Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Any ideas on places to travel to?
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 6:57 AM

Please let me know of places you have travel to that are not on this list below that you though were great places and why. Looking for places to add to my bucket list. I am thinking of Antarctica just because that will mean I traveled to all of the 7 continents but don’t know anything about it. Thanks for your input.  I am not looking for places in the US as my wife can do that on her own after I am gone. 

United States

Alaska

Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway

California

San Francisco, Tiburon, Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Jose, Sausalito

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Daytona Beach, Key West, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville

Hawaii

Oahu – Honolulu

Hawaii – Kona, Hilo

Maui – Lahaina

Kuaui –

Illinois

Chicago

Louisiana

New Orleans

Maine

Bar Harbor, Portland

Maryland

Massachusetts

Cape Cod, Boston, Martha’s Vineyard,

Nevada

Las Vegas

New Jersey

New York

South Carolina

Virginia

Virginia Beach, Williamsburg

Africa

Capetown

Johannesburg

Kruger National Park (Skukusa)

Victoria Falls

Asia

China

Beijing, Hong Kong, Qingdoa, Shanghai, Tianjin

Japan

Ishigaki, Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Naha

Philippines

Manila

South Korea

Busan, Incheon, Jeju City, Seoul

Taiwan

Kaohsuing, Keelung, Taipei

Australia

Adelaide, Airlie Beach, Brisbane, Darwin, Esperance, Melbourne, Newcastle, Perth, Port Hedland, Sydney

Bahamas

Nassau, Paradise Island, Grand Bahama Island

Bermuda

British Columbia

Vancouver

Canada

Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, Niagra Falls, Halifax, Prince Edward Island

Caribbean

Aruba

Barbados

Belize-Belize City

Curacao

Grand Cayman

Grenada

Haiti-Labadee

Jamaica- Ocho Rios, Negril

Puerto Rico-San Juan

St. Lucia

St. Martin

St. Thomas

Tortola

Europe

Croatia

Dubrovnik

Denmark

Copenhagen, Fredericia

England

Dover, London

Estonia

Tallinn

Faroe Islands

Finland

Helsinki

France

Aix-en-Provence, Cannes, Eze, Nice, Paris, Toulon

Germany

Berlin, Warnemunde

Greece

Athens, Mykonos, Oia, Santorini

Ireland

Belfast, Dublin

Italy

AnaCapri, Capri, Florence, Naples, Pisa, Positano, Rome, Sorrento, Venice 

Malta

Valletta

Monaco

Montenegro

Kotor

Netherlands

Amsterdam

Norway

Alesund, Bergen

Romania

Brasov, Bucharest, Siniai

Russia

St. Petersburg

Scotland

Glascow

Shetland Islands

Spain

Barcelona

Sweden

Stockholm

Switzerland

Bern, Lausanne, Lucerne, Montreux, Vevey

Turkey

Kusadasi

Iceland

Torshavn, Rejavik

Indonesia

Bali (Benoa)

Mexico

Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Huatulco, Playa del Carmen

Middle East

Israel

Akko, Be’er Sheva, Beit She’an, Caesarea, Eilat, Golan Heights, Jaffa, Jerusalem, Judean Desert, Haifa, Negev Desert, Northern Israel, Tel Aviv, Tiberias, Timna, Tzfat

Jordan

Petra

United Arab Emirates

Abu Dhabi, Dubai

New Zealand

Akaroa, Auckland, Bay of Islands, Dunedin, Tauranga

South/Central America

Argentina – Buenos Aires, Ushaia, Puerto Madryn

Brazil - Buzios, Ilhabela, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo,

Chile – Valparaiso, Santiago, Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas

Colombia-Cartagena

Costa Rica-Punta Arenas

Ecuador- Quito

Galapagos Islands

Guatemala-

Honduras -Roatan

Peru – Aquas Calientes (Machu Picchu), Cusco, Lima, Sacred Valley

Uraguay- Montevideo, Punta del Este

zauberflote
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 7:29 AM

Family traveled to Antarctica one February and sent gorgeous photos. 

US: Pocahontas County, WV

If you are a whitewater kayaker or a historian, Richmond VA

Albany NY, Thacher State Park and its absolutely unique geology

zauberflote
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 7:33 AM

However, I regret to inform you that Daytona Beach is farther south than Virginia. Perhaps your notes got confused. There is a famous Daytona Beach in Florida, which was beautiful 60 years ago, but has succumbed to tourism and the almighty dollar in the intervening years.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 7:57 AM

Thanks so much for catching that error. I am sure I probably mist a few item on my list. 

