RSS Feed Print
After a diagnosis for the solo patient...
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 9, 2019 11:15 AM

There are many things to think about.  Thanks to Mimi, we know about Best Practices.  We know about getting our financial and legal affairs in order.  I want to focus on one aspect that does not get much attention.  That being, determining where to live?  

As a solo, is my current living situation safe and comfortable for me?  How long can I expect to be able to live alone?  What accommodations do I need to make to continue to live alone?  Do I want to continue to live alone?  What are my options?  Will someone move in with me, or will I move in with someone?  Or will I move to an appropriate community that has facilities and staff to assist a person with dementia?  What are my financial resources to support my decision? 

It is important to monitor your progress in caring for yourself.  Read about instrumental activities of daily living. Think about how you can make accommodations.  Aim to be a step ahead of changes.

In my own case, I have determined that I can remain in my own home for many years.  Of course, this is dependent upon possible changes.   I have a two bedroom condominium, so there is room for another person if necessary.  My mortgage is paid off.  I live very close to shopping.  I am on two bus routes in a city with good public transportation.  I am close to medical and other resources.  

What I am doing now, and actually have been doing for the past few years, is getting rid of excess possessions.  This is necessary because we do better in a simplified environment.  

I hope this is of help to my fellow solos. 

Iris L.

Smilesyourway
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 11:23 PM

Hey there Ms. Iris:

I'm not solo, but still trying to make all the decisions I possibly can for my family.  I think having as much done as possible is a gift to them.  All the points to ponder you listed are so important.  I of course do NOT want to go to a place that is a lock down, but is it selfish to expect my family to care for me?  I have Long Term care that will come into play at some point. 

I, like you mentioned in your post NEED to get my @$$ in gear and get this house depleted.  I've made headway, but have MORE to go.  Pitch and muck out the unessary.  <-- I have plenty.  Together we can do it. 

Smiles

× Close Menu