Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Sister's son hijacked her Social Security check......
leilani
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 7:11 PM

I care for my older sister who has EOD. She is in my care mainly due to her son's negligent behavior toward her. He dumped her off on my Mother, who is in her late 80's. He had POA and stole her insurance money and cashed out policies. He then tried to cash out her Gov. retirement. I put a stop to it and warned him to stay clear. He didn't listen. He went on the Social Security website and opened an account under her info...changed her address and changed the auto deposit into his bank. I didn't even know you could open an account on the website and do these shenanigans. 
Anyway, when she didn't receive her check in January, I just thought it was due to the Gov. shutdown. But, I found out other people were still receiving their checks. 

When SS told us what had happened, I was in tears. I was so ashamed of what he did to his poor mother. I'm still in shock over this and thought I would vent and warn people what could happen.

Thanks

pidgeon92
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 7:22 PM

Call the police. He should be arrested for fraud.
leilani
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 7:24 PM

pidgeon92 wrote:
Call the police. He should be arrested for fraud.

Yes, Social Security is actually investigating. Whatever happens, happens. 

dayn2nite2
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:15 PM

The police is the appropriate bunch to handle this, why doesn’t anybody want to have him arrested?
harshedbuzz
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 5:05 AM

You need to bring the police in on this.
Jo C.
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 5:58 AM

Leilani, I am very sorry or what is happening and can only imagine how angry and frustrating this must feel not to mention the stress.

What has occurred and is still happening with your sister's son, is in all states considered "Elder Abuse," the category would be Fiduciary Abuse which would be covered in the statute.

A report really needs to be made to two places:

1,   Make a call to Adult Protective Services in the county in which your sister is living and make a full report.  You can find the number for the local office by using Google.  They take fiduciary abuse quite seriously.

2.  It really is important to make a police report, BUT I would call the local police station and ask which detectives in the detective bureau handle elder abuse cases.   Then I would contact that detective and make a report.  In some police departments, a patrol officer comes out first to take a report and then hands it off to the detectives; you can find out the process by speaking to the Watch Commander at the local station.

It is best to follow the report and actually speak to the handling detective at intervals to see what is happening as these days detectives caseloads are pretty full.

Your nephew should not be able to continue nor to be let go from his crimes abuse because that is what this has been . . . . multple crimes and elder abuse.  It is not about revenge, but about accountability and preventing further manipulation.

Also; it may well be that you would want to apply for and obtain full Guardianship of both your sister's person as well as her finances.  That would stop everything in its tracks permanently.   By the way, if property is owned, be very, very sure that your sister's son has not played fast and loose with the property itself taking out mortgages, or fraudulently stealing the property, etc.  Property has been lost that way.  If there is property, make sure the taxes have been paid up to date.

Please let us know how things are going, we will certainly be thinking of you.

J.

leilani
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:41 AM

Jo C. wrote:

Leilani, I am very sorry or what is happening and can only imagine how angry and frustrating this must feel not to mention the stress.

What has occurred and is still happening with your sister's son, is in all states considered "Elder Abuse," the category would be Fiduciary Abuse which would be covered in the statute.

A report really needs to be made to two places:

1,   Make a call to Adult Protective Services in the county in which your sister is living and make a full report.  You can find the number for the local office by using Google.  They take fiduciary abuse quite seriously.

2.  It really is important to make a police report, BUT I would call the local police station and ask which detectives in the detective bureau handle elder abuse cases.   Then I would contact that detective and make a report.  In some police departments, a patrol officer comes out first to take a report and then hands it off to the detectives; you can find out the process by speaking to the Watch Commander at the local station.

It is best to follow the report and actually speak to the handling detective at intervals to see what is happening as these days detectives caseloads are pretty full.

Your nephew should not be able to continue nor to be let go from his crimes abuse because that is what this has been . . . . multple crimes and elder abuse.  It is not about revenge, but about accountability and preventing further manipulation.

