Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
cbd oil
Maxwellmo
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2018 7:27 AM

Good morning, 

Is anyone using cbd oil? Reviews are positive for anixety and more. If so where do you purchase?

Thanks

1MOTxn
Posted: Friday, September 7, 2018 12:04 AM

I was hoping for response to your question, too, but perhaps this is too sensitive a question since CBD oil isn't legal everywhere.  I have been given some to use, but am curious about the administration and side effects, if any.  I'm wondering if the oil might let me give my husband fewer meds for restless legs and restless sleep.  When I approached our neurologist about it, he just quickly changed the subject and moved on.  The friend who provided the oil to me purchases it at a health food store in her area where it's legal.  Perhaps some brave soul will give an account of their first-hand knowledge.

feudman
Posted: Friday, September 7, 2018 7:36 AM

In many markets, CBD oil derived from hemp cannabis is currently being aggressively marketed (as in discounts, bogo free sales, etc.), and promoted with an almost endless list of healthful benefits. Much of it is imported, harvested from plants having been grown specifically for the oil, but only containing trace amounts of THC (<.3%).

I'm skeptical, but don't pass judgement on its effectiveness (or lack thereof), however, I just wanted to make it clear that these products shouldn't be confused with the CBD oil derived from the indica & sativa strains of the THC rich cannabis plants, which can only be sold at medical dispensaries and in states that have legalized it. This is the CBD oil being prescribed for treatment of symptoms of dementia (anxiety, etc.), but has also been shown in some studies to improve cognitive abilities. You can find posts by members with experience, particularly on the "EO & other dementia" forum. Poster Lane Simonian can also shed light on this subject in more detail than I can provide.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, September 7, 2018 9:00 AM

There are several posters on Early Onset using CBD oil.
BTW...this is a big topic on the non-motor symptom Parkinson's board. Many are using with great success.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, September 7, 2018 11:03 AM

If you go to the search function and type in cbd oil, many of the discussions on cbd oil will come up.  Alz+ has been trying different types of cbd oil for her Alzheimer's disease with quite a bit of success both for anxiety and cognition.

Are you living in a state (or country) where medicinal marijuana is legal?  

I only began to read extensively about cbd oil after my mother's death (she had Alzheimer's disease but died from heart failure).  I did not have any personal experience using it.  There is a scientific reason why it should be helpful, though.  THC, cannabidiol, and terpenes in cbd oil scavenge peroxynitrite and reverse part of the damage that it does to the brain.  By doing so it leads to higher levels of acetylcholine (which is needed for the retrieval of short-term memory) and the regeneration of neurons in the hippocampus.

The following is for glaucoma but it also applies to Alzheimer's disease.

Neuroprotective effect of (-)Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol in N-methyl-D-aspartate-induced retinal neurotoxicity: involvement of peroxynitrite.

The neuroprotection by THC and CBD was because of attenuation of peroxynitrite.

Here is some information about terpenes in cbd oil that may be value in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.

Research into the medicinal benefits of cannabis terpenes is still in its infancy but already has shown promise in treating a variety of neurodegenerative conditions like dementia and Alzheimer’s.

Terpenes are highly aromatic molecules that occur naturally in plants and trees, including the wonderful cannabis plant. They are the basis of aromatherapy and responsible for all the variations in taste and smell from plant to plant, strain to strain.

https://naturalcannabis.com/3-terpenes-likely-benefit-alzheimers-dementia-research/

As a side note, I used aromatherapy to help my mother with Alzheimer's disease.  Aromatherapy (or cbd oil taken orally which is the essential oil of marijuana) helps improve memory of places (ones own home for example), recognition of objects, reduces delusions, and helps increase alertness and awareness.  Some essential oils can also decrease anxiety.

I am not able to vouch for all of the following article, but the parts regarding the reasons why cbd oil may help in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease are solid.

CBD Oil For The Treatment Of Alzheimer’s Disease

By

Jennifer Kurtz

-

February 14, 2018

(I took out the link because I noticed they are advertising for hemp oil--skip that part--but the rest is worth reading).

NJK
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 7:06 AM

I live in Michigan. CBD is legal and obtained through a dispensary. A Medical card has to be authorized for a patient to use the dispensary. On my most recent visit to our Dr., I asked about and was told "yes definitely try it".
Birdies
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 11:02 PM

NJK wrote:
I live in Michigan. CBD is legal and obtained through a dispensary. A Medical card has to be authorized for a patient to use the dispensary. On my most recent visit to our Dr., I asked about and was told "yes definitely try it".

Have you tried the cbd oil yet?
Marinemom
Posted: Tuesday, January 1, 2019 7:15 PM

Try hempfieldfarms.com...cbd oil capsules...legal and helps...good luck!
Ed1937
Posted: Tuesday, January 1, 2019 8:50 PM

Hempfieldfarms.com link did not work.
Rescue mom
Posted: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 2:18 PM

Be aware of the different kinds of CBD oil. One that’s now widely available online and legal everywhere is all hemp oil, it’s not the one with cannabis.

I don’t know they can market like they do, but it’s extremely confusing until/unless you know the difference in the two.