BethL
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 8:43 AM

Michael, Is the list you published all places you have already been to, or your current bucket list? If it's your bucket list, it's pretty extensive and ambitious and you better get moving! ha!

The only places I can think to add is Finland, Sweden and Denmark; and Viet Nam.

Enjoy your travels!

p.s. Perhaps a round the world cruise; I saw one that lasted 6 months and visited 44 countries. I don't have any details as it's way beyond what I would consider doing although a great opportunity for the right person.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 9:00 AM

Love your thinking BethL. I wanted to take a long cruise but my wife still works. The most time she can get is about 6 weeks. We had just take a 33 day trip. That list are palaces I have gone with my wife .  I think I went to Finland, Sweden and Denmark. I will need to check. I thought I was going to Viet Nam on this last trip but I was confused and did not go.

Its going to be harder to get more time off for my wife now because she will be taking time off to be on our boat in the summer. Looking forward to that. 

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 9:05 AM

When we travel we travel hard....museums, churches, galleries, castles etc. We eat street food and always loose weight. 

What Do you like to do when you travel? I will edit my list accordingly.

harshedbuzz
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 9:23 AM

To your list I would add:

I like mid-coast Maine. Portland is a walkable town with a vibrant beer and food scene. Allagash and Maine Beer Company are worth the trip if you like craft beer. Brunswick is an adorable town to amble about. Harpswell Inn is a lovely place to stay in the area with The Dolphin for lunch or dinner. 

In the Caribbean, I would add Anguilla during carnival which is early August. The people who live there are some of the warmest in the world and their lobster and beaches are justifiably famous. One highlight of carnival are the boat races in which "Hard Lee" racing is the rule. 

I hear Virgin Gorda (BVI), Eleuthera, Abacos and Harbour Island (Bahamas) are lovely.

In France- Strasbourg and the wine route are enchanting- like falling into a fairytale. 

Safe travels.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 10:08 AM

It is so hard to say what I like any more as I have changed so much and I seem to change on every trip we take. I once liked a very busy trip from morning to night and no sea days. Now I need to have a structed plan for were we go and with a small group. I do need some down time after 3 days as I am now beat and over whelmed. Sadly I can no longer understand most tour guides as its overwhelming trying to listen to them so I usually tune them out. Otherwise I get a headache.

I love seeing new places and building architecture. I like to taste the food for the area I am in and like people watching to see how they are different.  I must try all of the local beers were ever I am. I also like to try the foods they are know for. Not sure how you lose weight as I keep gaining it no matter how hard I try.

Not to much into museums any more unless they as very famous museums. Most tourist traps in my opinion. Places of worship are interesting but after seeing the most famous places the others are not as interesting any more. Same about the castles. I din like Japan and China because they were very different than anything else, I have seen. People were also so very different. I love to see art but not all kinds.

Some of my favorite places were. Dubai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Panama Cannel cruise. And Africa at the top of my list which I would like to go back to for about 3 weeks.  

I have greatly changed as this last time I did not even take my camera out of the room even though I had it with me. I always took thousands of pictures. My wife was using her phone to take some. I am slowly falling apart and my wife needs to keep an I on me so I don’t get lost. I actually have a fear of getting lost when in big crowds. 

BethL
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 3:34 PM

Wow, you have had some incredible travels - lots of them! I see you didn't mention Russia so that's a possibility, and also Egypt, Jordan, Israel. Maybe consult a travel agent for ideas; they know of lots of exotic locations that I couldn't think of.
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 4:39 PM

I have never been on a cruise and have yet to see the appeal unless it is sponsored by Smithsonian. Then I would enjoy the lectures. 

When you go for 4 weeks and stay in a different b&b almost every night it is easy to loose weight.

I am from Chicago and can suggest the Art Institute and lunch in the courtyard. Also a visit to the Oriental Institute tucked away on the U of Chicago campus. The architecture boat tours are a must....day and night.. 

The Bahama Beach Club on Abaco. wonderful feeling of being off the beaten patch. You can golf cart to town ( about 5 businesses) have wonderful fish cooked in your condo. A side trip by boat to Guana Key for lunch at Nippers. 

New Orleans. Stay in the Audubon Cottages. You can bike all over town.

Charleston. Lunch at Magnolia Plantation and general walking around

Beaufort then

Savannah is a sort drive south. Another beautiful walkable city. Take a day trip to the outer islands and to Daufuskie Island. I think there are 10 breweries.

You can continue on to St Augustine and then home from Jacksonville.

Just checked....American Cruise lines has all of this on a cruise.

Vancouver....we rented a trawler and captain from Granville Island boat rental and cruised the Gulf Islands. Even got our captains licenses

Spello Italy. You will not want to leave.

