Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Piece of Bastard...
Eric L
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 10:51 AM

I just have to share this story because it's so fantastic. Yesterday afternoon, my MIL was hellbent on going home (of course, she is home). She kept getting up to walk home and no fibs, diversions, or anything like that was going to work. Her balance isn't exactly great, so one of us needs to be with her when she decides to get up and walk. I finally told her that we were going to go for a little walk around the house. It usually wears her out and helps to calm her down.

Anyhow, during our walk she was cussing and yelling a blue storm at me. I was sent to hell a few times, but the highlights of her outburst were:

1. "I'm going to tell on you!". And who are you going to tell. "My daughter". Okay.
2. "I'm never coming back to this house again!" Really? Do you mean it?
3. And last but not least "You know, you're a real piece of bastard".

It wasn't the best afternoon I've had, but I decided that I was going to take it all in stride. Besides, how often do you get to be a piece of bastard in your life?

TessC
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 11:11 AM

You got to find the humor and laugh sometimes with this disease or you'd be crying all the time
Blondie50
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 2:58 PM

EricL
Thank you for the laugh! I needed it, that is so funny.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:26 PM

You are lucky you did not get sent to the principals office...lol
Iamnumberfour
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 4:51 PM

At least you are just a piece of a bastard, not a whole one!
AmyJo5
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 7:52 PM

My mom's last words to my sister: "Are you trying to start something with me?" God bless them.
harshedbuzz
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 4:14 AM

quite the metaphor

SteveinRichmondHts
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:01 AM

To: Eric L.:

Yes, sometimes it seems as though this disease uses them to do their bidding for 'picking a fight', just for the ____ of it, eh? Maybe she was saying 'peaceful' bastard (?) It might make just as much sense to her, if so. Either way, it causes me to laugh, when I think about being called any number of names that my own children called me during their childhood , and before they learned to swear like the soldiers they are now. Here, now, the words are no so foul, but equally as mean and hateful, at times... I know I have been called worse, and provoked enough by this monster of a disease, to try to develop a sense of humor as a coping mechanism. Seems, at times, as though the disease's cornerstones of cruelty, injustice and insensitivity are the very things it passes on to it's victims...

eaglemom
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:09 AM

Thanks for the morning smile. Yes you have got to try to put a positive spin on everything or else you just can't survive.

Thanks for sharing.

eagle

Dahlke
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:04 AM

HA HA HA. LOVED IT.
Eric L
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:58 AM

Steve - I'm pretty sure she was trying to call me piece of poo, but bastard came out instead. At least it was a funny moment.

And yesterday, she did manage to tell on me. I was taking her for a little walk (she doesn't like it at all) and she saw my wife and told her "He's being so mean me to me right now!"(in between her bouts of cussing me out of course, but I'm the mean one..hehehe).
elhijo
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 9:46 PM

The old lady's creative

You should hear what my mom calls me in spanish

LicketyGlitz
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:40 PM

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, Eric L. Love you for making me snort chicken soup out of my nose when I read this.

I'm gonna tell my Mom she better up her game. Your Mom is totally winning in the expletives department.

SteveinRichmondHts
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:00 AM

To : Eric L.:

Thanks for bringing some laughs... I have to believe that many, if not most of us, spend considerable time being 'thrown under the bus' simply because we exist, and are closest to our loved ones. On a serious note, it does truly hurt in those instances when she informs our visiting nurse and/or therapists, doctors, the dentist, her hair stylist, etc., that I am abusing her ... many folks have had to probe to see if this is valid, and while it is investigated, it just sucks to know that the time and effort that goes into providing care, is completely dismissed, and that she has absolutely no idea of the effect she is causing. Or perhaps she does, and has become twisted enough to get some joy out if it. At times, very sadly, it would almost seem so. Our system of protecting the vulnerable, for all it's best intentions, can also serve to challenge those of us with what we feel are our loved ones best interest in mind, I suppose. Ah well, time to suit up again to face what the monster tells her to do and say, today...powerful indeed, and I will need to 'see which resources are to be called upon' - sadly, she will never see that 'reporting me to the principal', and the time I will have to spend sitting in his office is such a bloody f___ing waste of time and energy, eh? Though, to her mind, maybe appropriate for a piece of bastard...

JJAz
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:34 PM

SteveinRichmondHts wrote:

On a serious note, it does truly hurt in those instances when she informs our visiting nurse and/or therapists, doctors, the dentist, her hair stylist, etc., that I am abusing her ...

It could be worse.  My Mother would tell anyone who would listen  that my Brother (her caregiver) was a child molester (he wasn't).  He was the local Church Bishop in a small town. 

Eric L
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:37 PM

My goodness Jamie, that really puts the "my family treats me like (bleep)" to anyone that would listen into a bit of perspective.
SteveinRichmondHts
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 7:53 AM

To: JJAz :

Yes, indeed, it could, and perhaps I need to remember that more than I'd like to admit. Perhaps, as well, like your brother, that the more trusted and understanding, the more one can be suspected of "foul play". Ironic, it would seem, at times. Cunning and powerful this disease is...

ScottDawley
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 10:02 PM

I’ve been called a f_____g son of a b___h so many times by my father with ALZ, I’d be glad to be called something silly!

And yes, as someone mentioned, this is a horrible, cruel disease, both to the person who has it and to those who care for them. Designed, developed, deployed straight from the deepest, darkest most foul pits of hell itself!

Acoxe3
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:17 PM

EricL, thanks for the laugh!   My good friend—a nurse whose expertise is dementia/alzheimer’s—always tells me to “laugh, laugh, laugh” whenever you can.

Several years ago a good friend whose mother had alzheimer’s told me about how when he went to visit her she suddenly exclaimed, “Johnny, put your clothes on!”  She was seeing him as a five yo who was running around naked.  Here he was, a 52 yo attorney, knowing his mother was seeing him naked.  He had to leave the room, from embarrassment and laughing so hard!

× Close Menu