Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Need recommendations for neurologists in South Florida
Zebra711
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:17 PM

Hi all, I was diagnosed with AD about a month ago and I would like to get a second opinion.  I live in South Florida in south Palm Beach County.

I posted this request on the Younger-Onset AD page as well. Thank you!

TomBateson
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 8:20 PM

Exactly the help I need. Anyone near Miami?
Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 8:41 PM

Welcome to our world. I am so glad you both found us.

From your library, ask for a copy of any book by Doraiswamy and Gwyther. it describes, not the gold standard, but the steps to an adequate diagnosis. A PCP is not qualified to diagnose. If this is not what you experiences, look for a dementia diagnostic center, usually in a large Medical or University setting with a dementia department.

If you did receive such a diagnostic procedure, do you really want to repeat it?  What about the results don't you want to believe?

Possibly an appointment with a dementia neurologist who will review the report, will help.

TomBateson
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 12:48 PM

Most kind of you to reply - thank you. When you look for a doctor or medical team - you want the best. Trouble is - exactly how do you 'shop' for the correct treatment?

I have found it most comforting to ask a local on-line community like this for doctors they have been most happy with. This was done on the Florida NPH board and the response was outstanding. Simply - those who had surgery for their conditions would share their most positive experiences.

Guess what one or two names were beloved by several unrelated members.

While this might not get you "The Perfect" doctor - it is most comforting from the multiple positive experiences that I would at least have a better than random chance avoiding a BAD doctor!

Frankly - I can see no more powerful use for this community.

As for myself - I simply need to find a neurologist who can identify the cause of my decline - before my waiting for it to get worse.

Who better to ask for helpful experiences than from my local peers?

Unless you have forbidden such discussions - I think they aught to be encouraged - don't you?

× Close Menu