Standard Monthly Site Maintenance Scheduled for Sunday, July 21st from 8:00 p.m. CT to 2 a.m. CT.  Click here for more information.

RSS Feed Print
Going through day-to-day activities :
Charles 1
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 10:34 AM

Would like to talk with someone that has recently been diagnosed with dementia or should I say advanced dementia… And how are you dealing with family members?  My name is Charles , i’m a very private person but I’m reaching out .
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 11:53 AM

Welcome Charles.  I was told I had dementia in 2010.  I live alone and do not have family close by, and my two very close friends abandoned me.  Thus I am reluctant to disclose to the public about a diagnosis of dementia.  I have learned that it is a good idea for me to make my own decisions and to make my own plans for myself.  

From my readings on this board, I find that many family members are clueless about how PWDs (persons with dementia) feel and what our needs are.  There seems to be quite a lot of conflict and resulting distress for the PWD.  Other members may have more input.  Can you tell us how you are dealing with your own family members? 

Iris L.

Vik
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 5:06 PM

Charles, i am a very private person also so i can relate to ur predicament. I am very happy tho that u took a big step in joining this group. Ive only been a member for a couple of weeks but hav learned SO MUCH from other peoples postings. Being a shy person myself, i just joined thinking i would read all the posts, and never dreamed i would b postimg within a week!  But it was the openness and compassion i read that inspired me to "open" myself up to the others on this site.  I cant say enough how much i hav learned from everyone! I do hav ro admit tho, that simetimed instart cryimg and cant finish a persons post.  I think that is an ok thing to do tho, bcuz im settimg boundaries for myself and taking care of myself. I hope will gain as much as i hav from everyone's postings!  I said in an earlier post that you may not hav seen, but i am open to questions from you (or others). Hang in there and know that you are not alone! Even tho i had told my friends and many family members, i still felt ALONE!  Then when i started reading everyones posts, i didnt feel alone AT ALL! Keep reading and if you can, please post as we can learn from ur experiences!
Bestgrandma
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 11:59 PM

Charles I too was diagnosed about a month ago and just recently found this support group. I was overwhelmed with the diagnosis of dementia but like Vic I have learned so much reading others posts & asking questions. I am working through the depression and anxiety right now. I have told my friends and family & they are supportive. However I still believe that I will benefit from the support I get from everyone here.

× Close Menu