence insurance will pay for it. However, most patients who have used both say the natural CBD derived from the plant is much more effective and better tolerated. But some folks currently have access only to Marinol. Certainly worth a try, as rvgrandma says. 

Gig Harbor
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 12:09 PM

UPDATE:  

Day 8: fed,the dog today without being asked and remembered the amount needed of both the wet and dry food.  Previously he would feed her but asked many times how to do it. He also took the garbage and recycle out to the curb without difficulty when I asked him to do it. He had needed guidance last week.

Short term memory has not improved at all. He was able to orient himself on a drive yesterday and was more interactive during our conversations. I feel like we have stepped back in time in some areas but not in all. He increases his dose tonight so it will be interesting to see if there are more changes next week.

JJAz
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:41 PM

Thanks so much for the update.  I'm curious about this and will look forward to your further updates.  Can you tell us what dose you started with and what dose is next?  Thanks so much.

Jamie

Gig Harbor
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:20 PM

We bought the product from a man who grows and processes the oil. It is actually very thick and sticky and not an oil. It comes in a 1cc tuberculin syringe and he takes a very small dab of it under his tongue each night. In one week the amount missing from the syringe is almost not noticeable. In 6 weeks he will be taking an amount the size of a grain of rice. Since this is not from a commercial store I am not sure of the dose. I will find out specifics when I talk to the person in a couple of weeks. I am almost a nonbeliever in marijuana  so the change has to be significant to make me want to continue with this. So far it is.
scroungehound
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 5:03 PM

From what I could find Marinol is a man made type of cannabis. It is by script only like you said. They use it for people that get cancer treatments to keep them from getting upset stomachs.

I have copd and I use the CBD oil to help with that. Many people that have copd use it to help with depression and anxiety. It really does help I take 1500 mg. in the vape each day and I can tell a big difference. I can see why those that have alsheimers or dementia would get a lot of benefits from the CBD oil. There is a difference between CBD and hemp oil just be sure to buy the CBD oil not hemp.

vtocci327
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 4:56 PM

I am VERY interested to know how things are going on the CBD oil.  I have just begun to investigate it for my DH.  I have been told to begin with 30mg twice a day.  Another website told me 50mg twice a day.  It's quite pricey, but I feel that anything that helps him with his anxiety would be worth a try.  

Please respond and let us know how it's going.

Thank you!

Crushed
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 5:31 PM

FWIW this is not any kind of scientific study.

Ed1937
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 7:41 PM

This is interesting, to say the least. Is there a chance there will be an interaction with meds? And do  you have to be careful which website you order from? I think this would be a major concern.

× Close Menu