Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.

Site Maintenance Completed.  Click here for details.

RSS Feed Print
Lorazepam for anxiety - take at night?
LPT
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 12:36 PM

So we asked my mother's doctor to prescribe her some anti-anxiety medication.  She is obsessing over mail, cards, making piles, you name it,  "got so many things to do."  She is treating my father hatefully - wanted to punch him in the head while driving, asked him if he wanted a kick down the stairs, feigning that she's going to trip him, and she spews venom when she talks to or about him.  Starting to wander at night.  Finding fault in everything.  We all have a conspiracy against her.  Wants to drive.

So the dr prescribed lorazepam to take at night.  So, what good is an entry-level anxiety medication going to do her at night?  She also doesn't think it's helping "because it's making me forgetful."

I'm wondering what medications I can ask the doctor about that will give her (and us, especially my father) relief from racing thoughts and the like.

Aaannnd GO!  Thank you in advance!

Caring4two
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 1:15 PM

She needs to be evaluated by a geriatric psychiatrist. The class of drugs necessary are often ones PCPs or GP are not comfortable prescribing and some don’t have the experience. They just throw something at it and see if it sticks. 
vaeagen
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 1:28 PM

Hi LPT, sorry you have to join our club.

here is my experience, dmil (84 yo early stage 6 Alzheimers) has entered the full blown stage of not sleeping. In her case she wants to go home, or has every problem under the sun....kinda like trying to get a 2 year old to be. She has been on seriquel. she was just upped to 100 mg at bedtime. She also take 25 mg in morning and like 35 mg in afternoon.

Dr said to give it a week, the increased bedtime dose, to see if it helps with the sleeping. On morning 2, so far no relief.

I wish you luck.

Valerie

VRAAB
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:37 PM

My DH takes Pristiq (once a day) for anxieties along with Buspar for anxieties (as needed, short acting) both prescribed by a geri psychiatrist and Lexapro as an antidepressant (that takes away highs and lows first prescribed by his neurologist) and 5mg melatonin at bedtime for sleep. They seem to be working well. Many have said it takes time and is a process of adjusting medications to see what works with your LO. 

There is also validation and distraction techniques that your father may need to be educated on.  Look on the ALZ website for info and for Naomi Feil videos online.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 5:42 PM

I am assuming that the Dr is a PCP since that is not the go to med for PWD to take for anxiety. If you give it to her at night it will certainly help her sleep but, as you pointed out, that is not doing much for her anxiety during the day.

Actually the behavior you are talking about is pretty serious How long ago was she diagnosed and what was the process?

It is now too dangerous for her to drive in the front seat or maybe at all.

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 5:46 PM

Welcome to our world LPT. I'm so glad you found our site.

Was the doctor one who specialize in dementia? If not, in my opinion, that's the doc to consult.

Also, from your library ask for any book by Naomi Feil with the word VALIDATION in the title. It's not an easy read, but use of her method can often cut down the necessity for the drugs you are discussing. 

Do keep us in the loop.

× Close Menu