Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
new AD caregiver seeks advice
southernmaiden
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:06 AM

im a new caregiver and Ive been caring for a man for nearly 4 months now.  hes had alzhiemers for 3 year... 

i keep a log journal of his activities, how he feels, blood pressure, bowels, etc.  and every week its differant. he changes.

\\

abou 3 weeks ago is when he first started not eating or dinking as  much.  this week he wont eat at all on some days and i hve to feed him, and some times  a happy plate.  hes lost alot of weight, so much that his diaper wont stay on him anymore and his ribs and spine are showing and his face is so thin and sunken in.  for 3 days/nights hepaced and wandered and walked constantly.  he sit down for a few seconds and get up and go again.  he wouldnt sit still and he wouldnt sleep. its like he was fighting his sleep: and sleep walking, total zombie trance, lathargic if you wil, in the mind and behavior set of a toddler.  {hes never been like this since ive been with him}.  hell just stand in one spot just staring at nothing, talking to nobody.  hes afraid all the time and never wants me to let go of his hand. i have to help him sit down,  {he fell yesterday morning}.  but tht didnt stop him from pacing non stop.  sleeping aids dont work  anymore, they gin him up it seems.  he doesnt know anything.  he doesnt pee in the toilet or the floor any more, he doesnt even fight me when i change his stoma or his clothhes anymore.

finally last night he slept roughly 6 hours.  and was up at 3am this morning and same thing .  

as i said, im a new caregiver or an alzhiemers patient..  and idk what to do anymore.  is my patient dting and in his final stages?  or is this just a stage?  how long will it last?

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2018 2:35 PM

DEAR SOUTHERN MAIDEN,

WELCOME TOOUR WORLD.  I'M SGLAD YOU FOUND US.

THE CAREGIVERS SECTION WILL BETTER FIT YOUR NEEDS.

CAN YOU WATER THE ALCOHOL DOWN?

ID HE SEEING A NEUROLOGIST WHO SPECIALIZES IN DEMENTIA?

DO CHECK OUT THE SOUUTIONS SECTION ABOV E.

× Close Menu