Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Smartphone addiction
Larrytherunner
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:17 AM

I just want to offer a possible solution to smartphone addiction, especially if you are a health care provider at home. Smartphone addiction is an easy trap to get caught in.

I am a retired American, 71 years old, living overseas and have had some mild cognitive issues in the past but have gotten back to normal due to taking a anti-inflammatory drug the past 3 years.

I have to admit that I am a smartphone addict, ever since I got 4 G last year. I am not much for social media such as Facebook, etc (except for Alzconnected.org), but I spend a lot of time viewing news sites, like CNN, The Guardian (UK), and others, especially attracted to the political craziness in the US for last two years. Also I have several medical news apps where I view the latest medical research and clinical trials, etc. And then there is my soccer game that I am getting so good at that my team always wins the league.

I have a time tracking app on my smartphone which had been showing that I was on the phone more than 6 hours a day. That's way too much so I tried restricting myself to 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. That wasn't working because it was too stressful trying to go without a smartphone for 4 plus hours during the day at one time. If I was working at an office during the day, it would be a different story because I would be busy and also I wouldn't want my boss to see me playing soccer on my phone. But I am instead at home and the temptation is too great.

My latest solution is to restrict my phone usage to odd hours. I get up every morning about 5 am (5 being an odd number), go jogging and after I am finished, I use the phone until 6 am. I take a one hour break to do things around the house. Then at the next odd number, 7 am, I resume using the phone. And so I continue using the phone on odd hours throughout the day.

So far, it is working. I have gotten my usage down to about 4 hours a day, and I am getting a lot more things done on my even hours. Furthermore I don't feel smartphone deprived because I only have to wait an hour before I can use my smartphone again. I am an odd hour person because I get up at 5 am. But of course you can always be an even hour person.

Smart phones can be very useful but they can be big time wasters too. So I have found this a good way to use my phone and get things done.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 11:41 AM

Thanks for the great tip, Larry.  When I was using my desktop computer for up to eight hours a day reading these message boards, I developed back pain!  That reminded me that so much sitting is harmful!  I cut my time back a geat deal.  I don't get involved in news or social media. 

Lately, my time has been spent advising my friends and relatives who have become caregivers.  Thanks to what I have learned from Alzconnected, there is a LOT that I can impart to others about caregiving.  I also accompanied two patients on medical visits--that took up a lot of time and energy.

I'm glad you are having success with your new routine, Larry.

Iris

Larrytherunner
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:01 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, Iris. I like to put out tips that work for me and others may find useful.
eaglemom
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 8:26 AM

I would venture to guess if everyone truely tracked how much they are on there smart phone & or computers they'd be amazed. They are wonderful in many ways - keeping us informed, catching up with friends, etc. However they can be a huge time suck also.

For me personally I know I'll be doing something - out in the yard watering, for example - and see a weed I can't identify. So out comes the phone to identify it. Which then leads to looking at what will eradicate it. Which of course leads to looking at other plants which somehow leads to birds because one flew by....... on and on. 

It is very wise to limit ourselves I believe. Good advise.

eagle

× Close Menu