Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
Percepta
Steve3D
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:35 PM

Anybody heard of Percepta?  I stumbled across it in a Reader's Digest article, of all things.  About the only reviews on line are about working for the company, and not the supplement.  Naturally, it's for sale on Amazon (there should be a big-money contest to find something NOT on Amazon!).

Thanks to everyone who knows more than me how to research these things.  The five-year-old neighbor kid is tired of helping me with my computer.  He says he's starting kindergarten soon, and I'll be on my own.  That's scary.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:55 AM

It is nice to be able to have a laugh now or then.

I am not good with computers, either, but I like research.

The two components of Percepta are cat's claw and oolong tea.  The product is being touted as an amyloid plaque buster and as an inhibitor of tau aggregation.

http://perceptabrain.com/plant-based-ingredients/

But its real possible potential is as an antioxidants.  More specifically both substances are peroxynitrite scavengers.

Antioxidant properties of Cat's claw were assessed by its ability to prevent apoptotic cell death in macrophages and colonic epithelial cells in response to peroxynitrite, a mediator of inflammation...Cat's claw prevented peroxynitrite-induced apoptosis (programmed cell death) but did not affect NO levels.

Catechins in oolong and other teas

Inhibition of peroxynitrite-mediated tyrosine nitration by catechin polyphenols.

Likely if you find the right combination of compounds that prevent or limit peroxynitrite-mediated damage, you effectively treat Alzheimer's disease.  Where this particular product fits in that ranking is difficult to say.

Steve3D
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:31 PM

Thanks, Lane.  I'm very glad you enjoy the research.  Age (and more than my share of concussions in the army) make keeping these things straight more of a challenge every day for me.  I do appreciate your patience with things I bring up that you've already posted.

My wife is on namenda and galantamine, as well as a variety of supplements.  I didn't see any "don't use with" warnings, but they wouldn't put that in the sales pitch.  I guess more research is necessary.  I'll drag my wife's naturopath/acupuncturist into the mix, and see what she thinks.

I told my wife I was going out to check the mail this morning.  By the time I got back, she'd forgotten where I'd gone, and was worried.  I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

× Close Menu