Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
A FATHER MOURNS HIS DAUGHTER
George K
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 10:45 AM

April 11, 2018   by Joel Jongkind 

On the morning of the 27th of January, I woke up early, and I was teary-eyed. I had been dreaming about the birth of our first child, stillborn on January 29th, 1957. I think about her quite often, and certainly around that time of the year. I think about how different it would have been if we had raised four children instead of three. I think about our living children having another sister, and their children having another aunt. Things would have been so different. At times, it makes me sad, and obviously, even after all these many years, it is still on my mind. I was filled with a feeling of sorrow and sadness that morning.

On the 28th, I was to lead a church service in a small town where I go at least once a month. Their service is at 11:15 a.m., so we have lots of time to prepare for the trip to that place. Early that morning at about 7:00 a.m., one of our grandsons called up to tell us that his wife had given birth to their first child, a little girl, in the hospital in Owen Sound. As the hospital was practically on the way to my preaching engagement, and as we had lots of time, we decided to stop by and have a look at the little girl. As soon as I saw her, my anxiety about the 29th was pushed into the background of my very being, and my sadness was turned to joy. Mind you, the little girl can never replace the one that we lost — our daughters and granddaughters did not either — but seeing that little child, mere hours after she was born, was good for both of us.

At the time of the birth of our little girl, I did not know what passage to read. I let the Bible fall open where it might, and there was the passage which has become a favourite, and the verse that I quote quite often:

Psalm 46:1 – God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (NKJV)

Later, after we had seen the new little baby, my wife commented on the fact that we had not experienced anything but sadness when our first child was born. She never did see her, and I only saw her in her little casket. We talked about how much we had missed, and we were sad.

But we experienced great joy on that morning in the hospital and later at church. We know that we have been blessed indeed. The following verse came to mind, which we can all apply in such situations:

Psalm 42:11 – Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God. (NKJV)

Prayer: Our Father in heaven, we pray for all those who sorrow the loss of a child. We know through faith that You are with us and that You do comfort us, even during times when we are distraught about events of the past. We thank You, in Jesus' name. Amen. 

× Close Menu