North side of the St Lawrence and ferry over at Riviere-du Loup (sp) Lots of whales.

These are some of my favorites. I will keep thinking

Suziesb
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:00 AM

Hi there,

To add to California: we live in Santa Barbara, in Southern CA, and I highly suggest you add that area. It's beautiful and moderate in temperature. Check it out on the internet and you'll see why it's called the American Riviera! 

Also, for Asia, I loved Thailand and Indonesia. I would like to travel to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos as well, but I haven't been to those countries.

India was interesting. I would only go back to visit the Taj Majal, however.

Best to you,

Suzanne

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 1:04 AM

Go to Fairbanks Alaska and see the northern lights.  I think you can only see them in winter, though.

Michael, do you want to see sites or have experiences?  Perhaps knowing this can help you make up your mind.

I don't think I can do any more long air trips after my current one.  I want to keep cruising; it's easier.

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:05 AM

I can not thank you all enough because my original list had many holes in it. As you keep mention places, I realized I thought I had been there but it was not on my list. After further research it turns out I was there but never added it. So I have now updated the list above.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:38 AM

Michael et al.....this is a great thread!

romiha
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:09 AM

Looks like your list is missing lots of US states west of the Mississippi ... Missouri, Kansas (I live in Kansas!), the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona ... The Grand Canyon is spectacular.  I took my kids there a couple decades ago and booked a fixed-wing aircraft ride over the Grand Canyon.  I loved it.  My son was only 8 or 9 and after a couple of minutes was back to playing with his GameBoy.

Envious of all your travels!  I agree that Antarctica would be awesome to visit.  I would  love some day to also visit Hudson Bay.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:24 AM

The reason I have not traveled a lot in the US is because I rather go to places that are harder to travel now as we are younger. As we get older we can do the places closer that don’t require as much travel by plane. I also wanted to make great memories for my wife so my dises is not what she remembers but the good times we had. If it was not for my dises I would not have done all of this travel. So that is the positive side of having it. It is getting much harder for me to do these long travels and I feel like I may not be able to continue doing it much longer. The plane rides can really take a toll on you. 

Suziesb
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:08 PM

It is a great thread, I agree. I've enjoyed reading others' posts. I haven't been able to get away this past year but maybe later this year I will try.

Was South Africa on the list? My son-in-law is from there and it's on my bucket list. He and my daughter visited last year and it's so very beautiful. 

I also want to go to Morocco and Spain.

What I love most about traveling is meeting people and making new friends. Yes, and the food

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:54 AM

South Africa was my favorite place out of all the places I have traveled. It was also my wife’s and she did not want to go. We both would like to go back and we do not like to go back to a place because there are so many other places to see. I use to love to make new friends and sit on large tables with new people but I hate that now days and just need to sit with my wife in a very quite area. 

vaeagen
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 2:05 PM

Kiev, UKRAINE! Now full disclosure, my father was born in Ukraine....way before WWII. He passed away suddenly in 1981. I have always wanted to go. The opportunity came this past Sept....long story and it was great. Lots of great things to see in the capitol city. Lots of English, a subway and lots of energentic excited people. Another big plus is the exchange rate is really good in our favor. You can buy everything for a really great price....not imports to the country I mean things made there.

You gotta go!

Valerie

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:18 AM

This is one of my highlights from my recent trip. We had just arrived on the island where they have an active volcano. I was just going into the room to watch a quick movie that explains the volcano when a lady came running in saying the volcano just erupted. Our tour guide started apologies over and over for this. I thought it was the greatest opportunity to have for this to happen while I was there. There was so much ash in the air that feel that I wrote my name in it and you can see my foot prints. I had to cover my mouth with tissues so I could breathe without inhaling ash in my lungs. What are the odds of something like that happening? 
File Attachment(s):
miachael1 resized.jpg (172799 bytes)

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:19 AM

This is the other picture
File Attachment(s):
michael2 resized(1).jpg (151552 bytes)

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:38 AM

!!!!! WOW !!!!!!

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 2:40 PM

Michael, what type of camera did you use?

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:52 AM

I did not use my good camera as that is a story for another day. I had my wife take the picture with her cellphone. 

Crushed
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 5:26 PM

IMHO  Yellowstone National Park is like no place else on Earth.
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:09 AM

Michael, the photos are very sharp.  Your wife did a great job taking them.  Someone at Memory Club mentioned Uncruise.  It's a small cruise ship or yacht line carrying about 70-80 passengers on adventures to Alaska, Costa Rica and other places.  You can google Uncruise.

Iris

× Close Menu