Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
How is everyone doing?
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 3:10 PM

There have been a few new members in the last month or so.  I wonder how you are all doing?  

Please feel free to begin your own threads if you have questions or concerns.  Go to the main "Younger Onset AD" board and click on the green tab "Add Topic".  Write your subject title, then write your message.  Then click "Post" and wait a few seconds for the computer to respond.  

The message board is a great place to learn more about what you are going through and to give and receive support.

Iris L.

Heyno
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:00 PM

I have been having a rough go. The world doesn't stop, people don't care, and no one understands. I tell my therapist, he's great, but doesn't get it. I can't read anymore. Used to be glued to books. Now I can't finish two chapters. Ex is being a thorn, can't tell her to much fearing she won't let me with kids alone. It's a hard battle everyday, and I'm tired. Sorry for gloom, but the weather here in CT has not helped.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:22 PM

Everything changes, Heyno.  Only our peers understand.  

For myself, I had a hard time accepting that my old life was over.  I came up with the concept of Dementia Pioneer to help myself accept my new life.  I can be a Pioneer.  I had to learn to make changes.

Iris L.

MoonLady
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:30 PM

There seems to be a double edged sword of having family around you and folks like Iris and myself that live alone.

One one hand, we have no one to argue with and there is no one in the home that adds add'l stress.  On the other hand there is no one there to help us through the tough moments, or to offer a shoulder, or even just give us a hug.

Heyno, this sucks.  All of it.  The loss we experience just a part of normal aging not to mention the compounding losses we are experiencing privately (and sometimes not so privately) every day because our brains are mushy.  I'm sorry you've been having a tough time.  Everyone here knows it sucks too.  

Sending you a big ol' nod of acknowledgment....yea....I hate this too...some days more than others and I hear you loud and clear.

Kathy

MoonLady
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:37 PM

And me?  Checking in....

I actually got disoriented while driving.  Yup.  Driving home on a familiar fwy, exiting on a street I usually exit, but for some reason, I wasn't sure if I should turn L or R despite the sign clearly saying I should turn Left.  "Noooo, that's no right" I thought, the area didn't look familiar, didn't look right, so I turned the other way.  The streets I passed were all familiar, "ahhh ok, yes, this is right", so I kept going.  They were familiar all right, if I were going to another city! Finally I saw a sign, "Welcome to (insert wrong city)" and OMG, I obviously went the wrong way.  

S***

I put on my GPS and say I had gone 5 miles in the wrong direction and if I had turned Left like I always do, I would have been 1 mile from my apartment.  

But nothing looked familiar.  

S***

Other than that, I had several good days/hours/moments and some sucky ones, but the last few days had more good than sucky so no complaints here!

Anyone else checking in today????  Good post Iris! Nice way to start the week! 

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:46 PM

Hi Moon Lady,

I am so sorry to say this, but getting lost may be a serious sign that you need to give up driving.

What resources are there in your neighborhood for non-drivers.

Tough, but we non-drivers can still live!!!!

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:52 PM

Moon Lady, part of what you experienced is from visual agnosia--not recognizing something familiar.  You didn't recognize familiar landmarks.  Also your directions sense is vanishing.  

I had an experience when I didn't recognize the street I was driving on until I came to the mall, and then I knew where I was.  This happened at night, and I rarely drive at night.  I can find my way in the daylight, even if I don't recognize familiar landmarks.  For example, there is one street that I will take tomorrow for about about ten miles straight.  I'm going to the Memory Club, which meets once a month.  I am only now just beginning to recognize landmarks that I pass.  Even though the landmarks seem unfamiliar, I know I'm supposed to stay on that road until almost the end, which is where I turn to go to the Memory Club.  I rarely go anywhere I don't know.  I'm not about to get lost.  I don't have anyone to call to get me home.

I agree with Mimi.  Now is the time to look into transportation alternatives.  I am signed up for ACCESS, although I have not used it yet.  There is a company called GoGoGrandparent, which is like Uber for seniors.  It was mentioned at Memory Club.  One of the members is very satisfied with it.

Iris L.

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:06 AM

Hi Iris and Mimi. Welcome new members. Checking the board but Haven't felt like writing much. Not sure how I'm doing as lately it changes from one moment to the next? Too much going on with medical issues. If ever it gets here I'm looking forward to spring, some gardening, sun! Planting raised garden beds this year. 
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:29 AM

{{{{{{{{ Ilee }}}}}}}}

MoonLady
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:54 AM

Mimi and Iris:  This was the first occurance  of this type and I do not think this should be a deal breaker for driving.  Perhaps it's a harbinger of things to come, but one time and give up driving?  Nope. I don't think so.  I wasn't Lost, I was disoriented in terms of which direction I was going (North vs South). 

Right after my Angio MRI I took the intiative to look into driving assessments even though I had/have no driving issues (checked in with neighbors/son's etc).  No accidents, no honking, no close events.  I have a 'smart' car with 4 camera's so it beeps if I get to close, swerve etc.  I love it!  But anyway....looked into assessments and omg, they are sooooo expensive!  Over $500 bucks!  I will be calling AAA as they offer assessments without all the occupational therapy bells and whistles, so I'm sure it's much cheaper.  That, at least, will give me a baseline as to my ability to handle the car itself.

Also, I've only lived in this area for 8 months.  I know that seems like a long time, but it's still fairly new, so I had to give myself *that* too.  Not like I take that route daily.  I don't.  Maybe 5 times a month.

When I don't feel comfortable driving I've been taking Lyft.  

*Do I sound like I'm in denial????  LOL *

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:18 PM

Moon Lady, I don't think you need to give up driving now. But I think it's a good idea to look into transportation options, in order to be prepared for the future.  You already have done that, since you are using Lyft.   Being prepared is the recommendation from the AARP Safe Driving class for drivers over age 50.  In the class they talk about changes that occur in all older drivers, and they review the driving laws.  I found it very informative and helpful.  

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:22 PM

Congratulations on your new baby granddaughter, Ilee!  What a joy she will be to you and your family!

I spent much time working in the NICU.  They will take good care of her and let her grow to her intended size before she gets to come home.  I'll keep her in my prayers.

Iris L.

× Close Menu