Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Bed wetting and peeing in the kitchen
BethanyG
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 12:56 AM

My dad is somewhere in stage 6 Alzheimer's, he just turned 82. He was diagnosed when he was 77. A few months ago the bed wetting at night slowly started to occur. Now it's every single night. We've restricted evening fluids and removed caffeine from his diet weeks ago. He outright refuses and denies the urge whenever we try to prompt him to use the toilet. He wears Depends and we use pee pads on the bed. The mattress has a water proof cover. He soaks through the Depends and it's always a hassle to get him to change, even though he says he's uncomfortable. The past week he's peed on the kitchen floor twice. He saw his urologist after the 1st incident and he doesn't have an infection. From where he pees the bathroom is 3 steps away. My sister ordered a bedside commode to see if that will help. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions with this issue?
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:55 AM

there were many accidents everywhere. We did bounty napkins and mopping most of the time. The bed room carpet was completely covered with carpet covering/plastic. The kind you use when painting a room. The carpet may be removed when all this is over. We would watch when he appeared to get ready to pee and immediately direct and try to position his body to aim at the right location telling him where to pee. A lot of times he would pee in trash bins or flower pots. I realized that placing trash bins at certain locations would help sometimes. I locked rooms where I didn't want him entering. We had to remove many things. Now that he's bed bound, we are able to put furniture back in place and open rooms again. At night every once and I while I would get lucky in waking him up at certain hours and directing him to toilet before peeing on bed or bedroom floor. I didn't have too much trouble changing his depends but if I couldn't direct him, I would just change him anywhere he was while I talked about other things so he wouldn't notice as much.
Stephanie Z
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:52 AM

Hi, Try toileting him every 2 or 3 hours depending on how frequently he urinates. Getting him on a schedule an decreasing his after dinner fluids a bit, can keep your floors clean and prevent the embarrassment of changing him. Depending on how independent he is, simply suggesting it is time to use the bathroom may be enough. If not, you may have to take him.

Stephanie Z

Nanskeeper
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 12:36 PM

Hi Bethany.  My MIL has started peeing in her rocking chair during the night.  I have covered the seat cushion with heavy plastic and wrap it in a large bath towel/sheet.  I have also covered her sofa and living room chair cushions with plastic.  She had one incident peeing in the living room chair at night.  Since then, before I go to bed, I push the chair and coffee table against the sofa blocking access to most of the seating area.  She had several area rugs in her little apartment which we had to throw out as she dribbles or pees before she gets to the bathroom or the rocking chair.  Sometimes she doesn't recognize what the toilet is.  She doesn't regularly wear Depends as she takes them off in her bedroom and then dribbles and pees all the way to her preferred area of urination. I usually find the Depends, dry on the floor, while her bathroom floor, chair or bed are soaked.  We keep a mop and bucket handy along with pet stain spray.  Lately I'm washing her bedding every day.  I have 2 large washable bed pads which saves the bottom sheet but the top sheet and sometimes the blankets are reeking with urine from her wet nightie.   I tried getting up with her but I was so tired I could hardly function the next day. So now I have decided to let her do her thing at night and I'll clean up in the morning.  During the day she can go hours without peeing but I do have to prompt her to go or else she has an accident.  

When she does have an accident on the floor she is aware of it at the time and sometimes tries to clean up.  She used the coffee table runner one night and often tries to mop up with her underwear or a towel which she then throws in the garbage.  So one of my morning rituals is going through the kitchen garbage can looking for underwear and towels!  Ha, ha.  On a bright note for her, by morning she has no recollection of peeing in nontraditional areas of the house and is adamant that someone else did it.  Mostly she just thinks I'm keeping her floors really nice and clean.

JJAz
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 2:54 PM

You probably need to upgrade his Depends to something like Abena Abri-Flex.  Their capacity is almost double Depends capacity.

The problem with peeing in various parts of the house is common.  I follow my DH anytime he gets up from his chair to prevent it.  Another way to avoid it is to dress him in anti-strip clothing.  This keeps him from peeing around the house, but will require additional work in changing the Depends.

Women are used to using a toilet whenever one is available .  My DH has always (45 years) said that he can't pee unless he feels the urge.  I think it's a guy thing.  However, as his disease has progressed, he has been willing to sit on the toilet as a "favor" to me.  And he "goes" about half of the time.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:42 PM

Caution:  Urine on the floor can be a slip and fall hazard.    This is especially hazardous when the PWD is drowsy and the lights are low during the night.

Iris L.

BethanyG
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:22 AM

I'm going to look into AbriFlex. We just set up the commode, so we'll see how tonight goes. We're just not sure what else to do. We're lucky so far that he usually only has accidents at night. Very rare for it to happen during the day. 

When we prompt him he refuses every time. He always says he doesn't have to go. During the day he's good at looking for the bathroom and using the toilet. We've tried different wordings/phrases but we can't get him to try when prompted.

leilani
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:31 PM

BethanyG.

When my LO is in this stage, I'll get adaptive clothing for incontinence. Probably jumpers where she isn't able to take it off, or get at her attends. Definitely, the carpets will come up, or plastic covering. I'll also restrict her movements inside the house. She is still able to go to the bathroom by herself, but has terrible bathroom habits. Reuses toilet paper, that type of stuff. I know what is coming around the corner, so I'm prepared.

I've learned so much on this message board.

Hugs

Jessica40
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 5:49 PM

Regarding peeing through the Depends, change over to Tranquility brand diapers.  My mom has worn Depends for a while and lately they've been leaking through at night.  I even put her in a smaller size and it didn't help so I purchased on Amazon the Tranquility Premium Overnight and she hasn't leaked yet.   Good Luck!

× Close Menu