Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
How do I handle moms dying dog
Lorraine49
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 5:17 PM

Moms dog, 11 y/o, has a throat tumor. He was given 2 months to live in July. He’s still here in February. Problem is we are dealing with the effects of his illness. He bleeds from his mouth wherever he lays. We have towels and blankets all over our home. He sleeps with mom and bleeds on her comforter even when we put blankets down. We consulted with vet. He recommended a Chinese herbal powder to try and stop bleeding. It did work however side effects was diarrhea and he went all over our rugs. We have stopped the powder and he’s back to bleeding. I have a dog and they share the same water bowl. We have to monitor it all the time. I need to put this dog down. Should I talk to her about it. When I did today she said that will kill me. I know it won’t. She’ll probably forget him pretty soon. Any help here. By the way I’m a total animal lover. Would never think about putting him down but it’s at that moment where we need to make a decision. How do I do this?
pidgeon92
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 5:54 PM

This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation. If the dog is suffering, and it sounds like it is, do put it down.  

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 6:06 PM

I think I would put the dog down. I would, however figure out a story of  how dog dies of natural causes.

Yes, it is going to horrible.......

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 7:51 PM

Yes, Lorraine, the dog needs to be taken care of. Use whatever fiblet work. However, I'd give the same advice we give to human deaths. Tell the person once. After that, use whatever fiblet works. A friend has taken him fr a walk....
Dahlke
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:45 PM

I AM A TOTAL DOG LOVER.  The comfort and love that my 4 legged friends  have gifted to me cannot be measured.  I have had 2 that I have loved without reservation;  one  that I had to make that difficult decision.  I chose to end her misery.  I  took her to the Vet and  HELD  her when she left this world.  I brought her home and buried her close to home. BE merciful. God Loves dogs and all other creatures.

Dahlke (Cynthia)   

gubblebumm
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 10:30 PM

Please do NOT keep the dog "alive" becuase mom may get upset, that's so unfair to the dog!  I have rescued senior dogs for decades and I have to say, while hard to do, its  best for the dog.  I don't care if mom has a hissy fit, its wrong to let an animal suffer.  Lie, fib, blame the vet whatever, and I have never ever ever met a person who had to do this who says they did it too soon, often its why did i let that poor animal suffer for me?  Let the poor creature free and let the chips fall...this is like so obvious I don't even understand the question

gubblebumm
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 10:32 PM

You do it.  Animals will hide their pain and discomfort for us, that is their nature.  It hard, it sucks, but why let them suffer for out own discomfort?
VRAAB
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 10:45 PM

Lorraine, I feel for you and your mom.  I am in a similar boat.  My DH and I own two elderly dachshunds.  One is 14 yrs old and is having several health issues.  A week ago she had a seizure? heart episode? thought she was dying but she bounced back.  After lots of testing at the vet, all we know is her liver enzymes are elevated and she has heart issues.  Been on heart meds and diuretic for over a year.  Had diarrhea for two weeks but changed her diet to senior dog food and at least that has stopped for now.  DH however was in tears when she had her episode and I was trying to console him along with my dog at the time.  I thought the vet would recommend putting her to sleep but no they didn't, they want more testing, liver ultrasound. For now she seems stable but I worry about the dog having another episode and how my DH will take it.  I did have a talk with DH about not wanting her to be in pain and how she might be suffering. He was agreeable that he didn't want her to be in pain so at least I have planted the seed about the future possibilities.  I do kind of like jfkoc suggestion about making up a fiblet about how it passed of natural causes, if its possible.
caregiving daughter
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:53 AM

I hope the dog is comfortable. If the dog is in pain, I would truly talk to the vet on next steps. Just wanted to share that my mom was a HUGE animal lover. She was unable to take her dog to memory care. After the transition, she never asked about the dog. I made sure when comfort dogs were brought into the long-term care home, that my mom would be visited. Unfortunately, she didn't pay any attention to those dogs either.

× Close Menu