Medical cannabis CBD oil is legal in my state, but so restricted there’s long waits involved. We’re waiting. Many good reports on this.

Meanwhile, we tried the CBD oil that’s more easily obtained (all hemp oil) but not cheap, and it did nothing. Maybe it helped like a vitamin might help, but no difference that could be seen.

The all-hemp oil is legal everywhere, available at health food stores and online. I’d be very leery of super-cheap stuff online, it could be anything. At least our health food store, which is trustworthy IMO, decide on one brand they thought was good.

Rescue mom
Posted: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 2:37 PM

With the 2 diff. CBD oils, also remember that states vary enormously in how they regulate the one with cannabis. You can go through online ordering process, to end up being told they won’t deliver the “real” one to your state.

There’s probably no harm from the all-hemp CBD oil (besides money lost) but I know people who tried it thinking they were getting the CBD oil with cannabis. Then they say it’s doesnt help them—which means they are less likely to try the “real” one, which I hear people praise to the skies. You just have to jump a lot of hoops to get it in my state.

feudman
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:21 AM

Rescue mom wrote

There’s probably no harm from the all-hemp CBD oil (besides money lost) but I know people who tried it thinking they were getting the CBD oil with cannabis. Then they say it’s doesnt help them—which means they are less likely to try the “real” one, which I hear people praise to the skies. 

Correct....and that's why Blue Skies & I have posted so often about understanding the difference between the two types. The hemp CBD oil market will grow exponentially with passage of the Farm Bill. But the FDA isnt  regulating the ingestible products derived from hemp. 
Consumer Reports recently tested various brands in their laboratory. Only two listed their composition, confirmed by independent analysis. CR found discrepancies in other brands with listed contents. In all samples, the percentage of CBD varied, and one contained NONE AT ALL.

Rescue mom
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2019 10:59 AM

Feudman thank you. All the info you gave is good, easy to understand and needed. It’s a confusing issue that’s kind of new (farm bill) AND so many, including me, don’t pay attention until they want to take action. Then it’s confusing. Etc.

But thanks again for your continuing efforts.

Marinemom
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:06 PM

Oops...sorry...it is www.hempfieldsfarm.com

Highly recommended to me as a legit and consistent provider through a good friend who has a child with cancer.  It has helped my hubby with neuropathic pain and agitation.  Best of luck!

Gig Harbor
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 10:55 AM

We live in a state where marijuana is legal. For the past two weeks I have given my husband one 30mg cannabinoid infused soft gel every night. The main change I have noticed is that he has not mentioned that he feels confused. His memory is still measured in minutes but he seems to comprehend things more quickly. He knows that he has memory loss. I have never not told him. If he had cancer or heart disease we would have discussed it so I have treated AD the same way. I tell him that everybody has something by the time they get to his age (79) and his issue is memory loss. He has never been in close contact on a daily basis with someone who has AD so he has no idea how bad it can get as far as bathroom issues or behavior. He has visited his sister in her memory care but she is happy there and he sees it as a positive place for her to live. He is sad about not driving but he does understand how one accident caused by him could affect our financial future not to mention that he could kill someone. His license expired and I told him that he would not be able to pass the test and he agreed. I think I will continue the CBD oil for another month and reevaluate it. This is the form that has no THC.
feudman
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 12:40 PM

More concerning & alarming news about CBD oil from hemp plants:

Two identical studies were done in late 2017 at John Hopkins & U of PA (published in JAMA) in which 84 samples of CBD oils, tinctures, & liquids were chemically analyzed: Only 26 (30%) contained the labeled amount of CBD; about 1 in 4 contained less, and 18 (nearly 20%) contained THC levels possibly high enough to cause intoxication or impairment (enough to show up on a drug test). Additional FDA testing turned up several products containing no CBD at all.

An NBC affiliate in NYC just released the results of their own investigation, in which they purchased CBD liquid products & sent them to a lab for analysis: One brand contained 4 times the approved amount of lead, one was above CA limits for pesticides, and less than half contained the stated amount of CBD. 

Of 4 brands of gummies tested, one contained the stated amount, two had less than half labeled amount, and the fourth, purchased from a surgery recovery website offering "the strongest gummies available," contained zero in all tested samples.

Even though the Farm Bill has legalized the growing of hemp in the US (for the first time since 1937), it didn't specifically legalize the sale of ingestible products derived from it. CBD oil can no longer be labeled as a "dietary supplement" since the FDA approval of Epidiolex, and the FDA has been warning sellers about making claims of health benefits. But the fact that a drug with CBD as its active ingredient earned FDA approval may open the door for federal regulation of these products. Until then, when buying them, you have no idea where they came from, who made it, how they made it & what they put in it. Patients are being duped. Some products are sold under various different labels with differing listing of contents (admitted to by sellers).                            

"Hemp oil contains only trace amounts of CBD & THC", says Collen Keahey Lanier, executive director of the Hemp Industries Trade Group. "Whether CBD hemp oil will become legal across the country is unknown."                                                                      

Medical grade CBD, derived from the THC laden marijuana plant, is strictly regulated in NY & most other states, for potency, heavy metals, microbiologicals, pesticides, and fungicides.

× Close Menu