Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Mouth smacking...smacking...smacking!!
leilani
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 11:58 AM

Wondering if anyone is going through mouth and lip smacking with LO. It is constant. I took her to dentist and all if fine.
Caring4two
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 12:47 PM

What medications is your loved one taking? (Particularly antipsychotics). Could be a side affect called tardive dyskinesia. Does doctor know?
leilani
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 1:27 PM

Caring4two wrote:
What medications is your loved one taking? (Particularly antipsychotics). Could be a side affect called tardive dyskinesia. Does doctor know?
Hi...no meds for LO, except melatonin at night. 

Rescue mom
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 1:33 PM

DH with AD and other family with dementia went through phases of this, and other “tics” making odd noises at odd times. It seemed, IME, just one of those things they do for a while that make no sense to anyone else. Yes, it can be very annoying. But it may not last long, just hope it’s not replaced with something more so.
mrgladd
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 1:33 PM

One thing you might want to consider is OCD. Obsessive compulsive behaviors can surface in patients with Alzheimer's disease; the mouth smacking may not be indicative of any particular medical problem but may be a compulsive action that she cannot control or feels she has to do. In my dad's case, we know it's OCD because he can rationally explain that there is no possible way he can pick up all the pine needles around the front of the house but yet he has to do it every day or he'll lose his mind.
Sunnymansfield
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 6:07 PM

my mom grunts like a pig.  you talk about annoying!
Sunnymansfield
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 6:09 PM

could be dry mouth from meds or dentures.
leilani
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 3:28 PM

Sunnymansfield wrote:
my mom grunts like a pig.  you talk about annoying!
I just LOL...sorry. I'm sure that will be coming next...

gubblebumm
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 10:42 PM

people all have annoying habits my mom its off and on with her socks 30 times in an hours walk.  it drive me crazy, stop start stop start...let her smack, get some ear buds and try your best to ignore, it is what it is and mouth noises make me crazy...chew smack
Doityourselfer
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 2:49 AM

Earbuds/headphones are a lifesaver for me, especially when my husband is carrying on with his cursing.  I love listening to music.  I really miss going to concerts.
harshedbuzz
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 5:50 AM

It sounds like a tic. My friend's mom with late stage Alzheimer's has a partial plate clicking tic that she describes as challenging to live with. 

Mouth smacking it could also be a stereotypic behavior (what people in Autism World call a stim). The general breakdown between the two is that stimming generally is enjoyable to the individual and may even relieve stress or boredom whereas tic don not. Tardiv dyskinesia more often produces a complex tic- not just smacking, but perhaps a shrug, arm movement and vocalization together.

Tics aren't generally treated, although certain SSRIs can raise the threshold under which they don't happen as often in some people. Trying to redirect  doesn't tend to work. In some individuals an infection can lower the tic threshold- strep is the one most often observed but I have seen kids who developed tics temporarily after a viral infection. 

Music or noise canceling ear buds would be a terrific idea. 

leilani
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 10:55 AM

Thanks,

I believe it is a way to comfort herself.

MissCory
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 7:00 AM

Leilani, my mom did this. It was part of Parkinson's, which she had in addition to ALZ. Our doctors and MC director said it was very common to have both.

× Close Menu