Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Cancelling social commitments
FredBelanger
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:35 PM

I've been diagnosed with MCI for a couple of years now. I'm staying pretty static as far as progression goes but lately I have a a propensity to back off from commitments I've made to others.

An example:
I volunteer at a local hospital to be greeter at the main entrance. A couple of times now I just didn't show up....like today. I feel very guilty, and rightfully so. I'll later call and apologize. My coordinator there is aware of my MCI and is very understanding but I still feel guilty.

To get to the point, I wonder if this behavior is connected at all to MCI or am I just looking for a scapegoat.

Thanks for reading.

Fred Belanger

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:52 PM

Welcome, Fred.  I feel overwhelmed at times by committments, but usually I am able to attend.  I try to avoid committments that make too many demands.  I think I would like to be a greeter at a hospital.  Are you getting enough sleep?  

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:19 PM

Hi Fred,

Welcome to our group.  We're so glad you found us.

Hopefully you have the type of MCI that does not progress, or does so very slowly.

Socialization, such as you get as a greeter, is important.  Only you can decide what is too uch.  Do you need to cut down on how often you sign up for?

I don't know you but would hope you do show up for what you signed up for. or at least, try calling before you are due, so they know you won't be there.

FredBelanger
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:50 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Actually I did call the volunteer coordinator and apologized. We had a good conversation and it resulted in my taking a respite for a week or two. There are issues at home to get resolved first. She told me that there are other volunteer positions that she thinks would be more to my liking. I greatly appreciate her patience and understanding.

Onward and Upward!

× Close Menu