Also; it may well be that you would want to apply for and obtain full Guardianship of both your sister's person as well as her finances.  That would stop everything in its tracks permanently.   By the way, if property is owned, be very, very sure that your sister's son has not played fast and loose with the property itself taking out mortgages, or fraudulently stealing the property, etc.  Property has been lost that way.  If there is property, make sure the taxes have been paid up to date.

Please let us know how things are going, we will certainly be thinking of you.

J.

I never really thought to call the police. I figured Social Security Dept. would handle the investigation  and make the arrest? No? My Nephew is on Guam and my sister and I are in Idaho. SS has closed the fraudulent account and has fixed it so no changes can be made unless my sister goes to the office and makes them in person with ID. SS also cut my sis a check for the amount stolen. We spoke with the bank and they have stopped the online services and are aware of the situation. But, the bank account is in both their names and sister is primary. We have to fill out some paperwork and send it back to them. We were not able to close the bank account over the phone.
I will speak to my lawyer concerning the Guardianship. 

leilani
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:45 AM

Thank you, everyone.

Today will be a busy day for us. I will get in touch with the proper authorities and have this things ended once and for all. 

PS...I've reported it to adult services and a police officer is coming to my home any minute now.

PSS....Everything is completed. The officer said it was a good idea to get things rolling so SS see's everyone is on the case.

Thank you sooooooo much for the advice.

D in law
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 12:00 PM

Awful story, so sorry.  Hope it all works out.  Get him off that joint bank acct asap and hopefully his POA will be revoked.
leilani
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 1:29 PM

D in law wrote:
Awful story, so sorry.  Hope it all works out.  Get him off that joint bank acct asap and hopefully his POA will be revoked.
Thank you...

MissHer
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 11:16 PM

Awww, That's awful..So sorry.
anib
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 7:01 AM

Leilani,  So sorry this has happened to your sister, this seems to happen way too much with families. My older sister got away with over 140,000 within  months of my dad passing.

We buried my dad up in Hailey (you living in Idaho you will know where it is) my mom chose to stay up there in her childhood home.  My sister stayed up there with her and even tried to get her name on the deed to the house.

She (my sister) had said she was sitting down and paying the bills with my mom of which I had been doing here in Utah the last year of my dad's life. Until I started getting disconnection notices for utilities I was clueless. My mom and I would sit down and pay the bills together, I would write out the checks and she would sign them, thus me not taking over her life. 

No one had POA at that time.

No one knows the depth of evil that children will do for MONEY. Thank God that my sister wasn't smart enough to do a change of address or I would have never known.

Who knows what financial situations our siblings are in, I was clueless that my sister and her husband had been out of work for over a year. They were upside down on everything and saw my Mom as a bank, to solve all their problems.

Wow, and he is in Guam, is he in the Military?

I went and got my mom, and fortunately got to a Lawyer, got a Trust made out, got POA, and then ended up having her claimed incompetent  by her Doctor.

My sister filed Elder Abuse charges with Adult Protective Services against me, trying to regain control. The charges were dropped after an agent came to her home (here in Utah), and figured out I wasn't the "bad guy".

Enough about me...you are getting sound advice from everyone, that's all you need on your plate while taking care of your sister.  I do hope that the Police will help you out. I would think that defrauding the Government will hold more sway into getting that POA revoked.

Please keep all receipts, document EVERYTHING, keep all Emails,phone bills. Get some binders and have hard copies of everything. Get a small recorder, and record all phone conversations.  Putting hard proof in front of a Judge or Lawyer will help in the long run. My sister used to leave scathing messages on the answering machine, the Lawyer was shocked when I played them for him, as she (my sister) is quite the smooth talker, when it didn't involve me.

My best wishes to you in getting this resolved.  Thank goodness you are there for her.

leilani
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 3:46 PM

Thank you....

and I'm sorry it happened to your Mother.

× Close Menu