Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
home cameras
Ms. Lala
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 5:45 PM

Hi new to this sight. I am the caretaker for my mom with ALZ/Dementia I worry when she is asleep that she may get up and hurt herself . I have a baby monitor in her room now but feel I need something more. Has anyone purchased any systems that are easy to use, can see from phone and do not show when they are on (lights up)? 

I am thankful for such a community that are all going through the same things. I have read some interesting and helpful stories and will continue to be a part of this forum.

God bless us all and help us.

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:01 PM

Hello Ms. Lala and a very warm welcome to you.  This is a common concern for many caregivers.   Some use floor pad alarms next to the bed so that when the patient slides out of bed, an alarm goes off not in the Loved One', (LOs), room, but in the caregiver's room.  There are many of those offered online.

You can use Google and enter the words, "Bedside alarms Alzheimer's patients,"  "Alzheimer's monitors with cameras" and "baby monitors with cameras," or any combination of words to see many diifferent examples if you want to have a camera at the bedside so you can see your mother at night.  I'm such a worrywart, I would probably use both a floor mat and a monitor/camera.  

I recall someone here who bought one of those foam pool "noodles" and placed it under the side of the mattress so their LO could not roll out of bed, but the risk of that would be the LO somehow managing to roll across or climb over leading to a bit higher risk.

Though I have not used such an alarm device, I am sure others will come along to share their experience.

J.

PJAB
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:35 PM

When my mom first started living with us she would get up during the night and walk around. I put bells on the floor by her bed and also on the door knobs so I would hear her get up. Funny, yes...but it worked!,
SelEtPoivre
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:40 PM

I have Amcrest wifi cameras at home. The app is good, but setting up motion detection is a PITA

I also have a Wink smarthome set that comes with a wireless motion detector and wireless chime/alarm (and two sets of door sensors, if you’re concerned about wandering). The chime can be placed anywhere, and the app will notify your phone. The set was $199 on Amazon. Very easy setup and good tech support 

Ms. Lala
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 1:47 PM

Thank you at this point I am willing to try anything

Pioneer woman
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2018 7:52 PM

My mom is a fall risk. Previously got out of bed, fell and fractured shoulder at 88.

We use a floor mat - so if her feet hit the floor - the mat goes off. You can also use this product as a bed mat. When shoulders lift -the alarm goes off.

My dad needs assistance to remember to use walker. He falls at night when getting up or back in bed. So, we use a Motion Sensor to Pager to alert when it senses movement. Nice that you can carry it with you. Made by Smart Caregiver. I've moved it and used it in the family room - when I was afraid I may fall asleep. Being in the same room. I love it. Inexpensive, too.

Also have the baby monitor for noise but my parents are generally very quiet and it doesn't help much. Do keep track of coughs, sneezes, etc.

PaniniSandwich
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2018 7:56 PM

I have a baby monitor and the iMegaCam video camera that you can access from your phone or any tablet.  You can also set it up for motion detection.

I also purchased a driveway sensor that I place under her night stand in case she gets up after going to bed her feet would cross the sensor line.  There is a blue light on it that flashes if that happens though.

Ms. Lala
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 6:06 PM

thank you how do you remote the garage sensor?

Ms. Lala
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 6:07 PM

thank you

CaringOne
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 10:22 PM

Floor mat, plus WIZE security cameras - they are signifcantly cheaper (under $30) and you don't need a base station.  We also used BLINK, but Wize is better.
Suziesb
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 10:46 PM

Because my 86 yr old mom is a fall risk, we have side rails on her bed, with a security camera in her bedroom. The brand is Faleemi (Amazon) and we also have the same camera in the living room, which is so handy as if we're in the kitchen preparing her meals(or the caregiver is) we can watch her from  our Smartphone app to ensure she's not getting up by herself. She has to have help to use her walker. She's had multiple falls with a fractured hip and a few other fractures, but since getting this system, no falls in the past several months. (Hope I didn't jinx it)   We tried the bed alarm for awhile, too, but don't need it now with this system and side rails for her. She also is still cognizant enough to ring a bell on the rail when she wants up. For now.
Relocated Daughter
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 12:37 AM

I used a bed alarm and took the "chime" upstairs with me. It was used in combination with a Nest camera. If I heard the "chime", I'd get up and quickly look at the camera and then run down the stairs. My mom always wondered how I knew that she had to use the bathroom. They were a lifesaver - she never once fell during the nighttime.

× Close Menu