Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
I use to be in Alz board a few years ago, now I'm getting my sister set up to receive support!
Mo42
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 11:42 AM

Hello to all!  My screen name on here was Biddie, caretaker for my husband Richard, now my Sister was diagnosed with MCI, mild cognitive impairment, she needs support!   TODAY, after 3pm i will present this TABLET to her, up and running!   I'm going to sleep over night and help her work it, so she can come on each morning and feel that  SUPPORT!    SO if any of you can post a message here to show some support, I know she will be Grateful,   My husband is in stage 7, and is in a Nursing Home "VA".       My sister's screen name on here is Mo42,       when I give her this TABLET i will have her post, and introduce herself.    I thank you all in advance for showing support!!   I'm signing off now "Mo42, little sister "biddie, Richards wife!!!
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 4:16 PM

Welcome back Biddie. And of course we will welcome your sister.  What was the process of er diagnosis?  

And you do know that not all MCI's go on to full blown dementia.  Has she had a PET scan or  analysis of spinal cord fluid. The presence of amalyoid is not good. I don't know, but that may have a lot to do with it progresses and how fast.

Mo42
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 8:39 PM

Hello to all. This is Mo42 This is the first time I am posting . I a m having  difficulty trying to find a support group in my area.   I will continue tomorrow, getting late,   signing off .   Mo42
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 9:05 PM

Welcome to our online support group, Mo42.  I know your sister Biddie is already being a great support to you.  But here is a place where you can learn about your illness from people who are in the same situation as you.  Your local chapter may have information on an in-person support group.  Perhaps Biddie can help you find your local chapter. Please feel free to post when you have a question or a concern.  Feel free to post also on the Younger Onset board.

Iris L.

Mo42
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 10:06 AM

Hello Iris, thanksfor responding. Bridget is with me now. I a m so lucky to have her support. The first thing I did was call  Alz..  To my amazement, they only  had support for caretaker s. 

I purchased two books that are   very helpful but it would   be so nice to talk to another woman who is going through what I am going through .

Mo42

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 3:27 PM

Hello, Mo.  We all try to help each other out, both men and women.  If I remember correctly, Biddie lives in New Jersey.  Unfortunately, many areas do not have support groups for PWDs (persons with dementia).  You might do a google search to see if there is an independent Memory Club in your area.  Some areas have a telephone support group.  I know that some PWDs are involved in video chats. 

What books have you purchased?  How have you found them to help you?  I have found the most help right here on the pages of these message boards, from many members, both patients and care providers.

How is your week going, Mo?  Do you have any questions?

Iris L.

Mo42
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:48 PM

Hello. Iris. How nice of you to respond. I am 76 years old and really struggling 

with this ipad. Between trembling fingers and not tech savvy it is a real challenge for me.

The two books I am reading are  " Early Alzheimer''" and "The End

Of Alzheimer's" which is very technical  but optimistic.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:22 PM

Hi, Mo.  Congratulations on using the iPad.  I still use a computer; I haven't advanced to an iPad yet.

I have read both of those books.  Dr. Bredesen's book is about what we on this board call Best Practices, which are lifestyle habits that help us function better and prolong the early stages.  Of course, he goes into great detail.  Personally, I have had success with Best Practices. 

Are you able to get outside for activities?  Can you manage your household and shopping?

Iris L.

× Close Menu