Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Another major drug fails in clinical trials
Larrytherunner
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2018 10:26 AM

Atabecestat has become another Alzheimer's drug that has failed in clinical trials. Following an evaluation of liver safety data from its studies, Johnson and Johnson has decided not to continue development of this drug.

I think that big pharma is now realizing that beta amyloid treatments may not be the answer, and that genetically modified mice are not a good model for Alzheimer's. In my opinion, treating inflammation that increases with age will lead to an effective treatment. 

Janssen pulls plug on Alzheimer’s candidate - PharmaTimes http://www.pharmatimes.com/news/janssen_pulls_plug_on_alzheimers_candidate_1235957 

TrishD
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:59 PM

My mother is taking memantine, and her cognition has increased somewhat. Although it's not a cure it has helped her with daily living
Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 10:18 AM

Adding to the list of anti-amyloid drug failures for Alzheimer's disease:

https://www.investors.com/news/technology/lilly-astrazeneca-alzheimers-disease-treatment/

Amyloid does no damage to the brain unless it causes oxidation and inflammation and the way it does so is through protein kinase C activation and NMDA receptor activation (memantine is a weak NMDA receptor antagonist).

"Malinow’s team found that when mice are missing the PKC alpha gene, neurons functioned normally, even when amyloid beta was present. Then, when they restored PKC alpha, amyloid beta once again impaired neuronal function. In other words, amyloid beta doesn’t inhibit brain function unless PKC alpha is active."

Limit oxidation and inflammation and you have a chance to treat Alzheimer's disease.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 10:29 AM

I will add this: there are dozens of factors that cause oxidation and inflammation in the brain.  Focusing on one such as amyloid was bound to fail.
Justinr
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:36 PM

My husband couldn’t tolerate donepezil so hoping this drug will help that neurologist prescribed. Sounds like it is helping for you. It is so frustrating and I am depressed feel so lonely

Justinr
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:38 PM

Many people have told me to give my husband coconut oil, has anyone tried this?
Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 4:38 PM

This used to be a very active part of Alzconnected, but unfortunately not anymore.  You could repost your question on the caregiver's forum and search for previous discussions on coconut oil using the search function.

Coconut oil has been suggested as a treatment for Alzheimer's disease for one main reason: the ketones in coconut oil provide an alternative source of fuel as glucose transport decreases as Alzheimer's progresses.  Besides this, though, ketones decompose peroxynitrite which through oxidation and nitration damage key enzymes, receptors, and other proteins in the brain.

A company called Axona was developing what they claimed was a better version of coconut oil.  Their compound performed well in a smaller-scale trial but not well in a larger trial.  The company said they altered their compound in a way that turned out to make it less effective, but it is hard to say if this was the reason for their later clinical trial problems.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/r-d/accera-fails-phase-3-alzheimer-s-trial-denting-energy-theory

× Close Menu