Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
How to bathe a Beast.
LicketyGlitz
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:55 PM

World's worst dementia showering tips.

How to bathe a Beast.

https://www.stumpedtowndementia.com/blog-1/how-to-bathe-a-beast

ddm716
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 4:24 PM

Oh my thanks for this great entertaining notes on showering mom. 

My mom has just started this no shower thing. She stinks and the demons come out 

This is the main reason why I started looking into this sight for help. 

What a horrible disease. 

MissHer
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 11:13 PM

Hi

Have you watched any Teepa Snow videos? She's great and funny,too.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL79riYuDnvGhwGYk9JFMH3wfqoDPP9vNB 

Iamnumberfour
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 2:53 PM

Showers are very stressful: being undressed, noise, water splashing, noise, slippery floor and walls, perhaps having to step over rhe edge of the tub or shower. Consider as an alternate:

-No-rinse bathing cloths, which can be warmed prior to use 

-A long hose on the tub faucet that can reach to the toilet and be used like a bidet

Jurni
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 2:19 AM

HI, my husband prior to the onset of Alzheimer's was a very neat clean man! I have to beg him daily to shower. You mentioned bathing cloths that are a no rinse tyoe of cloth. Where do I purchase them. Also, any insight into the reasons the shower or bathing thing is now an issue would be greatly appreciated.
Iamnumberfour
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 5:40 AM

Hello Jurni and welcome. The bathing cloths I have used are 'Ally' brand rinse-free bathing cloths. They are specifically for bathing adults and are not the same things as bathroom wipes. I get them on Amazon in bulk. There are several brands; look for rinse-free adult bathing cloths if doing a search.

The loss of hygiene in a previously meticulous person is distressing to caregivers. Bathing seems to become frightening or unpleasant. Sensory over-stimulation plays a role and the tub or shower is scary. The surfaces are slippery. There may be nothing to hold onto. The water may be too warm or too cold. It is noisy. The person may have forgotten how to bathe; shouting directions above the sound of running water adds to the confusion. Being naked is distressing. 

There are a few things that can make this a little easier. Licketyglitz shared her story in her blog; she is a skilled and loving caregiver who has been able to do these tasks well, but even so, there are times when nothing goes right. Retrofit your shower for handicapped access: grab bars and a shower bench are a must. Make sure the room is warm and that there are no drafts. A handheld shower hose is very helpful. Be very matter of fact in assisting. Adjust the water temperature before helping the person in. Use the handheld shower, directing water away from his face...water in the face is very distressing.

MissHer recommended Teepa Snow and put a link to a video. Teepa Snow is a dementia expert and educator and has a lot of excellent videos addressing practical aspects of caregiving. If this is all new to you, I recommend the book The 36 Hour Day, which is a handbook of dementia caregiving.

LicketyGlitz
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:30 PM

Gawd, I love you guys! Helpful. Always.

Iam - I'd never even heard of bathing cloths! Sah-weet! I'm going to get a packet for me and The Other Girl to test out. We're also doing dry-shampoo for some fresh hair action.

MissHer - I have seen one Teepa Snow vid on bathing, which is on that link you provided. If there are others that you know of I'd love a link. We adopted all the suggestions we could (space heater, comforting pressure points in the hand, shower seat, etc.). Some have helped, like getting that space heater cranked in the bathroom, other's will help once but not the next time, or not at all (the shower stool is just too confusing of a concept for her and after she stubbed her toe on it, we yanked the darn* thing out of the shower).

Let me know if you have other tips that are working for you crazy kids!

MissHer
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:23 PM

The link provided has several videos. My momma is gone but she was rather feisty about personal care. Not much worked/   (I would hate it myself)

× Close Menu